• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Rubinacci Thread.

pabloj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Still don't get why short people would wear a db suit ...

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pabloj
Still don't get why short people would wear a db suit ...

Nowhere near as bad as a short person having 2" cuffs on their trousers.

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
this comparison makes little sense to me-- clearly, the tailor constructed two very different sets of shoulders for these suits. Whnay's suit has almost a roped effect, while Matt's were done very soft (and likely had considerable break-in time, after repeated wearings). As far as a relationship of height to wearing a 6x2 double breasted suit, seems like bespoke means you are not really limited to a certain style for your shape/ proportion if it is made just for you! didn't many of the very short brazilian diplomats wear bespoke suits well?

I'd also disagree with your views of body types, but to each his own perspective.

Originally Posted by username79
This tailor does not appear to adjust his cut based on body type. Reminds me of Ambrosi, who appears to like big hips and tiny cuffs on anyone, be it midget or circus clown. Your suit looks great on you because you are tall, thin, fit, and have good posture. The suit of the original poster does not fit well because he is short, rotund, and has posture issues. Had the tailor adjusted his cut for the original's body type, his suit would look far better.

cimg1427ed4.jpg

A great example of how one style fits two people vastly differently, with a stark contrast in end result.

EnglishLapel

Reaction score
This tailor does not appear to adjust his cut based on body type. Reminds me of Ambrosi, who appears to like big hips and tiny cuffs on anyone, be it midget or circus clown. Your suit looks great on you because you are tall, thin, fit, and have good posture. The suit of the original poster does not fit well because he is short, rotund, and has posture issues. Had the tailor adjusted his cut for the original's body type, his suit would look far better.

cimg1427ed4.jpg

A great example of how one style fits two people vastly differently, with a stark contrast in end result.

This is such bullshit 79, Foxx is right shoulders look totally different and IMO both look great. What's your problem? It's called a HOUSE STYLE, however one can clearly see that the jackets look quite different. You love to criticise...

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EnglishLapel
This is such bullshit 79, Foxx is right shoulders look totally different and IMO both look great. What's your problem? It's called a HOUSE STYLE, however one can clearly see that the jackets look quite different. You love to criticise...
You guys blind? The shoulder detail is nearly identical. Change the contrast on your screens and you will see the detail in Iammatt's besides the choice in roping. Besides slight differences in shoulder the jackets are identical. And wouldn't a "HOUSE STYLE" that is not complementary to the wearer be a bad thing? Do you honestly think the above wearer has a suit that works for him? You love to fellate.

EnglishLapel

Reaction score
You guys blind? The shoulder detail is nearly identical. Change the contrast on your screens and you will see the detail in Iammatt's besides the choice in roping. Besides slight differences in shoulder the jackets are identical. And wouldn't a "HOUSE STYLE" that is not complementary to the wearer be a bad thing? Do you honestly think the above wearer has a suit that works for him? You love to fellate.

Yeah I do think it works for him and im not praising for the sake of praise either. Outline why you think it doesn't work for him.

EnglishLapel

Reaction score
Oh just saw that you did say why you didn't think it worked for him. However I wouldnt say that whnay. is "rotund". Secondly I don't see how this cut doesn't work for the shorter man.

Master Shake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have to say that I prefer Bill's DB suit. It just looks more elegant to me. Also, I never understood why people are convinced that short people cannot wear DB suits.

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow. Every shoulder detail 'nearly identical' except... for the presence of roping?

I guess the RLBL shoulder is identical to the A&S shoulder... except for roping of course!

Anyway, you're kinda wrong (blind?).

For starters, iammatt's shoulder appears to be more extended than whnay's. Look at the angle formed between the shoulder and the outside of the sleeve. Even taking into account the different slope of their shoulders, compare whnay's R shoulder (L on your screen) with iammatt's R shoulder (L on your screen). Big difference, despite the relative closeness in shoulder angle.

And TBH, that doesn't even look like roping - i.e. there doesn't appear to be any wadding in it - just a bit of con rollino. Does Rubinacci even do roped shoulders in the first place?
confused.gif

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by apropos
Wow. Every shoulder detail 'nearly identical' except... for the presence of roping? I guess the RLBL shoulder is identical to the A&S shoulder... except for roping of course! Anyway, you're kinda wrong (blind?). For starters, iammatt's shoulder appears to be more extended than whnay's. Look at the angle formed between the shoulder and the outside of the sleeve. Even taking into account, so in that the different slope of their shoulders, compare whnay's R shoulder (L on your screen) with iammatt's R shoulder (L on your screen). Big difference, despite the relative closeness in shoulder angle. And TBH, that doesn't even look like roping - i.e. there doesn't appear to be any wadding in it - just a bit of con rollino. Does Rubinacci even do roped shoulders in the first place?
confused.gif

The shoulders on both Iammatt's and WHnay look to be both unpadded so in that sense I think they are the same shoulder treatment. Con Rollino is roped.

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by George
Con Rollino is roped.
'Roping' implies the deliberate insertion of wadding into the sleevehead to raise a 'rim' around the sleevehead. Con rollino is just the a closed seam + allowance inside sitting in a way that resembles roping, but isn't. It is also usually a little more subtle than deliberately roped shoulders.

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
'Roping' implies the deliberate insertion of wadding into the sleevehead to raise a 'rim' around the sleevehead. Con rollino is just the a closed seam + allowance inside sitting in a way that resembles roping, but isn't. It is also usually a little more subtle than deliberately roped shoulders.
My understanding of roping is that it's a term to describe that rolled effect that you see at the sleeve head which is independent of the way it is constructed. The French have another term for it, derived from the word cigarette IIRC. Not that any of this matters by the way.

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fair enough, I guess my understanding leans a little towards the technical side.
smile.gif
Re: the cigarette thing, I think the oft-repeated saying is that the height of the roping should not exceed the thickness of a cigarette. Or something along those lines. Either way, it's a concept that Sartoria Sciamat appear to have taken and run away with.
valericci2.jpg

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fair enough, I guess my understanding leans a little towards the technical side.
smile.gif
Re: the cigarette thing, I think the oft-repeated saying is that the height of the roping should not exceed the thickness of a cigarette. Or something along those lines. Either way, it's a concept that Sartoria Sciamat appear to have taken and run away with.
valericci2.jpg

That's fine. I only have a lay knowledge of tailoring, so I'm aware that my terminology may not be strictly correct from a tailoring perspective. I think that Sciamat shoulder treatment has another name which you find referred to in women's tailoring. Jefferyd will know.

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For starters, iammatt's shoulder appears to be more extended than whnay's. Look at the angle formed between the shoulder and the outside of the sleeve. Even taking into account the different slope of their shoulders, compare whnay's R shoulder (L on your screen) with iammatt's R shoulder (L on your screen). Big difference, despite the relative closeness in shoulder angle.
Thank you for confirming that only minuscule technical details exist between the two despite significant differences in body type and posture.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads