• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by obiter dictum
ok, that's good to hear. But am I right in thinking the rise has been shortened by 0.5" across the board? The size 33 smith has a 10.75" rise in the measurement chart, while my smiths from the first run were 11.25".

No, the rise is the same, I'm just using a different measurement technique. Originally, I was measuring the full rise - so that's the top of the waistband to the absolute bottom of the crotch - with the jeans laid flat.

A lot of customers wanted to know the exact front and rear rise. If you look at the crotch seam of your jeans, there's a small square where the front & rear pieces meet. So the front rise is measured from this square to the front, the rear rise is measured from the square to the back.

But overall, the Smith fit is identical to the first run, but with 1 inch less in the waist. So there's no more sizing down. The legs are a tiny bit bigger as you're not going down one size, but the difference is almost too subtle to notice.

bakatora

Reaction score
Hey Mike,

Regarding the measurements on the Hoyts, for some reason I recall the initial sample size 34 to have a 13.5" measurement on the thigh, am I just remembering wrong? I might just be mixed up because of your mentioning you had 27" (!) thighs in one of your threads.

Regardless I'll be placing an order soon. Just curious.

bakatora

Reaction score
Originally Posted by djh
^13.5" thighs are 27" when doubled...

lol, thanks brotha. but the thigh measurement on the website is listed as 12.5", so I was just clarifying that the measurements were correct.

djh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the sizing charts for the Hoyt fit's are messed up in general.. They're the exact same as the slimmer fit. I noticed it earlier when I was looking at the trousers..

dhanrahan

Reaction score
Mike-

Any plans to restock the Gant Cotton Park or Gitman Vintage shirts?

New Jeans look great. I sent you a PM w/ a quick question.

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by djh
I think the sizing charts for the Hoyt fit's are messed up in general.. They're the exact same as the slimmer fit. I noticed it earlier when I was looking at the trousers..

Huh?

4563887393_ec71a01bdb_o.jpg

4563887451_4911641b0a_o.jpg

blynch

Reaction score
Originally Posted by djh
The Trouser sizing chart for the Rudy was originally messed up, but it has been fixed for some time now. The Hoyt chart has been correct the entire time. There doesn't seem like much difference between the Hoyt and Smith (hoyt is only .25" larger in the thigh), but I assume there is more difference mid thigh (Smith probably tappers more aggressively).

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bakatora
Hey Mike,

Regarding the measurements on the Hoyts, for some reason I recall the initial sample size 34 to have a 13.5" measurement on the thigh, am I just remembering wrong? I might just be mixed up because of your mentioning you had 27" (!) thighs in one of your threads.

Regardless I'll be placing an order soon. Just curious.

Hey John,

Actually, it looks like I'm clocking in at around 26" on one leg and 26.25" on the other. Taking an actual thigh measurement doesn't directly relate to the jean thigh measurement though, as you'll measure a body part at the thickest point, but the jeans are 9" down from the waist. My legs are probably on the bigger side of most guys who would wear the Hoyt, but you can see in the fit pic that they're fitted but not super-tight.

Originally Posted by djh

The Hoyt measurements are correct. There's a subtle difference in the thigh, but the difference in rise and waist pitch makes the legs significantly bigger than that 0.25" difference would lead to you believe.

And yes, our Rudy pant measurements were incorrect the first day that we posted them, as I got a little cut n' paste punchy. A SF member alerted me to it, and they've been fixed.

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Mike, get at me. Re: PM.

laughter95

Reaction score
just received my creme double-faced shirt. does anyone else think that their shirt is darted a little too much? and the box pleat on the back + back darts combo might be a little strange-- the top half of the back of the shirt has a semi-parachute while the bottom half is pulled in quite closely.

i'm also thinking about the shirt tail in the back-- it looks to be 2 inches longer than the front. if you're wearing a button-down shirt untucked, should the back tail be the same length as the front?

i'm not sure how i feel about the shirt.

Doctor

Reaction score
It totally depends what your physique is. I actually get them slightly altered even beyond the existing taper (no flare at the bottom - just straight down from the narrowest point). But then I have an athletic build and a big drop shoulders-waist.

Different cuts suit different body types.

humeee

Reaction score
Originally Posted by laughter95
just received my creme double-faced shirt. does anyone else think that their shirt is darted a little too much? and the box pleat on the back + back darts combo might be a little strange-- the top half of the back of the shirt has a semi-parachute while the bottom half is pulled in quite closely.

i'm also thinking about the shirt tail in the back-- it looks to be 2 inches longer than the front. if you're wearing a button-down shirt untucked, should the back tail be the same length as the front?

i'm not sure how i feel about the shirt.

I have the double-faced shirt in black and am quite happy with the fit. I'm 6'2'' and 175lbs with a 42'' chest and a 32'' waist. It is more or less impossible to find off-the-rack stuff that fits me, and the epaulet cut in XL is nearly perfect. The shirt fits my shoulders (which are kinda big from lifting) well and then tappers down to fit my waist well also.

I do agree about the shirt tails, though. Only way the fit could be improved for me is shortening it by about 1-2in (I'll never be tucking this shirt in) and matching the front and back tail lengths. You're correct in that the back tail is longer by about 2 inches.

I'm quite happy with the shirt and fit.

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The darting is one of the reasons I sized up from a medium to a large after the SF flannel collab. The shirt fit fine in the shoulders and chest, but the darting created an odd silhouette because of my big hips/ass. The darting was much less pronounced on a large and it still fit well in the shoulders and chest, while maintaining a slimmer cut.

As for the shirt tails, cold washing it is suppose to shrink them slightly. I'd give that a shot. If that doesn't suit your needs, just have a tailor shorten them a little bit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads