• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Good Android Apps

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
My phone should be here tomorrow. What should I put on it? So far, I think I'm getting: Layar FourSquare Swype Urbanspoon ATK Google Earth Looking for recs on browser (Dolphin? Opera?) + Other cool ****. Fire away.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It shouldn't be difficult to find blogs/sites with recommended applications. I wouldn't think so anyway. There are always a ton of those with "best" or "top" lists. Then again, I often find a lot of those to be games.

How about EverNote? I'm sure they have an app but I'm too lazy to check.

Is GPS included by default? If not, one of those.

Also, not sure about the Google apps like Voice, Search, etc., but those would probably be some of the first ones I'd try.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jumbie
It shouldn't be difficult to find blogs/sites with recommended applications. I wouldn't think so anyway. There are always a ton of those with "best" or "top" lists. Then again, I often find a lot of those to be games.

Yeah, I've read a lot of those. Kinda hard to tell what's what though. I could tell you the top ten best movies of all time, but that doesn't mean I've seen all the movies ever made, or that you'd agree with me.

How about EverNote? I'm sure they have an app but I'm too lazy to check.
What does it do?

Is GPS included by default? If not, one of those.

Also, not sure about the Google apps like Voice, Search, etc., but those would probably be some of the first ones I'd try.
I'm pretty sure those are already on my phone. But if not, I'll add them for sure.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Most of the apps I've installed: ConnectBot is a good Telnet if you need it. TwoTouch timer is really nice for cooking etc. Can't remember if I have an aftermarket Barcode scanner app, but I might. Yelp app is nice to have. MotoTorch turns on the flash LEDs (or strobes them etc) which can be handy if you need to use your phone as a light. Not sure if it is Droid-only. Add a shortcut to this URL on your desktop, comes in very handy:
imgphps5dhttp3a2f2fimag.png
Weather channel app. PDANet allows limited tethering which comes in handy sometimes. Adblock proxy. Astro file manager 3banana Notes Amazon, ebay apps. Compass Google Goggles Hotblox for boredom "Go Home" app allows you to quickly navigate to a preset destination (e.g. home) GPS Speedo Compass Snesoid Lite (SNES emu) TasKiller Wifi Analyzer

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
J really likes Compass.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
What does it do?
I basically use the iPhone version to sync notes on the go but you can do much more with it, audio, pdfs, etc.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags. It's a pity that Dropbox doesn't have an Android app. Hopefully they will soon. God I love Dropbox!!!!

appolyon

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Firstly, get yourself on appbrain and install their app. This will allow you to search for apps online and then install them later on your phone.

Quick settings is a must for easy access to all commonly used settings.

App Aware tells you what those around you are installing/uninstalling. Good for discovering new apps.

Shazam for finding out what that track is that is currently playing.

Task Manager good to help with killing apps and automatically killing them in the background (have read reports though that this isn't really necessary-but I find it does no harm)

Unit converter

Currency converter

Calvin and Hobbes!

DGAway pops up with a little screen of auto text options after you reject a call

Handcent SMS must have sms application

SMS Backup backs up your SMSs to your Gmail account

Substrate Live Wallpapers not sure if your device is capable, but this collection of live wallpapers is pretty cool

WaveSecure Mobile Security as their site says "Remotely locate your phone, track SIM, lock, backup, wipe & restore data"

and

Shake Uninstall I am constantly installing things to check them out, with this if you fire up the app and it sucks just shake the phone and an automatic uninstall options comes up.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These are the apps I use on a daily basis:

Advanced Task Killer
AK Notepad
Astro
Documents To Go
Dolphin
Google Translate
Kayak
My Tracks
NewsRob
OpenTable
PdaNet
Photoshop Mobile
Seesmic
Google Shopper
Yelp

zatarregaza

Reaction score
Power Manager and Missed Call. These phones should've come with these apps pre-installed. They make everyday use of the phone so much easier.

EnglishGent

Reaction score
Any Android users have any experience with yxflash? Supposed to enable playing of flash files and various other formats. downloaded it today but haven't had a chance to try it.

ArliHawk`

Reaction score
USA Today and Weather Channel apps are solid. There's also a Bloomberg app if you are interested in finance.

kakemono

Reaction score
Sleep Cycle
Lay it on its face on your mattress and it uses the accelerometer to measure your movements in bed. You set an alarm clock for 7am and any time it senses movement between 6:30 and 7, it will wake you up in an attempt to not wake you during deep sleep.

Lose It
App for recording what you eat. Lets you build foods and save them. Large database

Wordpress
Very simple to blog with

Runkeeper
Uses the GPS to record your movement. Shows your path, speed, elevation. Share on the web.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Anycut ( Allows you to put shortcuts on the start screens for your other apps. )

Flashlight ( there are many )

Photobucket ( if you use it )

Settings ( not an app, but use Anycut to put it on your start page making it convenient )

Voice Dialer ( the free one is is pretty good )

Live Score ( for sports scores )

And these are on my POS G1. I'm holding off on a Nexus because Sprint is soon coming out with that HTC EVO.

Let us know how you like the Nexus

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
recognizer. hold it up to strangers and find them out via their social presence on fb, twitter, etc

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads