• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

mainy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jkidd41011
I'm learning to be more selective as well. I've had several "finds" that I ended up donating back. Does anyone really need an ugly 4" Robert Talbott ties just because it's Robert Talbott?

A couple weeks ago I saw a Pal Zileri. Got really excited because it's the first one I've ever come across. After I looked at it, it had a slight dry cleaner sheen so I left it.

ha
if i bought every skinny striped talbott tie i saw
i would probalby have 200 by now

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EBTX66
Congratulations! Now, the hardest part will be controlling yourself. My early days were filled with purchases that I didn't really like/want/need but I picked them up anyway because of the label. It's tough, but trust us, plenty of stuff will eventually come your way.
Remebering back to my early days, I label-shopped like crazy. A year or two later, I found myself going through boxes of dated Zegna orphan jackets, ugly ties, drycleaned-to-death dress shirts, etc. Stuff that I couldn't even unload for what I paid for them (usually $3-$6 a piece for anything other than ties). I totaled it all up and I had thrown away abput $200 over the past couple of years. Now I'm picky as hell. If the styling is dated, doesn't have any vents (unless it's super high end, then I'll grab it) or has a stain I know won't come out it'll stay behind.

CasmirRadon

Reaction score
Does anyone really need an ugly 4" Robert Talbott ties just because it's Robert Talbott?

I learned to be picky with Robert Talbott ties immediately, seems like every thrift store in my area has at least 10, I think I've only bought like 3 of them.

Wish I knew by looking how likely a stain was to come out of clothing. For example a couple days back I saw an interesting Aquascutum jacket. Had some discolorations on the back, and cost $15. But I don't want to waste the money on buying it, plus dry cleaning that might not even work.

gaseousclay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
nb4t5j.jpg
got this Zegna tie today for $10

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sean Archer

Reaction score
Hanover Brown Longwings off EBAY arrived. My brown longwing quest is finally at an end... For now.
lol8[1].gif

BBC

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Temujin
My first Hickey Freeman!!! It's UUGLYYY! But still for .99...
Also I saw an orphaned jacket, the label said "H. Freeman & Sons". Is this also Hickey Freeman?
It was navy with a light blue pinstripe about 3/4 inches apart.

H Freeman is a different company (based out of Philadelphia). They still produce MTM suits for many of the finer mens shops that retail (ballpark) from about $700-$1200. The quality seems very good in the pieces I've encountered.

H. Freeman & Son is indeed very nice quality, but largely ignored in MC and almost unflippable on eBay. If you happen to find one that's a true 3/2 sack then the "trads" over on AAAT are your best bet. I usually leave the 2B darted H. Freeman stuff behind.

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
wow - I have a confession to make --- I'd always thought that H. Freeman & Son was the same company as Hickey Freeman....
blush.gif
anybody else? just me?

jkidd41011

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CasmirRadon
I learned to be picky with Robert Talbott ties immediately, seems like every thrift store in my area has at least 10, I think I've only bought like 3 of them.

Wish I knew by looking how likely a stain was to come out of clothing. For example a couple days back I saw an interesting Aquascutum jacket. Had some discolorations on the back, and cost $15. But I don't want to waste the money on buying it, plus dry cleaning that might not even work.

I think I have only thrifted one Talbott. All the other are too wide, skinny, or beat to crap. Ive also seen some butt ugly Versace and Zegna ties I've passed on. IMO, The Brroks Brothers ties are the best ones to thrift (unless you happen across something that isn't dated or beat up). They have kept their styling and material consistent, and as long as they were taken care of they still wear great. I've found several that I've wore a few times, put together a lot of 3 or 4 and sold on e-bay and more then got my money out of them.

Joe Cool

Reaction score
Long drought broken.

A sweet Schlesinger cowhide trial bag - $2.00

IMG_0734.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads