• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

origenesprit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LucasCLarson
Caught me..

Well obviously I'm the same, as I recognized it. He's a killer guitarist with tone for days. I'm thinking of picking up a Keeley BD2 next time I'm in the states, tho I just bought a Marshall Bluesbreaker mk1 pedal, and I'm not sure if I need another overdrive pedal with "blues" in the name.

guitarpkr76

Reaction score
Hey guys. I just picked up a new Japanese Jazzmaster. Should be in next week some time. Can't wait.

jazzmaster1.jpg

jazzmaster2.jpg

jazzmaster3.jpg

jazzmaster4.jpg

Sherlockian

Reaction score
^ That JM looks the same as my '02 CIJ, posted in a pic a few pages back. Looks like you've got the buzz-stop tailpiece, er, thingy, that helps prevent the notorious Jazzmaster / Jaguar issue of the strings coming off the bridge saddles when picked hard.

Apparently the pickups on the Japanese versions are actually closer to the Strat design than proper American JM units, with a narrower and taller coil. Other than that, I can't fault mine at all, and it sounds fine to me, especially as my Strat has been bastardised with humbuckers.

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice Jazzmaster! What are those roller thingees above the pickups?

guitarpkr76

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sherlockian
^ That JM looks the same as my '02 CIJ, posted in a pic a few pages back. Looks like you've got the buzz-stop tailpiece, er, thingy, that helps prevent the notorious Jazzmaster / Jaguar issue of the strings coming off the bridge saddles when picked hard.

Apparently the pickups on the Japanese versions are actually closer to the Strat design than proper American JM units, with a narrower and taller coil. Other than that, I can't fault mine at all, and it sounds fine to me, especially as my Strat has been bastardised with humbuckers.

I saw yours. It probably subconsciously inspired me to get this one. It has upgraded pickups in it. Seymour Duncan Vintage or something like that. Can't wait for it to come in. Should compliment my SG nicely.

TylerDurden

Reaction score
I'd like to own a new Rickenbacker.... I guess next time I stumble upon a grand that I can burn.... Love the way they look, an 360-6 would be fun.
Rickenbacker-360-12.jpg

origenesprit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kgmessier
There are two pickup height adjustment screws located on each side of both pickups. Is that what you mean?

I think he means the black circular things near the neck pickup.

kgmessier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by origenesprit
I think he means the black circular things near the neck pickup.
Ah. Those are the neck pickup volume and tone controls. All part of the space-age wackiness that is the Fender Jazzmaster.

kgmessier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TylerDurden
I'd like to own a new Rickenbacker.... I guess next time I stumble upon a grand that I can burn.... Love the way they look, an 360-6 would be fun.
Rickenbacker-360-12.jpg

Every actually pick one up and play one? Rics are gorgeous to behold and hear, but their playability is very, shall we say, discriminating. Myself, I'm pining away for a 4001 bass in Azureglo.

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are two pickup height adjustment screws located on each side of both pickups. Is that what you mean?

TylerDurden

Reaction score
Every actually pick one up and play one? Rics are gorgeous to behold and hear, but their playability is very, shall we say, discriminating. Myself, I'm pining away for a 4001 bass in Azureglo.
Yhea I played one for an two hours about a couple weeks ago at a friends house. He did admit though, that his beater (some copy of the stratocaster he paid like $100 for) was easier to make work with most songs vs the Ric. But I still want one. I got a Fender Strat and an Fender Acoustic with pickups that do fine for my other stuff. I kinda just want the Ric so I can hang it up on my wall like art...... So gorgeous......

Sherlockian

Reaction score

And there you have it!
smile.gif

Yes, but they only come into play when you flick the little switch next to them (can you see that in the photo?) from normal to rhythm mode. Rhythm is just the neck pickup, but even with that little wheel turned to the brightest tone setting, it is mellower than on the normal setting (where you can use the bridge or both pickups too). Seems like a useless gimmick, but actually worked well for me when I used it live as it's a very bright-sounding guitar and my amp can be a bit piercing at higher volumes.

Also a few pages back...my Rick 360/6, in Fireglo. Yes, the neck is very thin. You need to have a pretty tidy and disciplined fretting technique to play chords cleanly if there are any open strings involved (i.e. B7 at the first position). For general use the Jazzmaster or a Tele can do many of the same things, but plug the Rick into a compressor, whack up the treble into a good cranked but clean tube amp, and nothing else on earth sounds better. On the other hand, it can't match the bluesy neck pickup tones of a Fender...that Jazzmaster with Duncans should be outstanding for this.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads