• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Spanking

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I think the concept of "time outs" almost deserves its own poll. Purely anecdotal, but to a child, the ones I see where "time out" is the preferred discipline of choice, you get bratty, misbehaved, spoiled little monsters that have no respect for adults, particularly their parents.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HgaleK
I'd just like to take a moment to call shenanigans. When they learn that there's no bite behind your bark, then they'll tell you to **** off and take the dessert, or steal your money and get their own dessert later that night. Grounding and other similar punishments take consent, which a pissed off kid isn't going to give.

+1

I can have my son go to his room, get me his favorite toy, and I can break it in front of him. why? because he knows that I will punish him worse if he doesn't comply with that punishment. a very very small amount of corporal punishment 5 years ago serves the purpose of showing that I will back up threats.

again, I hardly have to punish my son at all any more, but when I do, he understands that there is a threat behind it.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
I think the concept of "time outs" almost deserves its own poll. Purely anecdotal, but to a child, the ones I see where "time out" is the preferred discipline of choice, you get bratty, misbehaved, spoiled little monsters that have no respect for adults, particularly their parents.
the only place timeouts work is here
smile.gif

cross22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HgaleK
I'd just like to take a moment to call shenanigans. When they learn that there's no bite behind your bark, then they'll tell you to **** off and take the dessert, or steal your money and get their own dessert later that night. Grounding and other similar punishments take consent, which a pissed off kid isn't going to give.

Most responses to my comment are similar to this. I am not saying if your 16 year old comes home high you should take his desert away. I am saying from the beginning one could have used the above methods instead of spanking to discipline kids and teach them their bad behavior will have negative consequences.

If your 16 year old is going to tell you to **** off and steal your money, he will. And if you try to spank him, he will hit you back. The only choice left for you will be to really get into a brawl with him and physically dominate him. Good luck with that and make sure you stay in good shape.

cross22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Timeouts work great especially for boys < 4 years old who have a lot of energy and want to move around. There is nothing they hate more than sitting quietly and doing nothing for 10 minutes.

Dedalus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
+1

I can have my son go to his room, get me his favorite toy, and I can break it in front of him. why? because he knows that I will punish him worse if he doesn't comply with that punishment. a very very small amount of corporal punishment 5 years ago serves the purpose of showing that I will back up threats.

again, I hardly have to punish my son at all any more, but when I do, he understands that there is a threat behind it.

What is the difference between telling your kid to fetch his favorite toy and giving it to you to break or else you will spank him vs. telling your kid you will break his favorite toy in front of him if he doesn't stop acting like a jackass? The threat is just as real, no?

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

The issue is that timeouts have to be strictly enforced and make the kid miserable to be effective. Most parents just aren't willing to follow through and that's why it doesn't really work. There are times however, when the kids are REALLY young (say under 7) when timeouts are about the only thing that will work.

Disciplining properly without spanking is REALLY difficult and most parents who reject spanking do a damned poor job of it. It requires (for most people) extensive professional training and committment over a period of years to make it work. Many parents are unwilling to do that so they wind up with bratty kids.

The basic brain functions of pleasure seeking and pain avoidance really are the primary motivators, despite how "developed" we think we've become. Children are master manipulators and if they aren't controlled early, often and consistently will become little monsters.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cross22
Most responses to my comment are similar to this. I am not saying if your 16 year old comes home high you should take his desert away. I am saying from the beginning one could have used the above methods instead of spanking to discipline kids and teach them their bad behavior will have negative consequences.

If your 16 year old is going to tell you to **** off and steal your money, he will. And if you try to spank him, he will hit you back. The only choice left for you will be to really get into a brawl with him and physically dominate him. Good luck with that and make sure you stay in good shape.

I find this post a little funny, given that you have already shown you a) believe in and b) are a proponent of Pavlov. It also shows you have probably never trained an animal.

If you encode your physical dominance in someone from a young age (or any mammal, like a dog or horse), any normal 16 year old will have huge built in inhibitions from physically challenging you. It will not last forever but hopefully by the time the conditioning effectively wears off, they are a mature adult and physical challenges are not needed.

Prada_Ferragamo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cross22

That's why you have to hit the gym everyday.
teacha.gif

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
+1

We had something like this early on, except it was a charity box. The favorite toy wasn't broken it was given to charity. We'd drop the box off at the donation center on Saturdays.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
The issue is that timeouts have to be strictly enforced and make the kid miserable to be effective. Most parents just aren't willing to follow through and that's why it doesn't really work. There are times however, when the kids are REALLY young (say under 7) when timeouts are about the only thing that will work.

Disciplining properly without spanking is REALLY difficult and most parents who reject spanking do a damned poor job of it. It requires (for most people) extensive professional training and committment over a period of years to make it work. Many parents are unwilling to do that so they wind up with bratty kids.

The basic brain functions of pleasure seeking and pain avoidance really are the primary motivators, despite how "developed" we think we've become. Children are master manipulators and if they aren't controlled early, often and consistently will become little monsters.

Mark, I would agree that in theory "time out" should work. However, sort of like communism, I have yet to see a parental unit that uses it as an effective tool of discipline.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
+1

This is important, and why I make it a point to never bluff with ours. If I lay out consequences, then I follow them to the letter, or invite disrespect. I have to pick out the consequences carefully, though.

brlfvr

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DBoon
I can't stand precocious children, but the adults who enable them are the worst
ffffuuuu.gif

+10. I was in a store recently where a kid was being really loud and rude right next to me. I asked the kid to calm down and the father told me "obviously you don't have kids". It's the idea that it's acceptable to have your kid lose his **** and cause a scene and act as if though that's just what kids do that makes me want to beat the parent not the kid.

Prada_Ferragamo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mark, I would agree that in theory "time out" should work. However, sort of like communism, I have yet to see a parental unit that uses it as an effective tool of discipline.
I remember in child psych class that I took as an undergrad, we spent 2 weeks discussing physical punishment vs. timeouts and their impact on the child's well being. The conclusion was that if time out is used, it has to be used consistently and immediately to be effective, no maybes and buts. However most parents tend to cave in after a short while and the kids tend to resort back into their bad behaviors later. But if spanking was used, kids will associate physical pain with bad behavior, and think twice before they will behave badly again.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads