• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Phineas Cole... too out there?

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I consider Jean Paul Gaultier and John Galliano as "too out there" (or any term for REALLY eccentric).

I actually like the cut because it hangs well on my slim frame. The fabric was nice and it appeared well made but for the retail price (and basic colors), I held off. I guess coming from the more conservative houses it can be considered "cutting edge."

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by UserNameToronto
Tim Horton's rules rural areas and suburbs only. In downtown Toronto or Vancouver, Tim's a bum.

Really? At my office in downtown Edmonton we have a second cup, starbucks, and tim hortons attached to the mall. In the morning there's never more than 4-5 people in line at starbucks or second cup, but like 30-40 people in line at tim hortons, it's like a boxing day sale lineup at all times.

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FidelCashflow
Really? At my office in downtown Edmonton we have a second cup, starbucks, and tim hortons attached to the mall. In the morning there's never more than 4-5 people in line at starbucks or second cup, but like 30-40 people in line at tim hortons, it's like a boxing day sale lineup at all times.

Edmonton's a small city
tinfoil.gif

tim_horton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FidelCashflow

That's more like it! Starbuck's is a bit of a rip and the coffee's is too strong.

Anyhoo, thinking it over I probably will pass on the Phineas. Nice suit but it just didn't spark my interest like the Oxxford Type A or the Zegna Roma - especially in terms of how the fabric feels. I'll probably have to flip a coin between these two, especially if I can get the Type A at a discount through the NY sale right now. I keep putting off my purchase, but like a spine surgeon once said to me, "analysis leads to paralysis."

UserNameToronto

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tim_horton
That's more like it! Starbuck's is a bit of a rip and the coffee's is too strong.
No such thing as coffee that is too strong. Tim Hortons coffee is excessively weak. I think it's a class thing, and a rural/urban thing. If you think American cars are great and drive a Chevy Malibu, you're a Tim Hortons kind of guy. These types are rare in major urban centres. Starbucks is Douglas Coupland; Tim Hortons is Red Green. EDIT - getting back on track, I agree that passing on Phineas is a good bet.

tim_horton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by UserNameToronto
I think it's a class thing, and a rural/urban thing. If you think American cars are great and drive a Chevy Malibu, you're a Tim Hortons kind of guy. These types are rare in major urban centres. Starbucks is Douglas Coupland; Tim Hortons is Red Green.

That may hold true for Canadians, but I think it's different for Americans. Here in NYC, you can't walk for three minutes without hitting a Starbucks. Tim Horton's is very rare in the US, and for me, is one of the things I associate with living in Montreal, so I'll always have a soft spot for it. Along with red mailboxes, the Metro, Toonies, etc. And I've never lived in a rural area and like small Japanese cars - though I do like Red Green.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I love the look of Phineas, however their jackets are kind of strange, they have strong roped sleeve caps, but they have no shoulder padding and are unlined. They look really structured when they fit well, but there is almost nothing to them and they are a bit on the flimsy side. I would like them better if they had more of a chest piece and were lined.

Mark Seitelman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tim_horton
I tried on some Phineas Cole suits for the first time today... I liked them but the cut is a little more "extreme" then what I'm used to. In this suit too fashion forward for something like, say, a wedding?

The other suit I'm looking at is the Oxxford Type A, which is more sedate.

Phineas Cole is a more dandyish suit. E.g., very slim cut, high gorge, high button stance, peak lapels, color linings, slanted pockets, ticket pockets, side vents, etc.

It is a suit for a fit, lean, and tall person who wants to stand-out in the crowd.

After the initial novelty, you may find the compliments and comments disarming.

If you prefer to be just well dressed rather than the center of attention, go for the Oxxford.

judgest

Reaction score
Funny stumbling over this thread now that Phineas has gotten even more extreme. While the cut is still great for a slim guy, they've definitely revved up the dandy factor.

Back in '08/'09 they still were using many fabrics with a more Italian vibe, but now it's so British dandy with their exploded tweeds that I don't understand who they think their customer is. Here's to wishing they'd reel it back in a bit and produce some more subtle stuff.

vida

Reaction score
I agree, judgest. At first I liked their cut as they offered notch lapel jackets without hacking pockets on some models. But the current offering looks almost ridiclous to the point of being "costumey". I would actually like to see who is buying this stuff and where they actually wear it. It is too bad really, because the original concept of Phineas had promise.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads