• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got a "Sartoria by Tom James" tie for $5 ... feels like nice heavy silk. but i know nothing about the brand.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tom James does custom clothing. They are a subsidary of Oxxford Clothing. Prices are a lot lower, though. They have multiple lines at different price-points. I see Tom James stuff all the time though and almost always pass it up, unless it's one of their Holland & Sherry dress shirts. http://www.tomjames.com/

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nataku
Tom James does custom clothing. They are a subsidary of Oxxford Clothing. Prices are a lot lower, though. They have multiple lines at different price-points. I see Tom James stuff all the time though and almost always pass it up, unless it's one of their Holland & Sherry dress shirts.

http://www.tomjames.com/

I only get the Tom James suits if they have working buttonholes...

Temujin

Reaction score
Ok, so last week I mentioned an orphaned grey / blue window pane Burberrys jacket. I went back to the store to see if it was still there. It was, and right next to it was a second orphaned jacket, olive w/ tan windowpane! I searched the pants racks, including the women's to no avail. So I left them. On a whim, I decided to stop in at another thrift store to see if the pants might be there ( this particular thrift store actually has about 5 stores in my area). And lo and behold, what do I find!? (Not the pants, DANG it!) Eight BB Makers ties, a BB made in Italy jacket, a pair of Canali shoes!
The picture doesn't show it well, but the jacket is a herringbone, 46 L. For those of you who don't like ebay flippers, you will be proud to know I left you 2 ties, (the 2 with spots).
The shoes are sz 43.

lynch_king

Reaction score
I hate all of you guys so much, finding RLPL, brioni zegna etc etc

i went 3 times this last week,

Today I managed to get 1 tie, a Yves Saint Laurent one, brown with stripes like 3.5" wide.
It was $10.

only things i see around here are stained to crap Dior ties, Stained and ripped Givenchy ties, Talbot knit tieswith holes in them. and a bunch of old navy and department store garbage.

pretty much nothing in the same LEGUE as you guys.

Larson McCord

Reaction score
Hi guys, I am new to the forum and reading through it has helped me learn a ton. This thread got me hitting some thrift shops (or dumpster diving as my wife called it...she won't go). It's a real treasure hunt out there. I know some of you get frustrated but you have to realize that 95% of stuff donated is stuff people don't want.

So after 20 minutes of plowing through Stafford and Croft and Barrow and Arrow you come across a faconnable shirt. As a matter of fact, I found 4 of them in my size today along with 2 Brooks Brothers long sleeve polos, a couple of white button down dress shirts from Brooks Brothers, 2 from Polo and then 2 Brooks Brothers suits...exactly my size! All of this was likely from the same donor. All in practically new shape too.

I have not had a solid navy suit in my wardrobe for several years because I'm cheap and only buy stuff on sale. Solid Navy hardly ever goes on sale. Today one of the BB suits was navy!

I love you guys

RebelWithACause

Reaction score
Its usually feast or famine as anyone who post on here can tell you. Just go often, once a week, every week and you will score.

WRAdvisor

Reaction score
After cold spells at the normal routine, I went on a little road trip to some GW's and SA's around the state in or near "wealthy" towns and it was like the Gold Rush. A lot of RT BOC ties, BB shirts, Oscar de la Renta suits. Anyone seen this pattern? Higher end clothing at stores closer to wealthy areas?

cpmac7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not really something you find on this thread but I thought I would share, I found a Luigi Rist Painting, signed!, for a whooping $3.99
bigstar[1].gif

83glt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cpmac7
Not really something you find on this thread but I thought I would share, I found a Luigi Rist Painting, signed!, for a whooping $3.99
bigstar[1].gif

That's amazing. Good for you! I often check the "art" section and have never found anything. Gonna keep looking for sure! Are we talking Antiques Roadshow score there or what?

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Larson McCord
This thread got me hitting some thrift shops (or dumpster diving as my wife called it...she won't go).

Find a thing or two she can wear or would like (high end sweater, nice purse, etc.). Her views likely will soften.

Congrats on the finds. Welcome to the grind.

mainy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 83glt
That's amazing. Good for you! I often check the "art" section and have never found anything. Gonna keep looking for sure! Are we talking Antiques Roadshow score there or what?

probably worth at least a thousand bucks on name alone, but i am far from an art expert. pretty sweet score though

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by WRAdvisor
After cold spells at the normal routine, I went on a little road trip to some GW's and SA's around the state in or near "wealthy" towns and it was like the Gold Rush. A lot of RT BOC ties, BB shirts, Oscar de la Renta suits. Anyone seen this pattern? Higher end clothing at stores closer to wealthy areas?

For thrift shops that don't use a central distribution center, this is very much true. For one, there needs to be a place that sells high end clothing new in the area. Second, there needs to be people who buy the said high-end clothing new. These people usually live in wealthy cities/developments/etc. If there is a place that takes donations near where these people live or work, they're going to get the merchandise.

tsaltzma

Reaction score
My day in a nutshell...

Polo (C&J Onslow) norwegian bluchers
Bills M2 flat front NWT unhemmed
Polo dark blue linen blazer with working buttonholes
A few nice italian silk pocket squares
An old 60's book on tailoring
BB Country Club argyle sweater
BB v-neck sweater

I passed on some other interesting stuff..

Aquascutum pleated trousers
BB golden fleece pinstripe suit with a few small holes in it
frown.gif

Paul Stuart suit

Astan

Reaction score
I hadn't noticed this before, but at Goodwill there is something called "Boutique pricing". That is, clothes from boutique lines are priced at a much higher rate. It seems goodwill decided J.Crew was boutique so one of their shirts is 10 bucks. I like J.Crew, but 10 bucks? I hadn't noticed it before but the lady at the counter said theyve been doing boutique pricing for years. Not sure whether to pick it up anyways, hadn't gotten anything in a while, feeling the itch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads