• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Appropriate Dark Brown Shoes

Reaction score
Do you folks think these shoes are appropriate for a dark brown suit? Some say the shoes must be equal or darker than the pant/suit color. Any shoe suggestions?

121xsas.jpg

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Slapped-by-Glenn-Ford-640.jpg

Reaction score
In the picture..........

The lady feels faint..... the gentlemen is reaching for the phone with his right hand to dial 911? ..lol....

Originally Posted by Man Of Lint
Slapped-by-Glenn-Ford-640.jpg

StopPolloition

Reaction score
I would actually wear lighter shade of brown with a dark brown suit. British tan or chestnut or something.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrChubbyMcLard
Do you folks think these shoes are appropriate for a dark brown suit?

That shade of brown would probably be fine. Those particular shoes on the other hand are awful.

nmprisons

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
That shade of brown would probably be fine. Those particular shoes on the other hand are awful.

+1

cmacey

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum

As a pair of casual shoes, fair enough; but, I wouldn't wear them with a suit. IMHO, go for a more traditional pair of shoes for the suit. The color is fine. Lighter shades of brown will work too.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by StopPolloition
I would actually wear lighter shade of brown with a dark brown suit. British tan or chestnut or something.

Originally Posted by cmacey
As a pair of casual shoes, fair enough; but, I wouldn't wear them with a suit. IMHO, go for a more traditional pair of shoes for the suit. The color is fine. Lighter shades of brown will work too.

I actually visit a few stores yesterday. I know the folks at Saks Fifth were adamant about wearing any shoe lighter than the suit.

Here's my quandary. I always allow these fine folks to arrange my outfits (e.g. suit, shirt, tie, shoes). However, I'm tired of the "cap-toe" style....which they suggested.

I'm just confused betwixt the two. Some say dark while others say light.......alas.......what to do.

IMHO.....I think a lighter shade shoe would look odd with a dark suit. This comment also comes from someone that allows others to arrange his outfits. So what do I know!
musicboohoo[1].gif

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrChubbyMcLard
I'm just confused betwixt the two. Some say dark while others say light.......alas.......what to do.:

I probably wouldn't wear light brown shoes with a dark brown suit, but the shoes above are dark enough that it probably wouldn't matter if they were just a shade or two lighter than the suit.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Those shoes are simply hideous. If you do not like captoes, maybe try a pair of wingtips. Depending on your budget, we could suggest a beaucoup. The whole bicycle toe just screams KC to me, and you will not get any love for this style on these forums.

Matt S

Reaction score
Those are casual shoes that aren't appropriate for a suit. If you don't want cap-toes, you can get wing-tip or plain-toe shoes. And you'd look much more elegant without something so square.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Newcomer
Those shoes are simply hideous. If you do not like captoes, maybe try a pair of wingtips. Depending on your budget, we could suggest a beaucoup. The whole bicycle toe just screams KC to me, and you will not get any love for this style on these forums.

Be it known............

I appreciate all the input.........

Today I purchased a beautiful pair of Bruno Magli dark brown cap-toe (sigh) shoes......

I must admit they're beautiful.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Congratulations, it's a marked improvement over that pair that started the thread!
Can we see photos?

vincerich

Reaction score
Buy black shoes and a black belt. You'll look like a huge turd standing there in an all brown suit and brown shoes.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Man Of Lint
Congratulations, it's a marked improvement over that pair that started the thread!
Can we see photos?

I also purchased a beautiful orange pinstripe shirt with a killer tie.........The set-up looks spectacular with the dark brown suit.

9gizhy.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads