• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

djh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sellran
Thanks for the WinPerry suggestion. My only concern is that the WinPerry's are described as "walnut brown" and the Leathersoul version is described as "cognac." The Leathersoul version also looks a little lighter in color. I was looking for something like the whiskey cordovan's but in calf and the Leathersoul's are the closest I've ever seen.

Winn Perry's is a double oiled leather sole, whereas the LS one is a single oiled leather sole. Another option is the J.Crew one, which is on a double non-oiled leather sole.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

THESE ARE AMAZING SHOES, BUT I'VE BEEN TRYING LIKE CRAZY TO FIND A PAIR OF LONGWINGS LIKE LEATHER SOUL SOLD LAST YEAR

THEY WERE DESCRIBED AS FOLLOWS: "Our newest Leather Soul Exclusive is the Alden flex welt, soft cognac calf longwing. Buttery soft tumbled lady calf coupled with Alden's flex welt construction and oiled leather sole make this longwing the most comfortable American classic you'll ever own."

ANYONE KNOW WHERE I CAN GET ANYTHING LIKE THIS? (LEATHER SOUL IS OUT OF THEM).

If you're looking for the flex welt, I don't really know anything else out there.
Otherwise if you don't mind the double sole, get the whiskey longwings (I think Shoe Mart has some).
The J Crew ones aren't bad either if shell is too pricey..

Leather Soul
longwings.jpg

Whiskey from Epaulet.
image005t.jpg

For color reference, l to r: whiskey, ravello, walnut calf, cigar, and C&J for Polo brown.
The Cognac is really close to the walnut color.
image006wd.jpg

sellran

Reaction score
zippyh;3182414 said:
If you're looking for the flex welt, I don't really know anything else out there.
Otherwise if you don't mind the double sole, get the whiskey longwings (I think Shoe Mart has some).

Leather Soul
longwings.jpg

Flex welt single leather sole, light color, it was just everything I wanted. And I'm one of those people that prefers calf to cordovan (which we're not supposed to admit here). Oh well, perhaps someone will make this up. I only hope that I find out about it!

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ahab
+1, the Winn Perry shoe is supposed to be really nice. I like it. I think it is different from the Leather Soul shoe. If not I am sure Tom will redo that shoe. It gets a lot of positive mentions.

I think there will always be slight variations in colors because leather is in and of itself a flawed medium. Not all leather is the same.

Also I think the the color of stitching and soul edges as well as lighting will make shoes look different from pic to pic. Even the pics I posted tonight had the same shoes looking different because of clouds or some sh*t. The best you can do is to see them in person. Otherwise it is a crap shoot.

Thanks for the WinPerry suggestion. My only concern is that the WinPerry's are described as "walnut brown" and the Leathersoul version is described as "cognac." The Leathersoul version also looks a little lighter in color. I was looking for something like the whiskey cordovan's but in calf and the Leathersoul's are the closest I've ever seen.

Originally Posted by djh
Winn Perry's is a double oiled leather sole, whereas the LS one is a single oiled leather sole. Another option is the J.Crew one, which is on a double non-oiled leather sole.

If you are looking for something closer to the cognac color, I'd go with the J Crew longwing (they call it "tobacco") over the WP. I just got the WP yesterday, and they are a great shoe, very substantial, and a beautiful rich walnut brown color. In other words, if you are looking for a lighter brown, you won't like these. I have both the J Crew LW in tobacco and the WP, and there are enough differences between them that if you have a serious shoe compulsion, you can easily justify getting both... Honest...
patch[1].gif

Here's a rather crappy Blackberry pic of the Winn Perry's I took just now:

ald.jpg

mechanical pencil

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RFX45
Sorry if it has been asked but does anybody know the last on the 40721C?
1P_40721C.jpg

Turns out it's on the Hampton last. Shoemart told me Barrie.

Really nice but back they go....

interlockingny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gnatty8
If you are looking for something closer to the cognac color, I'd go with the J Crew longwing (they call it "tobacco") over the WP. I just got the WP yesterday, and they are a great shoe, very substantial, and a beautiful rich walnut brown color. In other words, if you are looking for a lighter brown, you won't like these. I have both the J Crew LW in tobacco and the WP, and there are enough differences between them that if you have a serious shoe compulsion, you can easily justify getting both... Honest...
patch[1].gif

Here's a rather crappy Blackberry pic of the Winn Perry's I took just now:

ald.jpg

Pretty nice. What are your thoughts of the double waterloc sole?

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jasonfoote303
NICE! that's a helluva collection right thurr.

For Zippy, thats not even scratching the surface.

Originally Posted by mechanical pencil
Turns out it's on the Hampton last. Shoemart told me Barrie.

Really nice but back they go....

Thanks for the info, I guess I'll be passing on it too.

Also, just a heads up, tan suede longwing available at WinnPerry.
alden-tan-suede-longwing.jpg

LeatherSOUL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Flex welt single leather sole, light color, it was just everything I wanted. And I'm one of those people that prefers calf to cordovan (which we're not supposed to admit here). Oh well, perhaps someone will make this up. I only hope that I find out about it!

OK, sounds like you really want these shoes pretty bad. If you don't mind waiting and are willing to place an order, i will reorder a batch of these shoes just for you. Just send me an email if you're interested.

JOA

Reaction score
My Roy boots are shipping tomorrow from Context...

finally!

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zippyh

Leather Soul
longwings.jpg

Whiskey from Epaulet.
image005t.jpg

For color reference, l to r: whiskey, ravello, walnut calf, cigar, and C&J for Polo brown.
The Cognac is really close to the walnut color.
image006wd.jpg

very nice shoes

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
e0ifjp.jpg

ravello medallion tip

Dexter_

Reaction score
Zippy, seeing this pic again changed my mind about whiskey. I think its becoming my favorite. Just need to get the timing right since its sooo rare.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads