• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Floyd Money Mayweather vs Sugar Shane Mosley

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
It's a psychological game. He's a Filipino fighter. He has a different belief system, which, although very religious, it also based on a lot of superstition, even as ridiculous as it may sound to every one else. From what I heard, the last time he submitted to the blood testing before the fight, he lost. Granted it was long ago, before he became as dominant as he is, but it is part of his pscyhe.

My question is, did Mayweather require that Mosley submit to the same testing as a condition to taking this fight?? I doubt it. All BS and posturing on Mayweather's part. He knows he's going to have the fight of his life with Pac-man, so he wants any psychological advantage he can get. He or his camp is not seriously concerned that Pac-man is juicing.

Yes, Mosley took the same test

Originally Posted by ConcernedParent
Pretty sure Mayweather was ******* with Mosley in the first... oh 4 rounds; because Mayweather looked pretty vulnerable and yet the last 8 simply demonstrated Mayweather to be in another class.

I don't think who was ******* with Mosley doing the 2nd round, not the way Mosley hit him.

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
5) Floyd was fighting out of the high guard sometimes in this fight. The same one he used against southpaw zab judah. He might use the same guard against southpaw pacquiao if the fight. His defense is still great even without that famous shoulder roll. Mosley got beat worse than Marquez, but Mosley was the much larger man.

Joe E Taleo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TyCooN
5) Floyd was fighting out of the high guard sometimes in this fight. The same one he used against southpaw zab judah. He might use the same guard against southpaw pacquiao if the fight. His defense is still great even without that famous shoulder roll.

Mosley got beat worse than Marquez, but Mosley was the much larger man.

That guard reminded me of Winky Wright vs Shane Mosley. Shane could not penetrate Winky's guard, and to me it looked like Mayweather was using that to great effect against Mosley.

lpresq

Reaction score
Mosley looked stiff and reluctant the entire fight. In fact, I don't recall him throwing a single combination....he did the same b/s in his losses to Wright and Forest.

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ConcernedParent
211rbt.jpg

I was impressed by how quick Floyd handled being hit flush by the hardest hitter in the division. It only took him about 10 seconds to regain his senses from Mosley's looping right and to walk down Shane. I was expecting to see Floyd down for the first time in his own career (I don't count the injured hand in the Hernandez fight), but he managed to whether the storm. This showed us lots about Floyd. He did the right thing by standing in the pocket to smolder shane and trying to sneak in body shots. The last 35 seconds of the 2nd rd were all Mayweather, despite Mosley hurting him with two big shots earlier in the round. The way the round ended would make you think nothing happened to Floyd. Mosley is a great finisher, and he would have KO'd Floyd had he chose to run or just cover up. The sharks in the ocean can't get you if they don't smell your blood. Floyd was pressing the action in the last 35 seconds of the 2nd and the entire 3rd. Shane was trying to use his jab to set up shots on Floyd in the 3rd to no avail. Those lead leaping left hooks and Floyd's counter right kept Mosley honest. Mayweather took away all of Mosley's offensive arsenals in that 3rd. Everyone knows Mosley doesn't have a good jab, but that was all he was left with. Being countered way too often after throwing his useless punch made him lose confidence, and having the last minute of round two taken away from him by a pressing forward Floyd killed him psychologically. We all expected Floyd to win, but no one thought he was going to walk Mosley down. Mosley was shocked himself. The 2nd and 3rd rounds of this fight were the best parts. It only took $ two rounds to crack the Shane Mosley code. Respect goes out to Shane for a wild 2008 by exposing and KO'ing Margacheato, and his entertaining ring antics in 2009 on September 19th. Who knows how many more careers Margacheato would have ruined if not for Shane.

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Matt
well that was boring.

it was boring in the sense of seeing someone be totally outboxed.

this was a bit like watching the Lakers vs Celtics 2008: superpower semi-one dimensional offense and athletic ability vs total team defense with counter attack.

I honestly don't know how anyone smaller than PBF can beat him unless its a KO (or a major knock down and just surviving/losing in a decision). I only see someone tall (over 6ft) like paul williams have a realistic chance.

What impressed me about floyd was his corner. PBF actually took the advice (except for the 1st and 2nd round). They were calm and collected throughout (even bringing him right back to his senses after the 2nd).

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LawrenceMD
I honestly don't know how anyone smaller than PBF can beat him unless its a KO (or a major knock down and just surviving/losing in a decision). I only see someone tall (over 6ft) like paul williams have a realistic chance.
Margarito was able to stand and trade with Williams, but he was knocked out by Shane. Seems like Mosley has moar power. PBF survived Mosley's best shot; he was working on specifically in camp just for Saturday's fight. Paul Williams doesn't like to box tall for someone of his stature with monster reach. Very sloppy fighter, he even lunges in to smolder his own shots. Throws too side, and he loves to fight at mid range. All that combined with his big body leaves him to be countered. Williams struggled whenever he fought someone with slickness; he was outboxed by Quintana and confused by Martinez countering. He loses by decision vs PBF. Easier win for Mayweather @ 147, but moar challenging @ 154. I don't think Williams can make 147 anymore? The only opponent in the welterweight division with a skill set close enough to make a potentially competitive fight with Floyd is Pacquiao. Shane Mosley has much stronger one shot power than pacquiao does, and his chin is superior. Pacquiao by being the smallest man in the welterweight division will be sacrificing power along with durability. He doesn't have the reach or a jab that's good enough to get into the proper range. The best punch to throw against a fighter standing in the opposite stance is a cross. PBF's right hand and timing > pac's left hand and timing. I can see his foot speed bothering Mayweather at first. Mayweather will push back as hard as he's pushed, and pacquiao is a very aggressive fighter. Pacquiao gets knocked out in the late rounds. Zab Judah was walked down after having a good first four rounds, Ricky Hatton received enough punishment to be KO'd for constantly trying to fight ugly, Marquez was knocked down after landing his best shot of the night, and Mosley was fucked after he "woke up" Mayweather in round 2. His chin gets shattered by Mayweather's straight right hand along with the dreams of his countrymen resting on his shoulders, as he goes down. http://sports.yahoo.com/box/news?slu...thervspacquiao http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=126448111
Originally Posted by EMMANUEL
If we fight, I’ll need more speed because Mayweather is fast For me, as long as the drug test is not done close to the match, I'll agree because if they'll get blood from me close to the match, it will be a disadvantage for me because I'm smaller and he's big
How do you beat someone who's faster than you, bigger than you, and has better timing? Pac is already worried about Mayweather's size, but Mayweather's style doesn't involve very much brute strength. PBF even boxed the whole way against a much smaller man in Marquez. Then there's Martinez who Mayweather is considering, in case pacquiao decides to duck him a 2nd time. His cross isn't all that great, his jab is okay, and his right hook is his money shot. Doesn't throw too many combos since he fights with his hands down at the waist. He's a counter punching, pot short artist like PBF, but he has bad balance due to his awkward style, less accuracy, and uses athleticism for D. Martinez is the quickest man in his weight divisons. Like pacquiao, I think his movement will bother Mayweather at first. After PBF sets the timing down right, he'll outbox him to a UD. Mayweather's timing and accuracy along with Sergio's awkward balance is a recipe to rack up points by flash knockdowns. PBF should beat pacquiao first to increase his star power even more, and then go after those other two. That way he can make more money. Those are the only meaningful fights for him right now, and if he beats at least two of them he has a case for being really up there. They all happen to be southpaws. His skills are already some of the best, most likely the greatest boxing we'll ever see in our lifetimes. Anyways, I agree that bigger men like Williams and Martinez would be a harder fight for PBF. In no way are they greater than Pacquiao, but their size advantages makes for a harder fight against PBF.

frenchy

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
TYCOON,you beat somebody whos faster then you by going to the body and slowing them the **** down.been done many times...roy jones was fast and mosley was fast (when forrest beah his ass when he was in his prime) so was oscar and Ali
.the list goes on and on.
Mosley had no plan B,brother Nazeem didnt tell him to the body to go not ONCE.
Money hates being hit to the body (castillo) and even had a previous rib injury.
i think Martinez is just as smart as him,and will go to the body.
and yes he does keep his hands low but he throws a **** load of combos,dont know what you are talking about there.

Vashin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nah Martinez is more of a 1, 2 then backs off. High energy fighter with awesome stamina though... too bad he started boxing a little old at 20 years of age... I still think Paul will be a good fight vs Mayweather (if he can make weight) but we'll know for sure after the Cintron fight.

I think Mayweather is the #1 p4p after that performance. A Money vs Manny fight has to be made

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by frenchy
TYCOON,you beat somebody whos faster then you by going to the body and slowing them the **** down.been done many times...roy jones was fast and mosley was fast (when forrest beah his ass when he was in his prime) so was oscar and Ali .the list goes on and on. Mosley had no plan B,brother Nazeem didnt tell him to the body to go not ONCE. Money hates being hit to the body (castillo) and even had a previous rib injury. i think Martinez is just as smart as him,and will go to the body. and yes he does keep his hands low but he throws a **** load of combos,dont know what you are talking about there.
Pacquiao doesn't have the reach, jab, and footwork to constantly get in to catch Floyd with body shots. And since was pacquiao a body puncher? He's generally a head hunter first. Emmanuel couldn't even cut off the ring properly to get a true blue knockout on a busted up Cotto You sure he can catch the most elusive fighter in the sport ever since Whitaker? Floyd isn't just faster than manny. Mayweather has more reach than manny, better footwork, better reflexes, better timing, and he's bigger to top it all off. That's a recipe for a disastrous uphill battle. No, Martinez doesn't throw a **** load of combos. He rarely punches in excess of 3. Martinez isn't manny pacquiao. He likes to deliver around 2 hits then back off before they can hit him back. Sometimes he plays the counter puncher. Mayweather would be able to see his combos coming since his 2nd hand is all the way down there after throwing his first punch. Martinez is there to be timed and countered.

leftover_salmon

Reaction score
I don't get it. All these guys go into the ring against Mayweather and end up trying to outbox him rather than just rain punches. Mosley had it right the first couple rounds by going after him and being extremely aggressive.

Basically, you can try to outbox PBF and lose by decision, or you can try to knock him out and actually have a chance at winning. Although Mayweather does deserve a lot of credit for being able to control fights, guys have to be willing to risk being counterpunched and KO'd if they want to beat him. They seem to be more content to stay standing and lose on the cards than to actually give themselves a chance and risk ending up on the canvas.

frenchy

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TyCooN
Pacquiao doesn't have the reach, jab, and footwork to constantly get in to catch Floyd with body shots. And since was pacquiao a body puncher? He's generally a head hunter first. Emmanuel couldn't even cut off the ring properly to get a true blue knockout on a busted up Cotto You sure he can catch the most elusive fighter in the sport ever since Whitaker?

Floyd isn't just faster than manny. Mayweather has more reach than manny, better footwork, better reflexes, better timing, and he's bigger to top it all off. That's a recipe for a disastrous uphill battle.

No, Martinez doesn't throw a **** load of combos. He rarely punches in excess of 3. Martinez isn't manny pacquiao. He likes to deliver around 2 hits then back off before they can hit him back. Sometimes he plays the counter puncher. Mayweather would be able to see his combos coming since his 2nd hand is all the way down there after throwing his first punch. Martinez is there to be timed and countered.

i was referring to Martinez's bodypunching,i agree manny is all head shots

frenchy

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by leftover_salmon
I don't get it. All these guys go into the ring against Mayweather and end up trying to outbox him rather than just rain punches. Mosley had it right the first couple rounds by going after him and being extremely aggressive.

Basically, you can try to outbox PBF and lose by decision, or you can try to knock him out and actually have a chance at winning. Although Mayweather does deserve a lot of credit for being able to control fights, guys have to be willing to risk being counterpunched and KO'd if they want to beat him. They seem to be more content to stay standing and lose on the cards than to actually give themselves a chance and risk ending up on the canvas.

exactly,you cannot out box the best pure boxer in the world...you gotta make that mothefucker "fight".remember when mcgirt told gatti to box him?that dumb ****,worst advice ever,,he should have said go in there and rough him up...hit him in the shoulders,arms,chest..i think he stll would have lost but not as humiliating..RIP

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads