• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crossfit fans?

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lowndes
Well, maybe that is true there are aholes in every line of fitness (and every line of about anything in life). Maybe that is why I follow my philosophy and don't work out with anybody. I run alone and lift weights alone. One of the reasons why I find exercise relaxing. It allows me to get away from people for a few minutes and just relax, relieve some stress, and stay healthy. However, from my experience Crossfit seems to have a fairly high concentration of aholes.

Maybe I find Crossfit annoying because the friends (and people I don't consider friends) I know who do it are extremely vocal about it. They seem to think that it is the only way to get fit and if you are doing anything else you are wasting your time. I've never been to a Crossfit forum and don't plan to visit. Again, my sample size is fairly small. I have 5 friends I know do it. Out of those 5, 4 have become quite narcissistic since they started doing Crossfit. Not a scientific study by any means but that is my experience with Crossfit.

A key point though is that exercise works. Whether you want to do Crossfit, yoga, run, lift weights, etc. the key is to do something.

I do too. Even when I do Crossfit, I'm doing it alone. No CF association at all (hell, I'd never pay $150 a month for a gym!). I agree though; there are plenty of people giving it a bad name.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Grayland
I do too. Even when I do Crossfit, I'm doing it alone. No CF association at all (hell, I'd never pay $150 a month for a gym!). I agree though; there are plenty of people giving it a bad name.

Grayland you seem like a stand-up guy. It sucks that you have to deal with the back lash caused by all the lamo xfitters. I feel better knowing you do it on your own.

shiftless_bum

Reaction score
Every "new" technique out there has its vocal adherents, particularly when it's heavily marketed and seen as "alternative". Yoga, spinning etc, has its share of jack-asses. On the other hand if it gets more people off their duffs and on the road to getting fit, a big thumbs up. I just put the ear plugs in, crank some Napalm Death and zone out
biggrin.gif
I'm not an adherent by any means, but its nice to throw in a cross fit session to mix things up once in a while or if I'm strapped for time. A few circuits of man-makers, body weight squats and pull-ups and I'm out the door.

Mr Herbert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
there is no such thing as using 'crossfit' techniques. even stupid stuff like kipping pull ups have their basis in gymnastics. people have been doing GPP training using weights and body weight excersizes for years. crossfit didnt invent it. they just created names for the workouts and charged people $1000 to get certified in it.

paraiso

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gumercindo
Have started a workout regimen that takes a LOT from crossfit training. I have discovered the magic of kettlebells - outstanding stuff.

Anyone have any favorite exercises?

I've got a one pood and one and a half pood kettlebell. The best exrecise equipment I've ever purchased.

paraiso

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ronmill
Love Crossfit, in a few short weeks, I got into the best shape of my life. I find those who knock it fall into one category: cowardice.

I found out about crossfit through Pavel Tsatsouline. By the time I had attended the crossfit gym close to my house I'd been working out with my kettle bells and doing some DL's, weighted dips and weighted chin ups, apart from my usual twice weekly soccer games. I ran rings around the crossfitters to the point where I found it boring and overpriced to attend anymore. I consistently posted the best times for the girls.

bawlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a Crossfitter but I couldn't be bothered to discuss why it's awesome or defend it. It works for me and that's all that matters.

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The broader high-intensity functional training movement spawned by Crossfit's popularity need some kind of re-branding, away from the shadier aspects of CF (the Zone, questionable certifications, overpriced gyms, etc.) and the mistaken belief that Glassman (douchebag) invented that kind of training.

There's a lot of good info at cathletics.com, from Robb Wolf, Whole9, CF Football, etc. that don't gain anything from Crossfit affiliation except for an easily found word to unite under/search for (and three of those have already disassociated from CF).

Polonius

Reaction score
Been doing CF for 3 months now. It's been great for me so far. But I'm only too aware how cult-like it is, and that's cause for some concern. I'd like to hear some persuasive arguments about about what is wrong with it. I've heard none on this forum.

underwearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
crossfit looks like it works the problem I have is that they seem to think they invented all the **** they do. I mean really I was doing burpees in bootcamp 15 years ago-sorry thats nothing new.

and they are all about 'functional strength' which is a bullshit term for not working the vanity muscles. I dont need functional strength, I want vanity muscles thats what turns my girlfriend on.

LucasCLarson

Reaction score
The whole functional strength argument is a bit
laugh.gif
, IMO.

The bottom line:
'crossfit results' can be attained in a ton of other more efficient ways.

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LucasCLarson
The whole functional strength argument is a bit
laugh.gif
, IMO.

The bottom line:
'crossfit results' can be attained in a ton of other more efficient ways.

Such as?

LucasCLarson

Reaction score
Just opened up a can of worms.

I've seen MUCH better results Oly lifting with HIIT. MUCH better. In all aspects of "fitness". Size and strength gains with a drop in body bodyfat (from 10% to around 8%).

Of course, everyone responds to different plans in different ways.

However, I'm still an advocate for diet over exercise. AND I really just said that because i don't like crossfit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads