• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Howard Yount Pants - how are they?

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been browsing Howard Yount's website lately and say some beautiful looking pants. The website mentions that there is handwork that goes into these pants and that they are made in italy. Does anyone here have any experience with them? Can anyone comment on how they stack up against the competition like Panta, Borrelli, etc?

trailer36

Reaction score
Let me offer my experience. I had searched for a pair of well-fitting, quality trousers for around 6 months before seeing that Howard Yount was selling some that were made specifically for him and his product line. despite them costing more than I would usually like to spend on pants, I decided to try them anyway because the fit pics and description looked like exactly what I was looking for.

Let me tell you, I could not be happier with the pants. They have a nice, slim fit so that I dont have to have the legs slimmed down at the tailor. Also, the rise is about an inch shorter than my other wool trousers which is nice because it allows for a more fitted silhouette for those who wear their shirts and coats in a fitted manner. There is no "crotch hang" caused by extra material. The quality of the wool is also very high (according to my unprofessional opinion) and there is a huge difference between these and my other trousers from Paul Frederick and Baroni. The handwork on the pockets is a nice detail as well.

Overall, these are the best trousers I have ever worn, hands down. Well worth the price being charged. Are they on par with Panta and Borrelli? I am not sure but I think you definitely get a lot for your money with these. Please let me know if you would like me to take pictures of any certain detail and I can post them to give you and everyone else some more detailed info.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I haven't purchased pants, but for other items I've purchased, his service has been exceptional.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The thing that confuses me about the Howard Yount pants is that the size guide lists a size 28, yet none of the actual pants seem to list anything below size 30. Where the size 28s at?!
confused.gif

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by trailer36
Overall, these are the best trousers I have ever worn, hands down. Well worth the price being charged. Are they on par with Panta and Borrelli? I am not sure but I think you definitely get a lot for your money with these. Please let me know if you would like me to take pictures of any certain detail and I can post them to give you and everyone else some more detailed info.

I haven't held HY or Panta's in real life, but from the specs online plus looking at pictures, they have a lot of features in common, including curtained waistband, rear V-split, hand-stiching, etc... Perhaps someone who has bought both can enlighten us. Regardless of which brand you purchase, I think you will get a far better deal with either Panta or HY than you could ever find anywhere else.

hammer07

Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
I haven't held HY or Panta's in real life, but from the specs online plus looking at pictures, they have a lot of features in common, including curtained waistband, rear V-split, hand-stiching, etc... Perhaps someone who has bought both can enlighten us. Regardless of which brand you purchase, I think you will get a far better deal with either Panta or HY than you could ever find anywhere else.
I have two HY and two Panta. I think they compare favourably with Panta and offer similar value given their slight differences in pricepoints. Fit of HY is not as slim as Panta and the handwork is less obvious but the fabrics are first-rate and would definitely buy again. Plus the zip-fly makes it a bit easier to use urinals. My Pantas don't have the rear v-split though as there is a belt loop there.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I honestly cannot recommend HY Pants enough. I have not tried Panta yet, but plan to in the near future. They fit like a dream, and are very flattering. The fabric is lovely, and the pants have a ton of handwork. I would put them above my borrellis, but that may also be because of the fun colors and patterns that Jamison puts out.

Highly recommended. The only thing better than the pants is the customer service.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hammer07
Plus the zip-fly makes it a bit easier to use urinals.

This distinction is only an issue for those who must put both palms overhead against the tile while getting rid of the last few pints of beer.

What you really want to do is to throw your shoulders back a bit, so that you don't need to use your hands to stablize yourself. With both hands free, it then becomes simple matter to shake off and button one's fly.

There's a demonstration video on the Panta home page.

- B

Brandonp2002

Reaction score
I need to gripe a bit about Howard Yount, I thought the pants were nice, but the customer service is on the horrible side. I ordered on a Friday, hoping they would be sent out by Monday, received the confirmation email Wednesday, and received the pants by Friday, stated 3-6 days on the website but close enough. The size was slightly too small so I immediately sent them back and he had them by Monday, I didn't hear anything back from him till Thursday. So I placed another order on the same day, they went out Friday, I received the pants but I was mailed a black pair of regular cut pants when I ordered slim navy pants, and unfortunately he doesn't cover shipping costs. So if your looking for a company with decent customer service, you will be disappointed. .

Markboots

Reaction score
Hi,

I actually just placed my first order and am very pleased. The wool pants I originally ordered which appeared to be in stock on the website actually wasn't but Jamison quickly jumped in and provided another pair in it's place that retailed $10 more at no extra charge. He shipped the items out quickly (also got a pair of socks to try) and I got exactly what I asked for with fast USPS service.

Top quality products and awesome customer service. Would definitely buy from them again. Sorry it did not work out for you Brandonp2002.

Regards,
Mark

theh00d

Reaction score
Too bad they don't offer the old italian fit anymore.. Size up in the newer fit? And anyway to contact Jamison?

Markboots

Reaction score
Too bad they don't offer the old italian fit anymore.. Size up in the newer fit? And anyway to contact Jamison?

I think they have a few different fit types from what I saw but only one fit type per item. Probably too hard to maintain multiple fits for each model but that is just a guess.

I actually bought the classic slim fit USA made. There is a new skinny fit model made in USA that probably would meet your needs (Might be a new line but am no expert) or the very slim fit made in Italy pants. I do have a cotton pair I bought off a member here that was the Made in Italy very slim the next size up and they work for me but are a little loose in the waist but not enough I feel I want to take them in.

I just used the email address: [email protected]

theh00d

Reaction score
Thanks@Markboots

The classic usa fit is too big on me, had to get it tailored. The Italian fit is too slim in the same size, so yeah im thinking of sizing up.
Didnt know about the slimmer usa fit thanks for the info

Markboots

Reaction score
Thanks@Markboots

The classic usa fit is too big on me, had to get it tailored. The Italian fit is too slim in the same size, so yeah im thinking of sizing up.
Didnt know about the slimmer usa fit thanks for the info

No problem, glad I could help out another Bay area member. I definitely would rather take the waist in then tailor other aspects. Good luck in finding something that works.

Mark

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads