• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why a bow tie's not just for schmucks

Korben

Reaction score
I wear a bow tie occasionally just to change things up a bit. Just have to be confident and you can pull it off.

Brogued

Reaction score
Originally Posted by matt22616
They are fairly common in the Southeast up to D.C. Like every thing sartorial, if you have confidence no one will think you look like a 'dork'. They will think you eat cocaine off America's gravestone. Chances are, if you start a thread on the internet asking if you should wear one, you shouldn't.

So true. I wear a lot of silly **** and mostly pull it off but I don't go near the bowties, because I don't believe in them.

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I totaly agree with you and did a topic on this once back in college. The main reason is that most men can't figure out how to tie one and do not have the time in the morning to fool with it. Another reason is that they are hardly seen and most men to not want to alienate or single themselfs out like that by wearign one. I will say that there are more pros then cons to wearing one, i have a post here on that very subject but Most men are concerned with apperance more then functuality of their clothing so that dosen't really matter in the end.

southernstyle

Reaction score
15938_204081772525_750727525_4132775_8106829_n.jpg
Sporting a bow for Thanksgiving, I've grown very fond of wearing bowties.

ferguscan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Bow ties are either:
(a) for formal dress
(b) affected
(c) dorky
(d) hipsterish

Untrue. Satan himself wears it well
smile.gif

DBCheckerboard.jpg

Scoundrel

Reaction score
Originally Posted by southernstyle

I would've thought this pic is a reason against. Seriously though, it can be done; it's just that too many people here couldn't (they're already too clean cut as it is).

jekyoo_style

Reaction score
Unless you're going for the dorky/hip look, wearing a bow tie casually around makes you look to overdressed.

jekyoo_style

Reaction score
Originally Posted by southernstyle

Not really feeling this outfit. Bow ties only look right when the whole attire is fitted.

Makeshift_Robot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jekyoo_style
Not really feeling this outfit. Bow ties only look right when the whole attire is fitted.

Yeah, I think this really illustrates a key point: for a bow tie to work, everyone has to assume you're wearing a goofy style on purpose. When you're wearing your dad's blazer and some Dockers (and you're thirteen years old), everyone is going to assume you just don't know what the **** you're doing in general.

Southernstyle, unless this fit is a joke, either
1) upgrade everything in your outfit until it fits you like a champ
2) stop dressing like a middle manager at his kid's lacrosse match

Sorry to be so brusque, but those are your options if you want anyone to ever take you seriously.

Makeshift_Robot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As an aside, I really like wearing a bow tie with casual apparel. Generally, I'll wear a non-dressy button-down, tie on a bow tie, rumple it right the **** up, and throw a tasteful streetwear jacket over that. The key is to make sure the bow tie is not sitting right out there in the open, but is obscured a little by the shirt or jacket collar; make it more of a detail and a pop of color than the center of an outfit.

jekyoo_style

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Makeshift_Robot
As an aside, I really like wearing a bow tie with casual apparel. Generally, I'll wear a non-dressy button-down, tie on a bow tie, rumple it right the **** up, and throw a tasteful streetwear jacket over that. The key is to make sure the bow tie is not sitting right out there in the open, but is obscured a little by the shirt or jacket collar; make it more of a detail and a pop of color than the center of an outfit.

that guy speaks truth. a bow tie looks best when it's casually done.

side topic, you should be studying for finals (assuming you go to uofi). procrastination ftw!

Tibor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you are a gentleman and you wear a bow tie you will look like a gentleman, if you are a schmuck and you wear a bow tie you will look like a schmuck, it is that simple, period.

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I see them all the time in New Orleans, and not just on fellow attorneys.

I don't know how to tie a bowtie, and every time I have made gestures towards buying one, the spousal unit gives me a veto. I had a great one in my hand a week ago that I wanted to try with my seersucker jacket, but I got the "put that back" look. LOL.

I would not feel self-conscious wearing one at all. Of course, I don't mind people looking at me or thinking I am an asshole.
laugh.gif

Mike

Wallcloud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wear bow ties quite frequently. I have only once recieved a negative comment and get positive feedback quite frequently.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads