• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ultimate noob thread - recommend me X in my wardrobe - post questions here please.

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kurtz
Also, don't tell the MC side that you have black dress pants...

I have a job that requires them. I don't really want jeans though, I already have a very dark denim that I wear when I'm not at work. What I'm really looking for is a good fitting pair of black pants that aren't as nice as dress pants.

Kurtz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by landshark
I have a job that requires them...

Fair enough, I don't have many suggestions for you, maybe black cords? There are certainly black chinos out there too, H&M probably has some.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a coat similar to this Wing & Horns one? I love the color and details, but it's definitely out of my price range. Thanks in advance!

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kurtz
Also, don't tell the MC side that you have black dress pants...

While charcoal is a better option, you can still fit black pants into your wardrobe.

Kurtz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by deveandepot1
While charcoal is a better option, you can still fit black pants into your wardrobe.

Agreed, as long as you don't wear them pleated, baggy, with a white shirt and bad black shoes (the uniform over here for law-students-in-waiting) they can work. Like you said though, I much prefer the various shades of gray.

bakatora

Reaction score
lookin' at the gilt hickey sale, anyone have any opinions as to which of navy or charcoal would be a more versatile suit color? i only wear a suit a handful of times a year.. but i guess the root of my question would be: is it inappropriate to wear a navy suit to a funeral?

kgmessier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can someone recommend a quality leather belt that would go well with these shoes? I'd like a belt I could wear with both casual chinos and dressier trousers.
magli1.jpg

Yatsunil

Reaction score
Hi! I'm new here and I need a recommendation for a Sports Coat color. In my country, it's not common to wear a sports coat or blazer but I need one for dinners and other occasions when I travel overseas. Nothing too casual or too formal. I intend to pair it with gray slacks, kaki/brown chinos or very dark jeans. Thanks!

Zassiliss

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new here and just starting to build up my wardrobe, switching out ****** department store brands and mall brands. However, I am still a poor-ass university student, and therefore am a little limited in my budget.

As a skinny 5'11'' guy at 135 lb. where can I find some casual button-downs in solid colors for daily wear?

Brookshiii

Reaction score
I didn't see this thread at first.

But I don't know how to pull off the plaid look.

Kurtz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kgmessier
Can someone recommend a quality leather belt that would go well with these shoes? I'd like a belt I could wear with both casual chinos and dressier trousers.

Seems like any lighter brown belt would work with those, for casual wear maybe try a Tanner belt? I'm not as well-versed on dressier options, sorry.

Originally Posted by Yatsunil
Hi! I'm new here and I need a recommendation for a Sports Coat color. In my country, it's not common to wear a sports coat or blazer but I need one for dinners and other occasions when I travel overseas. Nothing too casual or too formal. I intend to pair it with gray slacks, kaki/brown chinos or very dark jeans. Thanks!

The classic sport coat is a navy blazer. You could switch out the brass buttons for mother of pearl for a more casual look (what I did). However, if you want to pair it with jeans, you may want to try a different color, gray tweed maybe? You would get better recommendations on the Men's Clothing forum.

Originally Posted by Zassiliss

As a skinny 5'11'' guy at 135 lb. where can I find some casual button-downs in solid colors for daily wear?

On a budget, I like H&M, Uniqlo and Zara. There stuff is actually slim and is cheap cheap cheap. I'm also a student and this is the route I usually take.

Originally Posted by Brookshiii
I didn't see this thread at first.

But I don't know how to pull off the plaid look.

What is the "plaid look"? Plaid head-to-toe or are we just talking a plaid shirt?

Saul Silver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To those recommending Uniqlo for us broke-ass college students: where's the best place to buy their goods? AFAIK they only have one US store in NYC and don't take online orders.

Thanks.

Kurtz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Saul Silver
To those recommending Uniqlo for us broke-ass college students: where's the best place to buy their goods? AFAIK they only have one US store in NYC and don't take online orders.

Thanks.

Also a broke-ass college student, I believe you can order on the phone (I got stuff on a visit).

Shiny

Reaction score
Can someone recommend to me a pair of cheap denim jeans that are dark(er) blue and are lightweight and thin? I bought a pair of CKs this weekend that fit the bill except they stonewashed them so much they lost much of their blue. BTW, i paid $25 after using a 25% Macy's F&F coupon,. Orig MSRP was around $60.

I'm gonna return them b/c I got home and realized I have 3 other pairs just like them (!).

Trapp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
noob question:

Is their an official thread for Samurai denim?

I've done several searches under the obvious combinations ("official samurai", "samurai denim", "samurai thread", etc.) and can't turn anything up.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads