• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Eurotrip, Part Deux

leftover_salmon

Reaction score
Following up on my previous post...

So my friend and I have 10 days in Europe...looking like 5 days in Paris, 2 days in Brussels and 2-3 days in Amsterdam. Being college students, we're not swimming in piles of money, so I'm wondering if people have recommendations on where to eat and drink in those cities. We're both somewhat gourmands but are realistic about what we can afford.

Also, we plan on eating at one exceptional restaurant and are willing to shell out ~$250/pp (with a reasonable bottle of wine) to do so.

Recommendations are welcome (well that's the point of the thread).

Pennglock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
France- Gagnaire or Robuchon's places.

Belgium- Ahem, avoid at all costs.

Ams- Uhh, De Dampkring.

jcru

Reaction score
In Paris, Moissonnier @ 28 rue des Fosses-St.Bernard (near the Arab Institute) on the Left Bank is a well-priced & exceptional Lyonnaise restaurant; on the Right Bank, Le Petit Dakar @ 6 rue Elzevir (near the Musee Carnavalet) offers beautiful Senegalese food. I have found both to be affordable & memorable.

culture

Reaction score
Brussels is seriously a waste of time.

Amsterdam is allright unless youre looking for drugs & hookers then youre good.

Get a cheap EasyJet flight to Nice, Biarritz, Barcelona or Madrid, your time in any of those places will be so much more well spent than in Brussels.

scarphe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by culture
Brussels is seriously a waste of time.

Amsterdam is allright unless youre looking for drugs & hookers then youre good.

Get a cheap EasyJet flight to Nice, Biarritz, Barcelona or Madrid, your time in any of those places will be so much more well spent than in Brussels.

90% of the tourist go there for that, so there is a good possibility the op is headin their for that environment.

Jorran

Reaction score
Avoid Brussels. Hideous city. Berlin would probably be a better location.

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jorran
Avoid Brussels. Hideous city. Berlin would probably be a better location.
You've got to be kidding. Berlin is a post-communist concrete hellhole. Brussels' old city centre is nothing short of beautiful.

Honestly, I think people must just hate Belgians the way they rag on Brussels.

Valor

Reaction score
Went to Brussels last summer, had a good time at the city center. Also had a good time in Berlin too.

scarphe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by holymadness
You've got to be kidding. Berlin is a post-communist concrete hellhole. Brussels' old city centre is nothing short of beautiful.

well the hatred to belgium was started by penncock, who hates belgiums as much as lutherans hate the jews.

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Go to Brugge instead of Brussels. It's between Paris and Amsterdam, not out of the way like some of the other cities people are recommending. You are visiting two major cities. Brugge would be a nice change of pace, again unlike some of the other cities recommended. Plus, the few benefits you would get from Brusseles (beer, charming old buildings, etc.) you will still get in Brugge.

leftover_salmon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by culture
Given time constraints, I think flying to Madrid and Barcelona and spending 1-2 days there is a waste. If Brugge is really that nice, though, we can go there instead of Brussels. But I really do want to make a stop in Belgium and nobody is convincing me otherwise. So keep firing away. Also, the reason I'm posting here and not simply buying a guidebook is that I really want to avoid touristy stuff. With 5 days in Paris, I figure that's ample time to do touristy stuff -- see the Louvre, the sights, go to Versailles -- and then spend a couple days exploring the city and going where real Parisians go.

ErnestoG.

Reaction score
Brussels is terrible, avoid at all costs. brugges is very quaint, needs around 1 day.

berlin is great and far superior to brussels.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by holymadness

I know you like to be contrarian whenever possible, and I can appreciate a balanced discussion. But seriously.... Brussels over Berlin?
facepalm.gif

I'm certainly not a great Germanophile but Berlin has 100x more to offer than Brussels.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads