• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should You Marry Someone Your Age or Someone Much Younger?

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pennglock
I find it hard to imagine there are many women with anything to offer that make it much past 30 without marrying. Of course there must be exceptions, but one of the safest assumptions a guy can make is that there is something glaringly wrong with single women over 30...

/end thread

Same would apply to single men over 30? Or maybe relationship end so people are sometimes single before and after 30...

Pennglock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No it doesn't apply to men at all. Our stock keeps rising after 30.

TheDarkKnight

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is an interesting thread, as I've consistently dated girls a lot yoinger than me, as I've got older.

I'm 33 and my last GF was 21. My Gf before that was 24 when I was 30, and the Gf before that was 20 when I was 28.

The age gap does present problems though - they have no money, it can feel socially unacceptable when you're at a company dinner, and the Directors are 50 and their wives are 50 :O

I think 26 or 27 is more appropriate for my age perhaps, as it would also mean they have a better job
biggrin.gif

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
Same would apply to single men over 30? Or maybe relationship end so people are sometimes single before and after 30...

Every time I come into a thread such as this I'm amazed by the immaturity and misogyny displayed by some.

I should be used to it by now.

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I find it hard to imagine there are many women with anything to offer that make it much past 30 without marrying. Of course there must be exceptions, but one of the safest assumptions a guy can make is that there is something glaringly wrong with single women over 30...

/end thread

a lot of female colleges of mine are single and in their 30's and even 40's. most of the time they just worked too hard and they never got married. a lot of the time these women doctors are very pretty/in shape/super educated/rich so its a "too much of a good thing syndrome" (where they are oogled at but ironically avoided) and end up just marrying younger residents and interns.

essentially they are in dominant male/masculine positions where they have the pick of the younger male litter.... but almost always have to be the pursuer.

i'm always under the assumption that ALL women have a scary crazy streak in them that can only be truly released during a relationship. so yes any woman above 30 who hasn't been married carries the burden of elevated risk of being batshit crazy beyond repair.

Nereis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I live where the age of consent is 16. I am a happy man.

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No it doesn't apply to men at all. Our stock keeps rising after 30.
Well and moreover I don't think it's fair to say men shouldn't be able to date girls 8+ years younger than them... when every trait of our culture seems to promote that. A lot of us guys were stuck through grad school and demanding careers, and were essentially ignored as just a worthless, poor, young males for the first 10 years of our adult life. Now we got a career and some money, and all of a sudden we're 'attractive' in the eyes of many younger women. Right about this same time, women are getting older and less attractive and losing the power they had when they were young. Seems like a fair exchange to me.

Originally Posted by LawrenceMD
a lot of female colleges of mine are single and in their 30's and even 40's. most of the time they just worked too hard and they never got married. a lot of the time these women doctors are very pretty/in shape/super educated/rich so its a "too much of a good thing syndrome" (where they are oogled at but ironically avoided) and end up just marrying younger residents and interns.

essentially they are in dominant male/masculine positions where they have the pick of the younger male litter.... but almost always have to be the pursuer.

i'm always under the assumption that ALL women have a scary crazy streak in them that can only be truly released during a relationship. so yes any woman above 30 who hasn't been married carries the burden of elevated risk of being batshit crazy beyond repair.

interesting, this is sort of the flip side of what I was saying above.

Another thing happening here is that women probably try a lot harder to keep bad relationships going even if they shouldn't, which carries a lot of those women into their 30's with their 'boyfriend', only to break up and be single.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CDFS
Every time I come into a thread such as this I'm amazed by the immaturity and misogyny displayed by some.

I should be used to it by now.

Well we do have a lot of professional thirty something single men who keep telling themselves that someday young hotties will like them. With women getting diplomas and getting more and more independant those uncool losers will keep on masturbating while dreaming of what they can never get.

nicad2000

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
Well we do have a lot of professional thirty something single men who keep telling themselves that someday young hotties will like them. With women getting diplomas and getting more and more independant those uncool losers will keep on masturbating while dreaming of what they can never get.

Don't burst my bubble
plain.gif

SirSuturesALot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone considered the flip side? Don't girls find it creepy to date guys much older than them? Gold/passport/etc diggers excluded, obviously.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SirSuturesALot
Has anyone considered the flip side? Don't girls find it creepy to date guys much older than them? Gold/passport/etc diggers excluded, obviously.
Not sure what you mean by "much older." The odd thing is that...for whatever reason...many of them don't. That's why its so common. As an example, former Senator Fred Thompson, his much younger wife Jeri (a powerful lobbyist) and their children:
fred-thompson-quits-presidential-race.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads