• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cool non-iPhone Cellular Phones

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bkk
Back in my day, the only Google phone was the G1.
People seem to be confused. The G1 is not a "Google phone". It's an HTC Dream. Only of note because it was the first mobile device to be built to use Android. The only designed and branded Google phone is the Nexus One. (Manufactured by HTC, but under the Google brand) It is only available for sale through Google, It has the Google logo on the back. It doesn't have another name. It's the Google Nexus One.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
Looks pretty sweet, unfortunately it's on Verizon's network...
devil.gif

True that. Who would want a network that is reliable and won't drop 20% of all calls? You guys can all stay with AT&T. I'll stick with my better customer service and better network, the company I've been using for 9 years and have literally never had an issue with.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
True that. Who would want a network that is reliable and won't drop 20% of all calls? You guys can all stay with AT&T. I'll stick with my better customer service and better network, the company I've been using for 9 years and have literally never had an issue with.
Come on Kyle. You know better than this. There isn't a major network that drops anywhere NEAR 20% of all calls. AT&T and Verizon are very similar in their network reliability ratings. (As tested by 3rd party tester) - and AT&T is at the moment, faster in nearly all markets. They are both overpriced and each has spotty customer service. FWIW, I was an AT&T/Cingular/AT&T Wireless customer continuously from 1998-2010. I also had to deal with Verizon for work for several years. They can be just as big a ************* company as anyone else.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
Come on Kyle. You know better than this. There isn't a major network that drops anywhere NEAR 20% of all calls. AT&T and Verizon are very similar in their network reliability ratings. (As tested by 3rd party tester) - and AT&T is at the moment, faster in nearly all markets.

They are both overpriced and each has spotty customer service.

FWIW, I was an AT&T/Cingular/AT&T Wireless customer continuously from 1998-2010. I also had to deal with Verizon for work for several years. They can be just as big a ************* company as anyone else.

Sure, the 20% was bullshit. But I stand by everything else I've said. I've consistently received good customer service and have never had any bad issues in the near decade I've been using Verizon. So as an individual, regardless of what anyone else's experience has been, I have absolutely no reason to even think about changing.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Sure, the 20% was bullshit. But I stand by everything else I've said. I've consistently received good customer service and have never had any bad issues in the near decade I've been using Verizon. So as an individual, regardless of what anyone else's experience has been, I have absolutely no reason to even think about changing.
Most people don't have issues that make them think about switching. The ones that do... switch. Here's a little secret for you. All major phone carriers are essentially the same. Right now, AT&T has the best network in almost all major metro areas. Last year they didn't. Next year, they probably won't. The only real difference between any wireless provider and another is what phones they have. As far as pricing goes, there is a modicum of collusion between most providers that keep things generally in line. Of course, The $456 a year I'm saving with T-Mobile over AT&T and the phone I wanted for $179 instead of $529 was a pretty good reason for me to switch.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bkk
Back in my day, the only Google phone was the G1.

I've still got a G1. I was one of the first in Houston to have one.

Slim is right. It's an HTC phone with the "Google OS" Android.

I keep holding off on pulling the trigger on a new phone ( and I'm out of contract ).

I'm very satisfied with T-mobile as a cell phone company. And I was real close to getting a Nexus when it first came out. But I was deterred by the Google sales model. It was BS dealing with them via Email and mailing the phone back and forth to HTC for warranty issues. And it got my attention when I noticed that the manager of my local brick and mortar T-mobile store had a Nexus and didn't know how to use many of the features! Maybe I've been spoiled by the T-mobile service on the G1. It's a dated phone but they still have a G1 service group when you call 611 and they are very helpful. If the Nexus was sold directly by T-mobile I would get one immediately.

Then I saw the HTC HD2 at T-mobile. It's made by HTC and is a beautiful piece of hardware that is superior ( as hardware IMO ) to the Nexus. But the damn thing has Windows Mobile 6.5 ( which I don't like ) and will not be upgradeable to Windows Mobile 7 ( which is supposed to be a true competitor to the Android OS ). So I held off on the HTC HD2.

The plan now is to get a Sprint HTC EVO ( which is basically an improved HTC HD2, but with the latest Android OS ). It comes out in a few months. I'm kind of leery about switching to Sprint from T-mobile, but I'll do some DD and research and see if it makes sense.

My other option is to wait until this summer ( or probably till Oct. or Nov. ) and look at the new iphone which I think will be on the Verizon network. If T-mobile sold a really good Android phone directly from their company I would buy it immediately.

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting aside, the HTC Magic/Touch was branded as a google phone here in Japan, but sold through Docomo. Big ol Google logo on the back of my gf's phone and no where do they mention HTC except in the phone code name (HT-01). Also all the TV spots and print ads called it "Google Keitai"

Also Verizon is a dickshit company. *********** me for roaming data usage when I went to Hawaii for a week about 7 years ago. The log made no sense either, showed multiple contradictory connections. They refused to admit fault and charged me $300.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
Verizon is branding every Android phone they come out with the name "Droid". I'm not sure why. Maybe they think people can't remember the whole word "Android".

Google phone = Nexus One. None of the other Android phones are made for Google. In fact, some of them don't even have Google apps built in. (AT&T... I'm talking about you)

FWIW, when he asked about it being the line of "Google phones" I took that to mean phones with Google's OS i.e. Android.

jekyoo_style

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lemmywinks
I am going to get a new phone. Not an iPhone. I'd like something kinda cool and fun.

What type of phones would I be looking at? My carrier is Verizon.

Like everyone has mentioned, definitely pick up the HTC Droid Incredible. It is currently the best Android based phone out right now and it's on Verizon. It also has very impressive hardware specs.

airblaster503

Reaction score
Drop Verizon, and get the HTC Evo 4g when it comes out with Sprint in early June(Most likely the 6th). That is what I plan on doing. They have the unlimited data plan with unlimited text and unlimited mobile to mobile(with any carrier) for $70. Probably have to pay an extra fee to use the wireless hotspot feature but it seems worth it.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by airblaster503
Drop Verizon, and get the HTC Evo 4g when it comes out with Sprint in early June(Most likely the 6th). That is what I plan on doing. They have the unlimited data plan with unlimited text and unlimited mobile to mobile(with any carrier) for $70. Probably have to pay an extra fee to use the wireless hotspot feature but it seems worth it.

Originally Posted by holymadness
The HTC Evo 4G is the best Android phone available.

See my post above.

You guys have convinced me ( you should be in sales
laugh.gif
).

The HTC EVO is for me.

Only question I have is do I buy it with the subsidized price and tie myself down to a 2 year Sprint contract?

Or do a buy it for full pop MSRP without a contract?

What are peoples opinion's of Sprint? Especially versus T-mobile.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads