• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Spanking

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
No, not that kind of spanking. Yeaahhh, uhh, no, not that one either.

I'm curious to know about the prevalence and attitudes of those on the forum towards parents spanking their children. Specifically, do you/did you/will you spank your children as a form of discipline?

For further clarification, the poll is not asking if you yourself were spanked - it is asking if you do/did/will spank your own children, though your own experiences as the spankee are certainly welcome topics of conversation.

Poll options are pretty self-explanatory, though if you have very small children (as I do) who are still below the age at which spanking would be a reasonable measure, please vote with the "no children" blocks as appropriate.

Poll is private. Discussion on this might be interesting.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it just seemed to me that when I was spanked growing up it was more out of anger or the emotions of my parents than for any good reason. I also had a few friends who never got spanked and they were good, happy people.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
I was spanked. When it was the appropriate response to my actions. Never out of my parents' irrational anger or outbursts. I think it was a good thing.

darkdream

Reaction score
I am nowhere near to having children (just a college student). All the studies I have read showed negative results in children who were spanked vs those who were not. I do not believe in spanking. My folks believe in whipping, not spanking, which I think is worse. I believe you should try to reason with the child (my very young cousins I have babysat seem to respond well to lecturing them, but then again they are years ahead of other children their age in logic, academics, maturity, ect.)

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting case study: I was spanked and my sister was not (I'm an oldest child by 2 years so by the time my sister came along they were too busy with me to discipline her as rigorously.)

I've never been unemployed, work very hard and generally achieve highly. She has never held down a job for more than three months and generally appears to think the world was created simply to give her what she wants.

I don't know if it is linked, but I certainly intend to spank my kids. I think its a good way of forcing kids to respect their elders, which is something thats missing from society on the whole.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
I was spanked. When it was the appropriate response to my actions. Never out of my parents' irrational anger or outbursts. I think it was a good thing.

+1

uvmboi13

Reaction score
For those of you who voted to spank, you are sick sick people. Please don't have children.

darkdream

Reaction score
I really dislike when I see parents spank their children in public and worse of all if it is not the child's fault, but just the parents letting out their frustration on their child.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson

+1

Originally Posted by uvmboi13
For those of you who voted to spank, you are sick sick people. Please don't have children.

Whether you decide to reason with your children or spank them, all that matters is that you do it out of love (and not anger). I don't have children, but if I ever do, I will spank them when I think it's appropriate.

ZhiMingBuFanDe

Reaction score
My father spanked me with his shoehorn, which hurt like a *****. I learned some very valuable lessons through that shoehorn.

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I strongly believe in spanking.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0924231749.htm

Straus and Mallie Paschall, senior research scientist at the Pacific Institute for Research and Evaluation, studied nationally representative samples of 806 children ages 2 to 4, and 704 ages 5 to 9. Both groups were retested four years later.

IQs of children ages 2 to 4 who were not spanked were 5 points higher four years later than the IQs of those who were spanked. The IQs of children ages 5 to 9 years old who were not spanked were 2.8 points higher four years later than the IQs of children the same age who were spanked.
"How often parents spanked made a difference. The more spanking the, the slower the development of the child's mental ability. But even small amounts of spanking made a difference," Straus says.
There's also something very creepy about people who were spanked being so zealously insistent on how they deserved it.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Parents physically punishing children as a form of discipline (and never out of anger) when they deserve it, is sorely needed.

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was spanked, but probably only once or twice. It was more the threat, and knowing that it existed, than the actual act.

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by crazyquik
I was spanked, but probably only once or twice. It was more the threat, and knowing that it existed, than the actual act.

This was the same for me. I think it worked pretty well.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 82 37.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 84 38.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.3%

Forum statistics

Threads