• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is it ok to wear a tuxedo to an evening wedding?

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bjan
+1, because how embarassing would it be if there were two of you wearing the same thing?

laugh.gif

rajesh06

Reaction score
I guess it's just me - but I don't see a big leap between a dark "formal" wedding suit and a tuxedo. Sort of a quarter step difference as compared to the full step between an SC/slacks to Suit.

lemmywinks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rajesh06
I guess it's just me - but I don't see a big leap between a dark "formal" wedding suit and a tuxedo. Sort of a quarter step difference as compared to the full step between an SC/slacks to Suit.

If you wear a Tuxedo you're probably gonna be wearing like a bow tie and a bleached white shirt which is just way too formal. Wearing a navy suit or charcoal suit with like a soft colored shirt and a tie is very different.

Anyway what everyone else said. Unless it says black tie or the folks getting married to you to I wouldn't do it. If you're good friends with either of them maybe a suit (You should be ready to take that suit jacket off for most of the wedding) but yea. Basically what everyone else said. Just wear like a nice plain shirt and a not too flashy tie and your favorite pants and you should be fine.

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Only if your in the wedding party if not just go with a nice suit and tie. The only tiem guest are to wear a tux is if the invatation says so.

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quick and easy rules:
  • Do you know the bride better than the groom? If so, then ask the bride if she'd prefer you wear a tuxedo or a navy/grey suit.
  • Do you know the groom better than the bride? If so, then ask the bride if she'd prefer you wear a tuxedo or a navy/grey suit.
  • Do you know the bride and groom equally well? If so, then ask the bride if she'd prefer you wear a tuxedo or a navy/grey suit.
  • If you're not comfortable asking the bride this question, don't attend their wedding. Just send a gift.

rickblaine

Reaction score
I have a similar problem. I am attending a wedding next weekend where the dress-code is "dress festively". To me a suit is not festive since I wear it to work everyday and my definition of the word would probably be at least black tie. However, I have come to know that the groom is going to wear a light-grey suit. So what do I do? Can I still wear a dark navy suit with a bit of formality or should I go light-grey flannel alternative royal blue linnen?

theyare

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rickblaine
I have a similar problem. I am attending a wedding next weekend where the dress-code is "dress festively". To me a suit is not festive since I wear it to work everyday and my definition of the word would probably be at least black tie. However, I have come to know that the groom is going to wear a light-grey suit. So what do I do? Can I still wear a dark navy suit with a bit of formality or should I go light-grey flannel alternative royal blue linnen?

I would take that to mean a bit more casual & fun then a suit. Go for less conservative sportscoat/ slacks / tie

erpet

Reaction score

Only if your in the wedding party if not just go with a nice suit and tie. The only tiem guest are to wear a tux is if the invatation says so.

All right, so when the invitation to an afternoon wedding in the U.S. does not specify any dresscode, wearing a navy suit would be an appropriate thing to do for me as a guest? I'm double checking since where I live (Sweden), an invitation without a specified dresscode means formal wear.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The best advice is to ask, if possible. There is a good chance that the bride and groom will appreciate people being dressed formally and will tell you so. Or they will tell you not to.
On the other hand, I disagree with the advice that you can never wear black tie if the invitation doesn't specify it. I have been to many weddings where some of the guests were in black tie even though the invitation said nothing. They looked fine and not at all out of place - it was an evening wedding, which is by definition fairly formal. Unless you know the wedding is of the aggressively informal type, then while suits are the norm,d black-tie might be unusual but still perfectly within the dress code. On the other hand, except when I have checked beforehand, I have never worn black tie when the invitation didn't specify it.

Last edited:

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score

All right, so when the invitation to an afternoon wedding in the U.S. does not specify any dresscode, wearing a navy suit would be an appropriate thing to do for me as a guest? I'm double checking since where I live (Sweden), an invitation without a specified dresscode means formal wear.

I always wear a suit to weddings. You can't go wrong. If it's on the beach, I'll wear a tan cotton or seersucker.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Is it ok to wear a tuxedo to an evening wedding as a guest?

I'm not sure what the wedding party will be wearing but they won't be wearing casual wear.

Not really but is does not stop many. A suit is quite sufficient.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Not really but is does not stop many. A suit is quite sufficient.

OP posted that question 2 yrs ago. Wedding may have happened...:eh:

Last edited:

kungapa

Reaction score
Back in the old country, I was always under the impression that it is improper for the hosts to outdress the guests. If the hosts specify black tie, and then show up in white tie themselves it is poor form. Same thing with the tuxedo/suit debacle - the wedding party should dress a "level up" to distinguish themselves, as that is rather garish. Then again, we also don't have matching ties and pocketsquares for the groom and groomsmen.

kungapa

Reaction score

OP posted that question 2 yrs ago. Wedding may have happened...:eh:

Well, erpet did the proper thing and resurrected an old thread rather than start a new one for an already discussed topic. Bra jobbat, erpet!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads