• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you find London unsafe?

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd say so. But as its already been pointed out to have 1.2 stabbings per week in a city that size is incredibly safe.

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The East End with its chavs and hoodies has always seemed particularly repugnant. It's not a city I'd feel safe in, for what it's worth.

legit

Reaction score
I felt pretty safe in the two weeks I spent in London.

I also didn't go out of Zone 2 via subway either. I'm not familiar with the layout so much or the worst crime areas.

Mr Herbert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i felt pretty safe when i stayed in walthomstow for a week

ive always found other european cities much more threatening (barcelona, amsterdam, rome). i just avoid loud drunk youths when in in London (or Australia for that matter) because nothing good can come of them.

magogian12345

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But wait, I don't understand how people were shot in London. Guns are banned . . .

onion

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Based on statistics London is far, far safer than where I live, Charlotte NC, which I consider to be safe enough. I know I don't walk around scared at night...

My city averages around 1.5 murder per week (London around 2 per week), however we have roughly 1/10 the population....

My city = 1 murder per 9,230 people

London = 1 murder per 57,700 people

So yeah, in my book, London is pretty f'n safe.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by magogian12345
But wait, I don't understand how people were shot in London. Guns are banned . . .

There is very little gun violence in London...did you stupidly think that banning guns would eliminate all gun violence and maybe even all violence? I know I still prefer London to some of the more gun totting US cities.

bcpool

Reaction score
It's not just large cities. Look up the crime rate of Clovis, NM sometime. Here in Amarillo, TX they just sentenced a guy for shooting a Londener who was visiting Route 66.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I have never found London unsafe, but then again I almost never roam beyond the safest parts.

I have been following UK crime stats with interest for about 10 years however and there is no question that safety there has plummetted over that period (and before). The UK used to be remarkably safer that the US across the board but isn't any more. It's a shame.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
Last year's murder rate in London was apparently the lowest in 20 years.

The murder rate in the UK is still lower than the rate in the US. Nearly every other kind of crime is either higher or comparable, with property crimes being far more common.

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
I have never found London unsafe, but then again I almost never roam beyond the safest parts. I have been following UK crime stats with interest for about 10 years however and there is no question that safety there has plummetted over that period (and before). The UK used to be remarkably safer that the US across the board but isn't any more. It's a shame.
Why...?

v0rtex

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
I have been following UK crime stats with interest for about 10 years however and there is no question that safety there has plummetted over that period (and before). The UK used to be remarkably safer that the US across the board but isn't any more. It's a shame.

This is incorrect; http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2010/ja...ted-drop-crime describes an 8% overall drop, murders dropping to a 22-year low, 16% drop in knife robbery.

Having said that, I feel far safer walking around US cities than I do UK ones at night. There's more violent crime in general over here in the US, but you're far less likely to get caught up in it as an innocent bystander. Weekend nights in the UK are a good way to get attacked by drunken youth looking for a fight.

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by v0rtex
This is incorrect; http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2010/ja...ted-drop-crime describes an 8% overall drop, murders dropping to a 22-year low, 16% drop in knife robbery. Having said that, I feel far safer walking around US cities than I do UK ones at night. There's more violent crime in general over here in the US, but you're far less likely to get caught up in it as an innocent bystander. Weekend nights in the UK are a good way to get attacked by drunken youth looking for a fight.
The problem with these type of statistics is that they only deal with reported crimes(murders will probably be a more accurate figure in this regard).

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Honestly I've walked around in London at night and taken the night bus and never had problems, there are some rowdy people and I saw some fights but it isnt that bad, generally speaking. You just have to make sure to avoid the puddles of puke and passed out people...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics