• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Wine Thread

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
ah, yes. Also, warm weather. I could be totally wrong on this, but warmer Cali weather produces grapes with a higher sugar content. Perhaps this leads to the brighter, juicier wines?

While I could go on and on about Piedmont, Manton is much better suited to comment on Cali vs. Bordeaux since my Cali knowledge is pretty limited. I am much better at comparing within Bordeaux, something like a St. Estephe vs. a Margaux vs. St. Emillion.

Also, how long was your decant? I try for a few hours usually.

PandArts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Been a long and crazy week, which ended with a promotion at my regular job that came with a substantial salary increase! Thus I'm forced to cut back my Grapes time to Saturday's (can't give it up entirely...I just love working around wine too much)! But my boss at the Grapes was vey happy for me and happy that I still wanted to continue to work there so he gave me a bottle of this to celebrate with!

1999, Vranken, Diamant Bleu

vranken_diamant-bleu_1999_01.jpg

vranken_diamant-bleu_1999_02.jpg

vranken_diamant-bleu_1999_03.jpg

I also cracked open the Erna Schein Spare Me cab but I'm still working on the notes.

tricota

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
No, literally the time the grape can hang on the vine. Growing seaons are much longer in the New World (of course) and I believe this leads to a distinctly different tasting grape vs. Old World.

I get the feeling that wine is a true science, and I have felt that way since I saw Bottle Shock. Though that movie also tought me, that you dont have to look for the traditional grapes, to get an awesome wine, and that someday I want to have the perfect vacation in the california wine country......

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Congrats PandArts. Sideways was a great movie but made the entry level pinots much more expensive then they probably should be
ffffuuuu.gif
. Of course there are exceptions, but a good value driven pinot is few and far between.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gomestar
For $30 and under I usually stick with Valpolicella Ripasso. For Amarone, I personally would look for $50+

Pricey, but when it's good, it's really good.

As always- excellent advice- and that particular wine is nice.

This one is also very nice: http://www.klwines.com/detail.asp?sku=1037614

And this isn't about being snobby/preferring top dollar wines. Given how Amarone is produced and the resulting low volume per acre, it's usually pricey.

Ricardo Malocchio

Reaction score
IMO no wine movie compares to Sideways.
A doc rather than a fiction... but "Mondovino" for me.

And I mean the whole damn 10-part series, not the severely truncated theatrical release. Available at Netflix, but you'll want to own if only to revisit the episodes with the sublime and fierce Alix de Montille. She would be mine (or rather I'd be her's)... if only I'd been born in Volnay.

A head's up for Boston Winos: tasting TONIGHT at Federal Wine and Spirits (yes, a rare Thurs tasting) featuring Paolo Bianchini of Ciacci Piccolomini d'Aragona and his merry band of amazing Brunellos. Specifically, the 04 BdM Pianrosso Riserva, BdM Pianrosso, BdM normale, 02 BdM (yes, 02 - I had a memorable 02 from Col d'Orcia, so don't write this vintage off totally), 06 Rosso di Montalcino, 07 Montecucco Sangiovese, 07 Rosso Toscana (IGT). Only 30 more minutes....

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ricardo Malocchio
A doc rather than a fiction... but "Mondovino" for me.

And I mean the whole damn 10-part series, not the severely truncated theatrical release. Available at Netflix, but you'll want to own if only to revisit the episodes with the sublime and fierce Alix de Montille. She would be mine (or rather I'd be her's)... if only I'd been born in Volnay.

A head's up for Boston Winos: tasting TONIGHT at Federal Wine and Spirits (yes, a rare Thurs tasting) featuring Paolo Bianchini of Ciacci Piccolomini d'Aragona and his merry band of amazing Brunellos. Specifically, the 04 BdM Pianrosso Riserva, BdM Pianrosso, BdM normale, 02 BdM (yes, 02 - I had a memorable 02 from Col d'Orcia, so don't write this vintage off totally), 06 Rosso di Montalcino, 07 Montecucco Sangiovese, 07 Rosso Toscana (IGT). Only 30 more minutes....

Wow-- drool.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

Also, how long was your decant? I try for a few hours usually.

Gome, not that long. About 45 mins. I guess I'll decant earlier next time. For $17 though? Very happy.

P&A, major score x 2! Congrats on both the job and the wine!

I like the Jancis Robbins series. It is interesting to see her interact with the wine makers in various parts of the world. The French highlighted certainly do not think much of US wines. One refused to even spit the wine inside his barn.

Ricardo Malocchio

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
I like the Jancis Robbins series. It is interesting to see her interact with the wine makers in various parts of the world. The French highlighted certainly do not think much of US wines. One refused to even spit the wine inside his barn.
Never heard of this one! Do you happent to recall the name of the series and whether it's available at Netflix?

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Kermit Lynch is on WLTV
The second part was great. Gary calmed down a bit, and it became more interesting. Now you guys know what I mean when I say that Lynch's wines always have a very particular point of view.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ricardo Malocchio
Never heard of this one! Do you happent to recall the name of the series and whether it's available at Netflix?

http://www.netflix.com/Movie/Underst...0&trkid=222336

http://www.netflix.com/Movie/Jancis_...0&trkid=222336

Originally Posted by iammatt
The second part was great. Gary calmed down a bit, and it became more interesting. Now you guys know what I mean when I say that Lynch's wines always have a very particular point of view.

I will watch that episode this weekend. Sounds like a "must see."

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads