• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
i don't like the fact that your sig isn't a link and makes me copy paste. this is a modern go-go society and i can't waste my time with such petty efforts. also, i have read it on occasion and i think i liked it though at times didn't know what you were talking about and was too lazy to read closer. kelvin mostly has pretty pictures
biggrin.gif

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
i don't like the fact that your sig isn't a link and makes me copy paste. this is a modern go-go society and i can't waste my time with such petty efforts.

also, i have read it on occasion and i think i liked it though at times didn't know what you were talking about and was too lazy to read closer. kelvin mostly has pretty pictures
biggrin.gif

<3 you. Yeah I read the **** out of Kelvin's.

I'm switching the format to be less pretentious/more blog-ish and direct. Keeping the imagist poetry in the back of google docs where it belongs.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoreman1782
Well you've got me pinned on at least a couple of those generalizations and believe me I feel adequately lame as a result, but I don't mean to bring up the marketing of Monocle specifically as much as the reaction against the PUT EVERYTHING ONLINE thing print went through a couple of years ago. It seems one solution to the problem of how to market your print content as "special" is not to put it online at all. Obv this doesn't work for breaking news but it certainly does for cultural coverage.

I only read fashion mags sporadically and mostly in boutique stands where they have a wide selection (think Colette or whatever). My plane recipee is Diplomatic world + another int. affairs or art mag (so let's say diplomatie, jeune afrique, the economist, art news, art review). I don't mind paying for print but I usually give/discard most mags. Online is nice because of the lack of clutter but long articles can give me headaches.

BB1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by APK
I've interned at a newspaper a couple times, and kept a watch over print journalism for years, so I've noticed this, too. Once the outlets realized they were sort of cutting off their nose to spite their face by giving everything away for free, they retreated and tried to slowly install a means to limit free content. The average person has been conditioned to expect content at no expense, so it's been a difficult push in the other direction. As someone who wants to end up working in print/online journalism, I hope the majority of publications are able to find a sustainable model that utilizes the online component, but in a way that isn't slowly bleeding the industry dry.
The baby boomers are the last generation that relies on traditional print media to any significant extent. As they age and die, print media will die with them. The avalanche of decline for traditional print media is only beginning. Try this simple test: Place an ad in both your local paper's classifies section and on craig's list. I've done this and have usually received ZERO responses to a week long newspaper ad, but craig's list will generate many responses in only an hour. I don't think traditional media can charge for on-line access except in very special circumstances.. Do you know which print publication runs the most successful pay-for-access on-line site? Consumer Reports magazine. I believe the on-line model works for them for two keys reasons.... 1. A near monopoly CR has a near monopoly in the US on comprehensive ratings of products. If you refuse to pay for CR's on-line service, there is not really a comparable one you can find on-line for free. 2. A trigger event that forces people to start their on-line subscription Nearly everyone eventually decides to buy a new car, appliance, etc. This immediate need compels them to sign up for an annual subscription to CR. The monopoly alone is likely not enough. Most print publications are unable to provide both of the above simultaneously.

driveslowk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
I only read fashion mags sporadically and mostly in boutique stands where they have a wide selection (think Colette or whatever). My plane recipee is Diplomatic world + another int. affairs or art mag (so let's say diplomatie, jeune afrique, the economist, art news, art review). I don't mind paying for print but I usually give/discard most mags. Online is nice because of the lack of clutter but long articles can give me headaches.
As I said, I mainly read monocle for the international affairs and have read a couple of really interesting articles and learned stuff I wouldn't have otherwise, something I haven't gotten out of a magazine in a while. (The fluff is pretty obvious so it didn't put me off so much). I'll check some of these mags out if they're better, are they easily available in a bigger book store?

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kelvinsense
As I said, I mainly read monocle for the international affairs and have read a couple of really interesting articles and learned stuff I wouldn't have otherwise, something I haven't gotten out of a magazine in a while. (The fluff is pretty obvious so it didn't put me off so much). I'll check some of these mags out if they're better, are they easily available in a bigger book store?

Hmm, well they're actual int. affairs mags, Monocle is a lifestyle/consumption mag. Diplomatic world is available in english and should be easy to find. Go on their website and read articles to see if you like their angle. The economist is super easy to find and if you only read one should be perfect for you.

nicelynice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kelvinsense
I'm not familiar with the French-language ones, but some of the ones mentioned like Diplomatic World will be closer to Monocle in "fluff" content, more of a "magazine" than an academic journal. If I recall correctly, a good portion of it is dedicated consumerist/consumptive content. Check out Foreign Affairs and the more downmarket Foreign Policy, they're the most influential international policy and geopolitical magazines with articles by key people in the field. I still like the Economist, though.

driveslowk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks Fuuma. What are some of your most-read websites?

I've been an economics nerd for years and that's my major in school so I do try and grab the economist whenever I can.

BB1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmm, well they're actual int. affairs mags, Monocle is a lifestyle/consumption mag. Diplomatic world is available in english and should be easy to find. Go on their website and read articles to see if you like their angle. The economist is super easy to find and if you only read one should be perfect for you.

I like the Economist from reading their articles on-line (I've never subscribed), but frequently their articles don't seem overly in depth and an annoying tendency towards presenting only a single point of view. But it is probably the perfect reading material when stuck on a plane with no Internet.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nicelynice
I'm not familiar with the French-language ones, but some of the ones mentioned like Diplomatic World will be closer to Monocle in "fluff" content, more of a "magazine" than an academic journal. If I recall correctly, a good portion of it is dedicated consumerist/consumptive content. Check out Foreign Affairs and the more downmarket Foreign Policy, they're the most influential international policy and geopolitical magazines with articles by key people in the field. I still like the Economist, though.

errr. no. Le monde diplomatic/diplomatic world is a serious int. affairs mag (with a leftist slant), you've got it mixed up with something else. Foreign affairs has like 1-2 good articles per issue but yeah, it's a worthy read if you're interested.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BB1
I like the Economist from reading their articles on-line (I've never subscribed), but frequently their articles don't seem overly in depth and an annoying tendency towards presenting only a single point of view. But it is probably the perfect reading material when stuck on a plane with no Internet.

The economist is an accessible read but its not full-fluff like Monocle. It is IMHO calibrated for the plane, dunno if its intentional...

Jeune Afrique/Young Africa is the mag to read if you wanna know what is happening there.

BB1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The economist is an accessible read but its not full-fluff like Monocle. It is IMHO calibrated for the plane, dunno if its intentional...
Lol. One of my co-workers whom travels an excessive amount on long international flights subscribes to the Economist, yet he ONLY reads it while on planes. He has even said he only enjoys reading it while on the plane?! If he doesn't travel for a while, his issues sit unread until his next flight!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics