• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Return of the Double Breasted Suit

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CutandSew
The DB suit never really went away.

DB suits will always be there ...They're sometimes outdated ,classic ,conservative or even trendy but they will never completely go away ...

It is not as versatile as the sb suits and a certain body shape is needed to look good wearing them ...

ruben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"Copyright The Financial Times Limited 2010. You may share using our article tools. Please don't cut articles from FT.com and redistribute by email or post to the web."

odd disclaimer isn't it?

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, I am not tall or super "thin," but I think I carry off a DB just fine. I love them.

Mike

OttoSkadelig

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CutandSew
The DB suit never really went away.
well, of course not. then again, what has? anything that looks inherently good but is just at the margins of the mainstream is periodically cycled in and out to keep things fresh -- it's the nature of things, right? without it the fashion industry would collapse and our savings accounts would be much better padded for it. perhaps i should have titled the post "The Return of the Double Breasted Suit -- per the Financial Times". anyway, the point was not to proclaim the second coming of the DB suit or to debate whether or not the DB went away, but to pass on a fun read. BTW, the article mentions that recent politician-wear has been boring. i have to agree -- the uniform (that i had previously thought was a US-only phenom) of dark floppy suit + solid tie seems to have taken root everywhere. watching the most recent posse of political penguins on stage (brown, cameron, clegg) was quite depressing -- clegg's yellow tie-on-white being especially unappealing. i thought even UK politicians had more evolved taste. has even a stripe here or there become too risky?

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Jude Law needs to learn to use a shirt, and perhaps even a tie. In regards to DB, I've always like the look, but my body fits into them perfectly.

From the article:
as classic pinstripe with a pocket handkerchief at Dries van Noten (£810)
WTF? Who pays $1,200 for a pocket square?

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
haven't you heard?, workwear is dead!

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by apropos
Sameo pay $700 for a pair of distressed jeans, or who pay $400 for 'authentic workwear' shirts.

Some people are crazy but who are we to criticize them anyway...

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The DB has always been a great cut, especially for those in the know.

elegantgentleman

Reaction score
Double breasted suits look amazing, but they have to fit well and are less forgiving in that regard compared to single-breasteds.

They definitely look better on taller and more athletic-built men (as with most clothes!).

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
Jude Law needs to learn to use a shirt, and perhaps even a tie. In regards to DB, I've always like the look, but my body fits into them perfectly. From the article: WTF? Who pays $1,200 for a pocket square?
It's saying that Dries van Noten sells a $1,200 suit that comes with a pocket handkerchief, not that the pocket handkerchief is $1,200. The article is a bit confusingly worded, but that's what it is intending to say. That said, suits with built-in pocket squares =
ffffuuuu.gif

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS

From the article: WTF? Who pays $1,200 for a pocket square?

Small-timer.
devil.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads