• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SF Music Club, Take Two - The Albums

Piroshky

Reaction score
Originally Posted by phildo
Pirohsky's turn??

Sorry. I have a suggestion if ya'll're willing:
tanlines-settings.jpg

Tanlines - Settings

(search "Tanlines Settings mediafire" in Google)

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score

phildo

Reaction score
**** this thread is dying hard

i'll post an album later tonight if indesertum doesn't

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
totally forgot about the thread Bilal - 1st Born Second (2001)
1stBornAlbum.jpg
From Chicago Sun Times (8/12/01)
On the heels of the mega-success of Philadelphia songstress Jill Scott comes another smooth-as-butter, "neo-soul" release out of the City of Brotherly Love. Bilal's stellar debut "1st Born Second" shows us what love is all about--and it ain't bump and grind. Instead, it's about music. And singing. And the gift of storytelling that has fallen by the wayside in mainstream R&B. Bilal waltzes us on the sad ballad "When Will You Call," and self-reflects on the jazzy "Sometimes,"perfectly reproducing Prince's trademark falsetto wail. In fact, the Prince influence is heard throughout the CD, especially when Bilal screams "you could be a star" (a la "Baby I'ma Star) on the funky "For You." Prince isn't the only "elder" getting respect from Bilal. He's also conjured up the likes of old-school crooners Marvin Gaye and Curtis Mayfield in "Fast Lane" and added a dab of hip- hop ("Reminisce," featuring Common and Mos Def, offers a stark contrast to the silky smooth "Soul Sista," produced by neo soul pioneer Raphael Saadiq. Fellow Philadelphia natives The Roots and Dr. Dre also show up on the album. While the intoxicating mixture of sounds will tickle the senses, it's Bilal's voice that keeps the ear yearning for more. Bilal (which he says stands for Beautiful Intelligent Lustful And Livin' it) uses his vocals to groan low like a bass drum and soar in high falsetto range. Like his obvious mentors, Prince and D'Angelo, this adventurous new artist is poised to carve out his own niche in the music world and stay there awhile.
From USA Today's Steve Jones (7/31/2001)
R&B: Bilal, First Born Second ( * * * * out of four) Rarely has a new R&B artist been as steeped in musical history -- and at the same time unencumbered by convention -- as Philadelphia singer/songwriter Bilal Oliver. At first listen, it's easy to pick out his more obvious influences -- D'Angelo, Prince, George Clinton, Marvin Gaye -- but his roots go far deeper than that. Trained in both jazz and opera, he's adept at using his remarkably elastic voice to convey mood and feeling in ways that go beyond the mere expression of words. His creative blend of these various elements results in a sound at once familiar and fresh. Similarly, his lyrics offer unique perspectives on topics that have been touched on before, and while several top- flight producers -- James Mtume, James Poyser, Mike City and others - - contribute, it is clearly his vision. The Dr. Dre-produced Fast Lane explores the consequences of living on the edge; the introspective Sometimes examines his own hopes and fears; and the sanctified Slyde pays homage to Sly Stone. Sensual first single Soul Sista is a tribute to black women, while the title track addresses societal injustice. It also references the coming of a second generation of neo-soul artists who seem poised to take that music to a higher plane.
http://rs315.rapidshare.com/files/90...orn_Second.rar not sure if the link works

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piroshky
Sorry. I have a suggestion if ya'll're willing:
tanlines-settings.jpg

Tanlines - Settings

(search "Tanlines Settings mediafire" in Google)

downloading this now.

i think matt's link is dead

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
yes he is. everything is super awesome, but his lyrics tend to be a little... cheesy, lovey dovey, sex machiney

thats.mana

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gave this a listen last night and enjoyed it. Because it's not what I normally listen to I probably won't be giving this another spin. I can hear Dre all over this record.

Dedalus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by indesertum
totally forgot about the thread Bilal - 1st Born Second (2001)
1stBornAlbum.jpg

As a fan of neo-soul, Dr. Dre, Dilla, and Philadelphia, I love this submission. I wish I had something more interesting to say about it, but I don't. It's just great
smile.gif
EDIT: HAha, "Soul Sista" is so awkward, with the heavy man-breathing.

Dedalus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I admit I forgot about this, but I have an excuse. I was out of town on business this week, and I got back on Thursday night. I took the day off on Friday to make up lost time with my son, but that is not my excuse. At the risk of being cool storied, here it is:

I went out for a jog Friday evening, a little before twilight just after a storm had passed. I figured I could squeeze in some high intensity before dark. As it got darker, I envisioned a scenario of a mugger holding up a jogger.

"Give me what you got."

"Sorry, I don't have anything."

"Give me your wedding ring."

"It's tungsten, it's not worth any money."

"Oh, you should have gone with gold or platinum. EMTs can't cut tungsten or titanium off your finger if it swells up, you don't want to lose a finger."

"Yeah, I know."

But what moron would mug a jogger? My neighborhood is safe anyways, not like the ghetto I moved out of.

I was running on the sidewalk under some trees, when I spotted four younger black males across the street. Two of them made their way over, and then I got a bad feeling.

"Yo, man, hold on."

I slowed to a stop.

"Give me what you got."

I saw him pull out a handgun, oh ****. He pushed it right into my chest. He didn't even have the courtesy to point it at my head.

"Come on, give me what you got."

"Sorry man, I don't have anything."

"What'd you just drop?"

"Oh, it's just a sportswatch." I must have dropped my dollar store sportswatch out of surprise. What if they're angry that I don't have anything of value? Please god don't make me pay them in **** dollars, I have hemorrhoids.

The other two thugs make their way over across the street, and I'm half surrounded. I notice their hoods are up and their faces are covered. Realizing that I don't want to know what they look like and that I want them to know this, I look down at the ground.

"I'm not looking at you guys, I don't know what you look like."

"Calm down, man, calm down."

One of them hands me my sportswatch, and they run off. What, you don't need a sportswatch? **** you, my sportswatch doesn't need you. Not sure what to do, I head the opposite direction, away from my house. I just want to be away from them.

After some time passes, I start to head back home, when I spot a lone young black man emerging from where I was just mugged. I throw my hands up and turn around.

"Look man, I'm just trying to get home, I'm not looking for trouble."

He sounds confused, and I realize it's just a dude and I look really racist. After chatting a little with him about what just happened, I give up on going home and knock on a random door. An old lady comes to the door but just looks at me through the glass.

"Hi, I was just mugged, I was wondering if I could use your phone to call the police."

She tells me she'll do it for me and hobbles out of sight. The sky opens up, and the rain pours down on me. I should have picked a house with a porch. Her husband comes to the door, eyes me suspiciously, and then goes back to his television. The old lady comes back and asks me some questions through the glass to relay to the police, and I stand there drenched, awkwardly answering her questions.

The old lady tells me the police are on their way. She cracks open the door and hands me a hand towel. "Sorry," she says.

"Thanks. It's understandable." I realize that she might not have been apologizing for herself, but then the mugging was also understandable, so the ambiguity evens out.

The police arrive, and I describe the story and the stickup kids. Young, slim, black, male, average height, baggy clothing, hoods, masks. The police are sure to catch them from my description. An officer takes me home in the back of his car, recommending to me that I should carry some mace. Sure, and maybe a whistle too, that would have come in handy.

I won't lie, I'm a little proud that I had a gun in my chest and that I didn't cry like a little ***** and beg for my life, that I managed to stay calm and reasonable. Maybe next time I can use that badass line, "You think this is the first time I've had a gun pointed at me? You best think hard about what you're going to do next." And then they would hand me the gun and apologize.

That night really threw me out of my element, I don't even know what would make a 'good' submission right now. But, it's left me feeling gangsta so here's a non-obscure classic, Chronic 2001.

https://www.yousendit.com/download/d...U1BvQUpjR0E9PQ

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads