• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NY Times: Why Designer Clothes Cost So Much

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mauro
The fact that designers can't really copyright there ideas is fucked. Back in the day Christian LeQua was being knocked off before his collection came out and he in returned knocked off his knock off. Crazy ****. However there really needs to be a time period for the designers to get there wears out there before the " fast fashion " knocks them off.

Designers can copyright their designs, provided they are actually unique. I know that NB recently sued someone (LV?) for knocking them off and there are other examples as well. Levi I believe was able to stop people from doing an exact replica of their classic jeans.
The problem is how can you say a black tee is in any way unique? Or a gingham check? Or really most clothes.
Too use epaulet as an example, there is not a single thing that he is designing that has not already been done. Seersucker shirts? Been done. The fact that his is green does not warrant a copyright. He might be doing a better job, the fit, fabric, and finish might be superior but you can't copyright quality tailoring or a nice fit.

This is not a knock on Mike, but it is the reality that a designer has to deal with.
It would be interesting as a legal question to see how far you could push the idea of a copyrightable design. I know a musician can copyright a beat, so in some sense it makes sense to be able to copyright a particular cut and pattern+notions.

Anyway, come with the after dinner shirts already and maybe we can talk.

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Well the international e-commerce thing ***** it up too, you can get protection for your designs in some countries but not all are going to grant/enforce that and since you can essentially get anything from anywhere, it'll end up in plebeian hands

Oh well, I've had my fair share of fast fashion **** with my 1 H&M shirt, I'll stick to things I enjoy wearing

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NorCal
Designers can copyright their designs, provided they are actually unique. I know that NB recently sued someone (LV?) for knocking them off and there are other examples as well. Levi I believe was able to stop people from doing an exact replica of their classic jeans.
The problem is how can you say a black tee is in any way unique? Or a gingham check? Or really most clothes.
Too use epaulet as an example, there is not a single thing that he is designing that has not already been done. Seersucker shirts? Been done. The fact that his is green does not warrant a copyright. He might be doing a better job, the fit, fabric, and finish might be superior but you can't copyright quality tailoring or a nice fit.

This is not a knock on Mike, but it is the reality that a designer has to deal with.
It would be interesting as a legal question to see how far you could push the idea of a copyrightable design. I know a musician can copyright a beat, so in some sense it makes sense to be able to copyright a particular cut and pattern+notions.

Anyway, come with the after dinner shirts already and maybe we can talk.

This is why designers should quit putting out the same stuff but with slightly different fit or details and start INNOVATING. At least this designer realized this and started coming up with original and patented designs.

bdeuce22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
This is why designers should quit putting out the same stuff but with slightly different fit or details and start INNOVATING. At least this designer realized this and started coming up with original and patented designs.

Problem is Company ABC in a foreign country can copy the same design and nothing will happen to them. International laws are fucked. Sure a patent here will protect (for the most part) a product others from copying and selling them here, but it's almost fair game in other parts of the world.

brad-t

Bae Blade
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bdeuce22
Problem is Company ABC in a foreign country can copy the same design and nothing will happen to them. International laws are fucked. Sure a patent here will protect (for the most part) a product others from copying and selling them here, but it's almost fair game in other parts of the world.

woosh

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
good luck knocking off aitor throup bichiiiiiiiiizzzzzzzzzzz

Bona Drag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KitAkira
Why does it matter so much to you? Rappers wear Margiela and Raf, so by association those brands are no longer cool and we shouldn't wear them? All of our brands are worn by celebs so therefore we shouldn't be wearing any of them, right?

who wears it and who designs/backs it are two entirely different matters

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Levi's sues for the tab and the archs. Trovatta( sp) tried to sue forever 21 for blatently knocking off one of their pieces to the exact color and lost.
You may not copyright a pattern but a logo or a tab like Levis is enforacable and they will go after you. A print of a fabric can be copy righted as well.

The after dinner shirt will be out soon. Don't even get me started. beofre dinner shirts should be out in a week or two most. I went to the factory and they were getting readt to be sent out to be dyed.

Bona- I don't agree. If the olsen twins are qualified to make something and a famous rapper isn't and he gets more credit I think thats kind of whack, no?
I would rather see the rapper help a rising star and help build a future fashion house.
Kayne is a dick ( to me) but he bailed out BoO but let's Scott do what he does and Kayne helps support his investment.
Does that make sense????

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
noted

driveslowk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What famous rapper gets credit for making ****? Roc-a-wear?

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
jay-z and puffy or whatever he is calling himself now. Both brands are taking a hit now but still they sell because of their names. There are lesser brands like apple bottom jeans done by Nellie.

I would buy from the olsen twins before russell simons wife or ex-wife.

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The twins went to school to become designers. So they are loaded big deal.
I could care less about the twins they both could get hit by a bus and I wouldn't bat two eye lashes but to say their product is crappier than other by just their name is silly.
that's all I am trying to say.

I do wish people would support more undiscovered designer and want to put quality first but sadly that isn't the case.

I haven't read this entire thread yet, but this caught my eye. This is what Tim Gunn always says on project runway, anything to help young designers get discovered is a good thing.

Bona Drag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bona- I don't agree. If the olsen twins are qualified to make something and a famous rapper isn't and he gets more credit I think thats kind of whack, no?
I would rather see the rapper help a rising star and help build a future fashion house.
Kayne is a dick ( to me) but he bailed out BoO but let's Scott do what he does and Kayne helps support his investment.
Does that make sense????

yeah, that's the one thing i was gonna say - if the row has talented young designers doing good things for them (and it sounds like they do), i wish those people success, luck, etc.

but this is sort of my point - to me, kanye is good brand association (not that i can or would buy band)
he makes a lot of good music, has had a huge impact on the industry over the last decade, is a highly visible fashion icon, etc.

i don't hate/resent the olsen twins, nor do i think they're spoiled morons
as i said, i believe you (and rye/fok) that they know what they're doing and are committed to making a high quality product

but if i have to go into this much detail to explain why the olsen twins are a negative association for me, and probably would be for lots of other guys in their target market, i don't know what to tell you

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads