• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoes/socks with a gray suit?

bsinge50

Reaction score
Hello Styleforum!

Sorry if this comes up a lot, but I wanted to make sure I don't screw this up.

Could anyone tell me if AE walnut color oxfords (Fifth Avenue, probably, if it matters) go with a medium gray suit?

I am getting married next month, and I need a pair of shoes for a suit I bought for the occasion, as up until now, I've only worn dark charcoal suits and black shoes I think.

So, this is pretty much the exact color of the suit, I think:

http://www.indochino.com/product/Ult...Gray_Suit.html

And these were the shoes I was going to buy:

http://www.zappos.com/allen-edmonds-...ue-walnut-calf

Does this work?

Also, the suit is a three piece, but I don't know if I can pull that look off, or if it is even appropriate. I was planning on forgetting the waistcoat, but fiancee is pushing for it. What do you think? I am in my 20s.

Thank you for any help !

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The color of the shoes works well with the suit, IMO. OTH, I'd wear black shoes for my wedding, but that's just my own personal taste.

Rosencrantz1

Reaction score
I like the shoes with that color suit. I gather it is a less-formal wedding? Given that, I would go with as colorful a sock as you (or your fiance) feel comfortable with.

Congrats on your marriage.

southbound35

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
The color of the shoes works well with the suit, IMO. OTH, I'd wear black shoes for my wedding, but that's just my own personal taste.

+1. And I rarely wear black shoes.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll echo the sentiment that those shoes will look great with a grey suit.

As for socks, grey to match the trousers would be the safest option. You can obviously go colourful if you want but that could be risky territory
smile.gif

bsinge50

Reaction score
Thanks for the help, everyone. I will buy those shoes and see how they look. Either way, I could use a pair of brown oxfords.

Brogued

Reaction score
Wear the waistcoat only if you're comfortable doing so. I hope the jacket on your suit isn't as short as the one in the photo.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Walnut shoes will go excellent with mid-grey. One of my favorite combinations to be honest.

nehpets99

Reaction score
FWIW, you might want to check this place out: http://www.benniesshoes.com/fifth-avenue-368.html

250.75 shipped, assuming your size is in stock.

Good choice on the shoe for a mid-grey suit. Wouldn't be my choice of shoe if I was getting married, but to each their own.

bsinge50

Reaction score
Thanks again, everyone.

No, my jacket is a normal length, and I will probably just go with gray socks then.

And thanks for that website nehpets, I ordered them, good price. Now I just need to find a belt and I'm good to go.

Matt S

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay

I agree. For your own wedding, dress the part and wear black shoes. I you are wearing a three-piece suit (which is great) definitely wear black oxfords.

coltboy75

Reaction score
+100 I have an Astor & Black suit that color and I wear the walnut AE Park Avenue with them all the time.

vincerich

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bsinge50
Hello Styleforum!

Sorry if this comes up a lot, but I wanted to make sure I don't screw this up.

Could anyone tell me if AE walnut color oxfords (Fifth Avenue, probably, if it matters) go with a medium gray suit?

I am getting married next month, and I need a pair of shoes for a suit I bought for the occasion, as up until now, I've only worn dark charcoal suits and black shoes I think.

So, this is pretty much the exact color of the suit, I think:

http://www.indochino.com/product/Ult...Gray_Suit.html

And these were the shoes I was going to buy:

http://www.zappos.com/allen-edmonds-...ue-walnut-calf

Does this work?

Also, the suit is a three piece, but I don't know if I can pull that look off, or if it is even appropriate. I was planning on forgetting the waistcoat, but fiancee is pushing for it. What do you think? I am in my 20s.

Thank you for any help !

Firstly, you should wear the vest. I like 3-piece suits and I think that it will be very nice for a wedding.

Secondly, buy the shoes in black. If you ask me, brown shoes don't go well with black or gray suits, period. If you want to wear dark burgundy shoes with a gray suit, that could be sharp, but I would just go with a black leather model. Save the brown shoes for casual wear or sport coat + trouser combinations. Of course, it's your wedding, so if you really like them, go for it.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by southbound35
+1. And I rarely wear black shoes.

Yes black shoes for a wedding unless you want to be hypnotically drawn to looking at your shoes in wedding photos in the future (although not patent leather with that suit IMHO).

To wear as a (non-wedding) summer suit, I'd go for an even lighter brown/honey coloured since it is a very light grey.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by vincerich
If you ask me, brown shoes don't go well with black or gray suits, period.

Although black shoes may be better for a wedding, to say that brown shows don't go well with grey suits at all is just plain crazy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads