• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

BB1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recently had to attend a Catholic funeral mass. Not being Catholic and not knowing what to expect, the wife and I dressed up the best we could since the deceased's family was very conservative and tended to dress more formally than us.

I wore my black Lad Musician suit, but was concerned it might look a little too fashion forward for a funeral. However once we entered the church, all my fears vanished....

The guy standing in the pew in front of us was wearing baggy carpenter pants and an over sized black hoodie. Every time he'd stand up, his pants would fall down part way revealing his underwear and butt crack! The guy looked to be about 55 to 60 years old.

So I started looking around at everyone and noticed about 1/3 of the audience were wearing extremely casual clothing (e.g. faded blue jeans, brightly colored REI rain parkas, etc) while most others were wearing dark suits and dresses. Furthermore nearly all the disgracefully dressed people were baby boomer age. This is a pattern I have often noticed at other social gatherings whenever a wide range of ages are present.

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by scott.m
where the **** are my junya pants. i am getting so impatient
frown.gif

As am I. I asked for a tracking number, and all I got was a "thank to you!".

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BB1
I recently had to attend a Catholic funeral mass. Not being Catholic and not knowing what to expect, the wife and I dressed up the best we could since the deceased's family was very conservative and tended to dress more formally than us.

I wore my black Lad Musician suit, but was concerned it might look a little too fashion forward for a funeral. However once we entered the church, all my fears vanished....

The guy standing in the pew in front of us was wearing baggy carpenter pants and an over sized black hoodie. Every time he'd stand up, his pants would fall down part way revealing his underwear and butt crack! The guy looked to be about 55 to 60 years old.

So I started looking around at everyone and noticed about 1/3 of the audience were wearing extremely casual clothing (e.g. faded blue jeans, brightly colored REI rain parkas, etc) while most others were wearing dark suits and dresses. Furthermore nearly all the disgracefully dressed people were baby boomer age. This is a pattern I have often noticed at other social gatherings whenever a wide range of ages are present.

It'd never fly in america, but mandatory school uniforms (preferably with a traditonal shoe and necktie requirement as is the case in many countries) til graduation for the next 3 or 4 generations of kids would work to alleviate this. On that note as well, give them proper food to eat at school and a couple food-based home ec classes early on, and they'd be less fat as well.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by scott.m
where the **** are my junya pants. i am getting so impatient
frown.gif

where the **** are my margiela german armys. i am getting so impatient.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lmaozedong
looks like ill be in dc next year for med school. seems like a lot of sfers are from dc--yall gotta show me around

Send me or sq4you a pm

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by impolyt_one
It'd never fly in america, but mandatory school uniforms (preferably with a traditonal shoe and necktie requirement as is the case in many countries) til graduation for the next 3 or 4 generations of kids would work to alleviate this. On that note as well, give them proper food to eat at school and a couple food-based home ec classes early on, and they'd be less fat as well.

nah bro. i'd say most high schools here have uniforms with ties, but people still dress like ****.

sq4you

Mid-level baller
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lmaozedong
looks like ill be in dc next year for med school. seems like a lot of sfers are from dc--yall gotta show me around
how far down the rabbit hole are you (and your wallet) willing to go?

nicelynice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone help me with suit jacket lengths? Interested in this suit, but I feel that the blazer might be too long. It measured 31.5 in from the bottom of the collar to the bottom hem, while most of mine are 28-29 inches. Would it be difficult/throw off the balance to get it shortened by maybe an inch and a half? What do you guys feel about a blazer that length? The front looks alright, but the back looks almost like a topcoat or something The model in this pic is roughly my height, maybe an inch or two shorter:
2143x9i.jpg
jf8bxw.jpg

BB1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by impolyt_one
I think it is already improving somewhat since most of the people in their 20's and 30's were dressed relatively ok at the funeral. It was mostly people in their 50's and 60's that looked terrible. While people in their 70's and above tended to look kind of dated, they at least made a solid effort to look good.

lmaozedong

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sq4you
how far down the rabbit hole are you (and your wallet) willing to go?

pretty much all the way, but my wallet is pretty shallow. staring at 100k of debt in the face right now

nicelynice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kelvinsense
that's much too long but I'm aggressive wtih my suit cuts.

yeah, I am too, which is why I think i need an outside opinion. But it does seem long even for a "traditional" suit, especially from behind

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads