• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Movie Cliches - Which Ones Do You Really Dislike?

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
The most marsupialed one is the "falling onto pillows laughing and gasping after 'sex'" and then saying something like "that was amazing!" Try that with your girlfriend, it's some hilarious ****.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Chiaroscuro
villians explaining their diabolical scheme while the hero/heroine is immobilized. i would love for the antaganist to kill the protaganist outright and be done with it. that would be a plot twist.

Do you expect me to talk?
NO Mr. Bond, I expect you to die!

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
When a white man goes to a culture, which is being attacked in some way by the white man, and ends up being the savior of that culture - implying that a person from the culture itself is incapable of rising up and defeating the white man himself.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Black people saying "Damn"
Car chases in general...yawn
Bad guy talking too long before shooting the protagonist
Full houses and royal flushes in tense poker scenes
Having boring missionary sex slowly before *******

coldarchon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
people being short of oxygen in a submarine or spaceship. you never ever ever ever die because there is not enough oxygen left, you die 10 times earlier because carbon dioxide level has risen ..

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
this thread can become endless because Hollywood is so goddam horribly formulaic...

hero fighting, running, jumping after getting shot repeatedly. rifle bullets cause so much damage that if you take one in the torso/leg you're immediately out for weeks even if it doesn't kill you

the villain isn't dead, you motherfuckers. he's just waiting until you let your guard down or turn your backs

the stupid inspirational speech before the climactic scene. last seen in 2012 where it was so infuriating it ruined the whole movie for me

if there is a dog in the movie, it ALWAYS survives. even during the end of the world

someone in the party always needs to nobly give his life to save the world/the mission. it's usually the character who's the most annoying or the one who keeps questioning authority

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason
The most marsupialed one is the "falling onto pillows laughing and gasping after 'sex'" and then saying something like "that was amazing!" Try that with your girlfriend, it's some hilarious ****.

+1. As soon as she hops off dis dick, I'm all like "hey bish go make me a sandwich"

Dr Huh?

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I remember reading a bunch of ones a long while back. Here's some I remember (and some of my own).

- Having a job of any kind will make a father forget his 5 year old son's birthday

- Cops are usually paired up with people of the opposite temperament

- Most cops will be gun down tragically when they only have 2 days left for retirement

- All bombs have red electronic displays so you know exactly when they will go off

- A hero can be shot at, stabbed, fall from a building and survive a fire with out so much as breaking a sweat, but will wince when a woman applies disinfectant to his wounds

- Door locks can easily be opened with the help of a credit card. Unless someone is trapped behind them. At which point you better try kicking the door down

- Television characters who work in an office will be set up with their boss's daughter on a date. Character will spend rest of the episode trying to get out of it. By the end of the episode character finds out boss's daughter is super hot. And was set up with one of the guys in the mail room instead

- Fire extinguishers rarely work

- In high school, the athletes always wear their team jackets. No matter what the situation. They're also usually total jerks

-High school loners are usually really pretty. They're just wearing glasses. Their best friends are guys who are secretly in love with them

- Weddings often have about a hundred guests in attendance. In reality, it's usually about 20 or 30.

Nil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
How about how computers in the movie/tv universe always have some incredibly pointless and needlessly complicated user interface.

Esp. if they are supposedly a "hacker".

Added to this is when someone hacks/enters a system and equations and random nonsensical images fly towards the individual like they just went into nerd hyperspace.

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
+1. As soon as she hops off dis dick, I'm all like "hey bish go make me a sandwich"

unless shes mexican. then she better make him a tortada.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
i remember roger ebert's site has a full-on database of these types of cliches.

the one i dont really get is when the main character cop gets pulled off the assignment , placing him on a leave of absence fully paid, but he gets all angry about it.

i would be like , "**** ya! pay me bitches!" and then leave.
the movie would end right there though.

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dr Huh?
-High school loners are usually really pretty. They're just wearing glasses. Their best friends are guys who are secretly in love with them

Heh. Similarly, disguises can be as simple as a pair of glasses or dressing as the opposite sex - effectively fooling everyone.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by willpower
Heh. Similarly, disguises can be as simple as a pair of glasses or dressing as the opposite sex - effectively fooling everyone.

Reminds me of Much Ado About Nothing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads