• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

edubs01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stopped by the SOBE store today before my flight tonight.
The SS Red Chambray is $225 and is a linen mix.
I was really hoping that they would have the LS Green Chambray but they didn't....will have to cop in NY next weekend.
They also had a pair of red chinos for $240.

Trapp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grundletaint
30 in straight (******* awesome cut)

The straight is an awesome cut. Has the cut changed since El duderino's picture post on page 90 of this thread? The straight legs that I tried on yesterday seemed much slimmer in the leg and more fitted all around. I think I must have sized down a little more than El duderino but I'm not sure sizing down could account for the difference.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edubs01
Stopped by the SOBE store today before my flight tonight.
The SS Red Chambray is $225 and is a linen mix.
I was really hoping that they would have the LS Green Chambray but they didn't....will have to cop in NY next weekend.
They also had a pair of red chinos for $240.

Damn, I must have missed it. I was there yesterday.

grundletaint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Trapp
The straight is an awesome cut. Has the cut changed since El duderino's picture post on page 90 of this thread? The straight legs that I tried on yesterday seemed much slimmer in the leg and more fitted all around. I think I must have sized down a little more than El duderino but I'm not sure sizing down could account for the difference.
i think they looked kind of like that when i put on my usual 32. i actually almost didn't get them because of it but since the rise is higher than normal i tried the 30 and it fits great - much slimmer than those pics and almost like a different cut entirely compared to the 32. i really like them.
IMG_0974.jpg

el duderino

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Trapp

The straight legs are more of a 50s cut when you size true to size to the waist and consequently have a looser fit. Although this guy is sagging a little, I find this to be the expected fit for straight leg at TTS

rrldenim_4857404_1.jpg

If you want a slimmer fitting straight leg, sizing down would work, but if you are paying full retail, I'd much rather spend the extra 50 and get Warehouse #800 at TTS.

Trapp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's much closer to the fit I had. I may have gone down even one more size, as I had trouble buttoning (and almost took them right off).

Once the button fastened, they fit good everywhere. I wore them around the shop for a few minutes and in that short time the waist stretched enough to be comfortable. I'm sold on that cut--just need to find some raw ones in size 30 on ebay.

oceansaway

Reaction score
Originally Posted by el duderino
The straight legs are more of a 50s cut when you size true to size to the waist and consequently have a looser fit. Although this guy is sagging a little, I find this to be the expected fit for straight leg at TTS

He's sagging more than a little. He looks like he dropped a serious load in his pants.

el duderino

Reaction score
Originally Posted by oceansaway
He's sagging more than a little. He looks like he dropped a serious load in his pants.

i have no idea how TTS would come up with a fit like that.

Regardless of the how much he is sagging (nowhere near the other dude who posted previously in this thread), the looseness of the legs looks normal for the Straight Leg. Grundle's pic make his straight legs look exactly like how a Low Straight fits when you fit your waist properly.

The fact Trapp said he had a similar fit to grundle, but mentioned he had trouble buttoning just confirms that people will get anti-fit you go TTS to waist. Due to the higher rise, you may be able to get away with sizing down more than the normal 2" from tagged RRL sizes.

My true waist size is 32 and as you can tell, a 30 on me looks completely different from grundle who appears to have a true 34 waist based on the sizes he listed he wears in other RRL models. To compare I wear 30 in officer chinos, low straight, slim boot, and straight leg.

grundletaint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i dunno. maybe i have huge legs? my hips are 34. the 30 is exactly where the rise governs it should sit at my waist without need of a belt, and not on my hips as lower rise jeans do. no struggle to button, etc. i tried a 32 and i could pull them off without even unbuttoning them. a 34 would look like a jay-z fit. the other sizes i listed are, indeed, sized for sitting at the top of my hips. the straights are already starting to slide down that direction after a few days. here's a back shot of them
IMG_0973.jpg

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the best way to wear the straight fits is to size down a couple. I broke in a pair of the straight raws and over the past year and didn't get a fit anywhere near as big as the picture posted above. At the loosest, I could maybe get the jeans off without unbuttoning. I find the jeans offer a straight cut with a bit more room in the seat and thighs than most slim fits, but aren't baggy or relaxed at all when sized down a couple.

el duderino

Reaction score
i dunno. maybe i have huge legs? my hips are 34. the 30 is exactly where the rise governs it should sit at my waist without need of a belt, and not on my hips as lower rise jeans do.

Ah, it's prob due to hip size differences. My lower torso to hips are fairly straight so I wear a 16" aligned waist for both low/higher rise pants. There's no way I could pull the 30 straight legs off without unbuttoning and I don't have to wear belts with any of my RRL pants.

Originally Posted by Alcibiades
I think the best way to wear the straight fits is to size down a couple. I broke in a pair of the straight raws and over the past year and didn't get a fit anywhere near as big as the picture posted above. At the loosest, I could maybe get the jeans off without unbuttoning. I find the jeans offer a straight cut with a bit more room in the seat and thighs than most slim fits, but aren't baggy or relaxed at all when sized down a couple.

True, the point I was trying to get across is that the Straight Legs are meant to be anti-fit and loose when you don't size down. Maybe it's due to lurking on sufu in superdenim, but I've come to appreciate looser repro cuts. To me the Straight Legs are very similar to Warehouse 700 but with less hip flare. When sized down, they don't really look that much different than Low Straights other than offering a higher rise which is a little redundant for me.

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So is the new labeled sizing on RRL denim now actual waist size? i.e.: tagged 34 means 34 measured? The preceding discussion plus items I've seen on ebay (and had confirmed through emails with the buyer) plus grundle's sales thread make me think so.

Then if we are talking about sizing down, in this example, we'd be talking about sizing down from true waist - whereas in the past a 32 labeled would be about 34 measured waist, sizing down 1 would mean 31. But now it means going to a 33 tagged?

And then finally, if this is all true, when did this new labeling take place, and how do you tell new from old? Does it coincide with the new upside-down stitching?

FWIW, an SA told me there was all new denim coming out, but he couldn't really say what was different. He said the cuts were the same. Maybe he was referring to the new sizing scheme?

pg600rr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ not from my recent purchases and stuff I have tried on, a 34 actually measures like 37"-38". FWIW ebay sellers have no ******* clue how to measure.. for the most part. 99% of RRL ebayers have the wrong measurements and I have bought several items in which they swore up and down via email that a 34" RRL measured exactly 24" maybe 35" only to have it arrive and actually be like 37".

I only wear the slim boots and slim cut so I dont know about new sizing if you are only referring to straight cut.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads