• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Having a cold sore is no fun

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's not even the pain that bothers me. So many people assume that if you have a cold sore that you have genitle herpes. This gives every conversation an awkward edge. Other than that, it's just gross to look at.

I mistook mine for a rash last night and didn't apply abreva and ice until it was already at it's peak when I woke up, so it's huge. Im letting my facial hair grow out for the duration of this just to distract from it, but it makes little difference in the end. My girlfriend never had cold sores, so we cant have any physical contact for a while, and I cant steal food off her plate or drink all of her beverage when she leaves the room.

So far I have been using abreva and ice. I read that the virus can't replicate at cold temperatures. I dont know if that's true or not, but at least it helps with the pain. For the first time, I popped the clusters so I could get the puss phase out of the way early on. It's too late to help this case, but I'm going to buy Lysine and do some reading on what the best Rx to get is, and keep the pills in my vanity, dopp kit, and glove box so I have easy access to them.

cjl2g

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i carry abreva everywhere i go. u never know when those F***ers are gonna hit.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
my dentist once applied some industrial grade topical ointment on a cold sore that worked so fast by evening it was gone... I can't remember what the name of the med was, but I do remember she charged so much for it.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidboy
errr....

My point is proven.
ffffuuuu.gif

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Never had one that I can remember, but I do have HSV-1 antibodies.

Nil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You people disgust me so much.

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reggs
It's not even the pain that bothers me. So many people assume that if you have a cold sore that you have genitle herpes. This gives every conversation an awkward edge. Other than that, it's just gross to look at.

I mistook mine for a rash last night and didn't apply abreva and ice until it was already at it's peak when I woke up, so it's huge. Im letting my facial hair grow out for the duration of this just to distract from it, but it makes little difference in the end. My girlfriend never had cold sores, so we cant have any physical contact for a while, and I cant steal food off her plate or drink all of her beverage when she leaves the room.

So far I have been using abreva and ice. I read that the virus can't replicate at cold temperatures. I dont know if that's true or not, but at least it helps with the pain. For the first time, I popped the clusters so I could get the puss phase out of the way early on. It's too late to help this case, but I'm going to buy Lysine and do some reading on what the best Rx to get is, and keep the pills in my vanity, dopp kit, and glove box so I have easy access to them.

What backward country are you living in?

rsatmans

Reaction score
My dentist always told me to use abreva and take lysine pills to prevent them. I get them when I work under high levels of stress.

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Way to have herpes, you dirty motherfuckers. I've never had one.

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
The doctor suspects I have herpes of the foot (WTF?). I'm supposed to see him the next time I have an outbreak. I'm pretty sure it's just poison ivy. It's all over my backyard.

Valor

Reaction score
Herpes, the gift that keeps on giving

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Valor
Herpes, the gift that keeps on giving

I first started getting them when I was around 2. I got it from my father. My mother never had them. My father got it from his father. This virus is turning into a family heirloom.

Hazad

Reaction score
If I nick myself while shaving (near my mouth), I get one 100% of the time. I have no idea how/why, but that is the only way I have ever gotten them. FWIW, I haven't used Abreva but I generally use Herpecin (lovely name) which tends to work within a day or two.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads