• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NBA 2009-2010 Season Thread

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
beasley is crap, wade needs a dominant big, not chris bosh.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
beasley is crap, wade needs a dominant big, not chris bosh.

There really isn't a dominant big man in the market next season outside of Bosh and Amare and really Amare is too soft to be dominant. I'd take David Lee over him any day.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
amare is a bigger liability on d than lee. at least david lee tries.

fairholme_wannabe

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RFX45
You made great points but I think Wade with one additional AllStar will do. Look at MJ with Pippen, they took a team consisting of Kukoc and Longley, literally no legit center in their championship run. Now of course they have MJ, but Wade still has more talent in Beasley (I think he can be an Odom type of players except I think his brain is the size of JR Smiths) and the developing Chalmers. Now if they get a legit center, I don't think there has been a champion that doesn't have a legit center ever since the Bulls era (the worst center was probably Piston with the 2 Wallaces but even those 2 were a beast that year and did have 5 all stars), then they'd be a good contender in a very weak Eastern Conference.

With all the players that Miami can drop and sign, I am sure they can pick up 2-3 role players along with someone like Lee or Bosh.

Not to be a contrarian, but I think you might underestimate how dominate Ben Wallace was defensively during that run. Not only did he impose himself in a statistical sense during that '04 championship (well over 3 bpg, 12 rpg) but he allowed the Piston backcourt to play really aggressive D on the perimeter, in that they knew that Ben anchored the paint in a Russell-esque way (even if he didn't block every shot, you just about thought he would).

It's probably considered blasphemy on this Laker's board, but frankly, last year's backcourt of Pau/Bynum (given their respective 08/09 production) was probably weaker than the '04 Wallaces, as too was the 07/08 KG & Perkins combo. If we're just talking centers (and not frontcourt), I'd think Wallace at worst, third worst center of the aughts champions: '04 Wallace > '08 Bynum > '07 Perkins.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i love the way utah plays basketball--old-fashioned values ... team play, great energy and hustel, crisp passing, smart reads, help defense. as mentioned before, i don't feel the same way about denver. not at all. no sir.

fairholme_wannabe

Reaction score
Originally Posted by foodguy
i love the way utah plays basketball--old-fashioned values ... team play, great energy and hustel, crisp passing, smart reads, help defense. as mentioned before, i don't feel the same way about denver. not at all. no sir.

I concur--Deron Williams is really something special.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fairholme_wannabe
Not to be a contrarian, but I think you might underestimate how dominate Ben Wallace was defensively during that run. Not only did he impose himself in a statistical sense during that '04 championship (well over 3 bpg, 12 rpg) but he allowed the Piston backcourt to play really aggressive D on the perimeter, in that they knew that Ben anchored the paint in a Russell-esque way (even if he didn't block every shot, you just about thought he would).

It's probably considered blasphemy on this Laker's board, but frankly, last year's backcourt of Pau/Bynum (given their respective 08/09 production) was probably weaker than the '04 Wallaces, as too was the 07/08 KG & Perkins combo. If we're just talking centers (and not frontcourt), I'd think Wallace at worst, third worst center of the aughts champions: '04 Wallace > '08 Bynum > '07 Perkins.

True but speaking in terms of a championship team, that year (or was it a year after?) the Pistons had 4 starters as an All-Star so the team was elevated more and I can't say Wallace was a dominant center. Great defensive wall but not dominant. With that said, you reminded me that Perkins also wasn't a dominant center but KG did anchor that team so I guess I could say that is still a strong center force compared to Longley and Wennington the championship Bulls had. Horace Grant the only legitimate big man I could think of with the Bulls Championship era and he was more of a PF than anything.

As for the Lakers, considering how injured Bynum was last year, it solidified it more how good Pau was as a center. I do not really see Pau as a PF though, I see him more of a center since bynum is out a lot. Pau has also mainly played as a center and in that regards, I'd rank him over Ben Wallace and Perkins.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by foodguy

Denver is imploding without their head coach. He tweeted this after the Game 4 loss.
303b8k7.jpg

But then again he is an idiot.
lol8[1].gif

He was taking a shot at Melo when he himself hasn't seen a 35 foot jumper he didn't like.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
actually, i've been really impressed with anthony this year. he actually seems to be trying most of the time. i'm wondering whether it was that olympic experience with kobe ... he has said that changed the way he thought about the game.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As for the Lakers, considering how injured Bynum was last year, it solidified it more how good Pau was as a center. I do not really see Pau as a PF though, I see him more of a center since bynum is out a lot. Pau has also mainly played as a center and in that regards, I'd rank him over Ben Wallace and Perkins.

you know what's funny? ive been thinking of gasol as more of 3 than a 4 or even a 5 ... think about it: he's got that nice set shot and he turns to the basket really well. but he's not so much on trench warfare. i like the (offensive) lineup with bynum at 5, artest at spiritual 4, and gasol at 3. of course with teh triangle, things don't break down so cleanly ... and last game was a perfect example with artest going to low post most often and gasol going to high.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I like the line-up with Bynum too but Pau just has more of a post move than Bynum and thats why I consider more of a center, a la Yao with his decent jump shot. But I agree that the last game was their most dominant because they actually attacked the post.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
8 points. 8.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
*gloats*

Wonder what Cuban's budget is for fines.

Is it 1 or 2 series before Da Laydeez? If they make it.

Dallas is a better team than LA.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
I like the line-up with Bynum too but Pau just has more of a post move than Bynum and thats why I consider more of a center, a la Yao with his decent jump shot. But I agree that the last game was their most dominant because they actually attacked the post.

Bynum is the Chipper Jones of the NBA.
devil.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics