• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Running everyday and weight lifting?

narcissus

Reaction score
I took a summer and experimented with working out 6 days a week. I had an easy job with few hours, so I ran about 3 miles a day, then either shadowboxed or went to the gym to lift weights. Called Sunday a day of rest.

My brother came to visit me toward the end of the summer and was shocked at how much bigger I looked. To be fair, I was a skinny mofo beforehand and hadn't worked out seriously for a while, and I'm a hardgainer. I probably put on about 15 pounds and gained a good bit of definition since he last saw me.

Plus, I also had an awesome meal plan that allowed me to get really healthy food...I practically lived on turkey and cottage cheese that summer. Topping that off with a protein shake after every workout helped a lot.

That was a few years ago...I've since lost the muscle I put on, since I haven't been working out or eating enough. But I'm going to hit the trails again tomorrow and start bulking up to get it back...going to Europe in a couple of months and I want to look good for the beach.

jarude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
This is completely idiotic.
no u The guy is saying that you can't lift and run hard and get optimal results from both. He didn't say don't do cardio - he said don't run. He rightfully pointed out that running causes a lot of impact on the joints and CNS stress which will be detrimental to optimal weight training results. Also evident in the article is the distinction between bodybuilders and guys that lift weights, inferring that average joes can run and lift weights with some degree of success, while people seriously involved in either discipline will not. I eagerly await your next contribution-less threadshit!!!
revolve.gif

db_ggmm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not going to have time to write up a complete thought process, but I feel the issue is definitely complicated by the extreme differences between individuals.

Running as a warm up before squatting is likely ok until it's not ok. There probably isn't any other way to say it. Warming up before squatting is appropriate. Warming up until your 5RM decreases is probably self defeating. It doesn't matter how you are warming up, but if you do it to mild fatigue, you are going too far.

A tiny dude like myself who trivially jogs 3 miles can probably get away with a 10 minute jogging warm up. In fact, my body temp might not even sufficiently rise (if you go with the idea that a warm up should give you a bead of sweat). A big guy who's goal is to lose fat might get pretty hot over those 10 minutes and experience a significant 5RM decrease.

But when a thread like this comes along, we want it black and white. Running is either GREAT or AWFUL for an undefined goal and an undefined physique and an undefined fitness level? The answer doesn't exist.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jarude
no u

The guy is saying that you can't lift and run hard and get optimal results from both. He didn't say don't do cardio - he said don't run. He rightfully pointed out that running causes a lot of impact on the joints and CNS stress which will be detrimental to optimal weight training results.

And his reasons were completely idiotic and -- most importantly -- incorrect. The part about eccentric movements during aerobics is particularly moronic (aerobic exercise is by its nature mostly concentric movements since the resistance is being moved in one direction).

Yes, in the most absolute binary thought processes of black-white, bulk-cut, and cortisol-testosterone running can hinder weight lifting. But since that's not how the body works it doesn't really matter. I'm not going to write a textbook to show why that guy is an idiot when the only thing he could be bothered with is a few paragraphs about "short-circuiting the growth process" (whatever that means) and some kind of direct messaging "the body" (of course there are no individual systems involved in this unified body) receives based on how the joints happen to be moving. If he did enough research to actually write his own textbook, he'd probably realize what he said was abjectly stupid.

darkdream

Reaction score
Since most muscle growth occurs when we sleep, does that mean if someone does a lot of cardio in the morning/afternoon to burn off excess calories, but eats enough proteins & whatever for the rest of the time, would that be the most efficient way to keep both in one's routine?

Rokkenbole

Reaction score
Do both. Focus on strenght, not the size of your muscles. Remember to eat, drink, sleep, work and buy clothes. But focus on strenght! It´s that easy. No bodybuilders ever look good in a pair of JL
cool.gif

greg_atlanta

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrNick
Also I love to run, nothing feels better than going 5 or 6 miles.

If running that much feels great, you're probably naturally skinny and destined to stay that way.

Are people skinny because they run? Or do they run because they're skinny (and it's easy for them)? I think the latter.

Mr Herbert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
change the type of running

i do olympic lifting and sprinting up to 400m. is ok as long as i get enough food, sleep and the occasional rubdown.

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by greg_atlanta
If running that much feels great, you're probably naturally skinny and destined to stay that way.

Are people skinny because they run? Or do they run because they're skinny (and it's easy for them)? I think the latter.

Is this a backhanded attempted justification to stay plump? Not sure entirely sure what you're implying.

jarude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by greg_atlanta
If running that much feels great, you're probably naturally skinny and destined to stay that way. Are people skinny because they run? Or do they run because they're skinny (and it's easy for them)? I think the latter.
People run because its the idiots guide to fitness. Not to hate on running for any reason, but people who have no idea what the hell theyre doing will attempt to "get in shape" by doing a ****** jog for 30 mins a few times a week. Better than nothing, I suppose. That, or they enjoy pain. **** running it hurts
ffffuuuu.gif

Rikkar501

Reaction score
People run because its the idiots guide to fitness. Not to hate on running for any reason, but people who have no idea what the hell theyre doing will attempt to "get in shape" by doing a ****** jog for 30 mins a few times a week. Better than nothing, I suppose. That, or they enjoy pain. **** running it hurts
ffffuuuu.gif

Exactly, the first thing anyone does when trying to lose weight is run. They think "gotta burn calories" and jump on the treadmill. If you are serious about gaining muscle mass, consider sprints. Not only is it great lower body exercise, it raises metabolism in a short amount of time without significant CNS fatigue. Just look at the body composition of competitive sprinters: very lean and muscular. Compare that to the body composition of most runners; huge difference.

Krome Ink

Reaction score
I have been running 4 miles on a hill program on the treadmill at the gym before doing one hour of weights. I have been doing this 6 times per week for the past 3 months. Over the past week I have 'tried' to go to the gym 3 times and only managed to do a work out once although not the same as I have been doing. The other two times within 3 minutes on the treadmill I had to stop and leave due to being so tired I virtually couldnt stand.

Some people have suggested that I have 'hit the wall' and need to slow down for a while or just stop the cardio (treadmill) for a while

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
no u

The guy is saying that you can't lift and run hard and get optimal results from both. He didn't say don't do cardio - he said don't run. He rightfully pointed out that running causes a lot of impact on the joints and CNS stress which will be detrimental to optimal weight training results.

Also evident in the article is the distinction between bodybuilders and guys that lift weights, inferring that average joes can run and lift weights with some degree of success, while people seriously involved in either discipline will not.

I eagerly await your next contribution-less threadshit!!!
revolve.gif

Dude, you're a moron, and a defensive one at that. You're hiding behind wiggle words like "optimal weight training results", which wasnt' the question.

And aside from the fact that "inferring" doesn't mean what you think it means, recognizing a distinction between hard-core bodybuilders who obsessively pursue "optimal weight training results" and normal people who lift weights, get stronger, and gain muscle does not necessarily lead to the conclusion that one can't be "seriously involved in", or must suck at, both.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads