• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NY Times: Why Designer Clothes Cost So Much

Rye GB

Angry Englishman
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mauro
Then your nuts.
Their stuff is actually nice and you don't really **** around with billionaires who have some amazingly talented designers working for them and the fact the don't need to skimp on their factories or fabric. Don't hate on them because of grwoing pains or whatever show they started at. These girls have been into fashion and the understanding of fashion for many many years.

The girl's know their stuff, use excellent fabrics and manufacturing facilities. My wife was their Design Director at Mary Kate & Ashley for 5+ years.

Rye GB

Angry Englishman
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
Doesn't just have to be trousers, but cotton twills and jerseys hold the color best. I've done this with tees and shirts (it's pretty easy), and you can mix things up to get the color and effect that you want. Also, I did something similar recently (thanks Rye) with jeans to give them a darker cast.

You're welcome homey, PM me with any other needs, I don't hang around these parts to often anymore.

borderline

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cool The Kid
$500 chinos... wow, now I have really seen it all.

The reason to not spend this much is: what happens when you get tomato sauce on the pants?

Originally Posted by Johdus Fanfoozal
Well there is a more modern way to do this than what my great-gramps did using a wash basin, limestone and 130 degree heat of the Jaipur sun.

Photos would be interesting...

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fabric is really expensive if you want it to be

The speed of the weaving has alot to do with strength and longevity of the cloth, good cloth is woven slowly and has multiple stages of finishing, cheap cloth does not.

AriGold

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LawrenceMD
the NYT article about $500 chino's really validates my love of finding $50 pants that fit great.

he'll i'll even splurge on $10-$15 on hemming if the pants are long.

but at the same time reading the article i understand why some $500 chinos are in fact $500... so if I ever buy $500 chinos i better be sure that they actually are worth it like the ones in the article, not just because it has label/patch.

also $500 chinos better fit, because well, they should.

The article just told you why $500 are never worth it. They all use cost plus pricing. An increase of $1 in production costs mean you pay an additional $5. That is the power of branding.

ppllzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the row looks alright. kinda like a cross between RL and RO, i think

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rye GB
The girl's know their stuff, use excellent fabrics and manufacturing facilities. My wife was their Design Director at Mary Kate & Ashley for 5+ years.

It's got rye's and fok's approva? That's it I'm MONSTERKOPPING now.

Lostinthesupermarket

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Razele
Fabric is really expensive if you want it to be The speed of the weaving has alot to do with strength and longevity of the cloth, good cloth is woven slowly and has multiple stages of finishing, cheap cloth does not.
I know that, but these figures still seem on the high side to me. For example Harris Tweed, which is hand loomed, can be procured for around $24 per yard and it's basic ingredients are more expensive than cotton gaberdine. Of course it is possible that the BoO guys may be using some super expensive dyeing procedure that the article doesn't mention....

niwawa

Reaction score
That's why we have to buy clothing at least at 70% off or more.

Ludeykrus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lostinthesupermarket
For example Harris Tweed, which is hand loomed, can be procured for around $24 per yard and it's basic ingredients are more expensive than cotton gaberdine.

I thought the quote on the fabric's pricing was a little high, as well. I've seen some relatively expensive fabric that's ordered custom, but seems like that company would have a big enough bulk order so it's not as much an issue.

Then again, I don't know ****.

Scoundrel

Reaction score
Great find. So the designer wholesales the garment to the store for double its cost. Store then multiplies wholesale price by 2.5. Got it. Always wondered how it worked.
smile.gif

Biggie_Robs

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Scoundrel
Great find.

So the designer wholesales the garment to the store for double its cost. Store then multiplies wholesale price by 2.5. Got it. Always wondered how it worked.
smile.gif

Indeed. If it ain't 60% off, (and you're not buying wholesale) then you're handing profit to the retailer.

If you are buying wholesale then you gotta get **** 50% off, or you're giving profit to the manufacturer.

If you want to pay what something cost to make, then it has to be 80% off.

These percentages/proportions are good to know.

DLester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Biggie_Robs
Indeed. If it ain't 60% off, (and you're not buying wholesale) then you're handing profit to the retailer.

If you are buying wholesale then you gotta get **** 50% off, or you're giving profit to the manufacturer.

If you want to pay what something cost to make, then it has to be 80% off.

These percentages/proportions are good to know.

okay but all those people have to make a profit now and then or no one will bother making decent clothes.

Listi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
EkHoU.jpg
I approve of this.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads