• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Painting Interior Rooms in Our House

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
We've been painting some rooms in our house and have learned a few things along the way. I don't know how helpful this is but we learned the following:

1. A good quality paint brush like the Purdy Chinex we used allows easier painting of straight lines than 3M painter's tape. It also requires some skill but the angled bristles really help.

2. If you must use painter's tape, get the more spendy "Frog Tape", loads better than 3M which itself is loads better than anything else.

3. Buy quality paint. On my brother's recommendation (he is a general contractor) we got Sherwin Williams Cashmere paint. It looks so much better than the Duron and Valspar we had before.

4. When choosing color paint a larger swatch of the color to test on the wall. We noticed small swaths of test paint don't always reflect and show the light coming into the room throughout the day.

5. Hire experts to do the difficult things like tall ceilings. We have really tall ceilings in our great room and you really need a scaffold to do that.

It is really turning out nice. Feels like a new house and the darker colors make it cozier.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I will agree to an extent that higher quality paint is better. If you're buying the cheap crap paint at wal-mart it's going to take more coats to evenly paint a surface, so I don't think you actually wind up saving any money in the long run.

But there's always a limit to this. I don't think it's necessary to spend much more than $25 a gallon on paint.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Valspar paint
lookaround.gif

My favorite paint has been Ralph Lauren, I know that sounds brand whorish but it actually is amazing. Of course, it is now discontinued. I will look at this Sherwin Williams cashmere.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
I will look at this Sherwin Williams cashmere.

What's the weight? 9 oz?

devil.gif

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
My favorite paint has been Ralph Lauren, I know that sounds brand whorish but it actually is amazing. Of course, it is now discontinued. I will look at this Sherwin Williams cashmere.

Very much agree! The island in our kitchen is done in a beautiful olive green by Ralph Lauren.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
frown.gif

We have very large rooms and we had a light color before which accentuated the vastness. Or were you sad about something else?
laugh.gif

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What color will the 'library' be?
confused.gif

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got a friend who works for Behr. He swears the RL stuff is utter shite.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
It is really turning out nice. Feels like a new house and the darker colors make every room more suitable for front projection.

ftfy
teacha.gif

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
ftfy
teacha.gif

worship.gif

You discovered my evil plan...convince the wife it is a "redecorating" while planning to sneakily improve the home theater aspects of our BluRay system.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
What are the dark colors?

Latte (looks like same), Penfield (?not sure but a nice shade of green), various shades of rich brown but we are still working on the final colors.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads