• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

slappy

Reaction score
Well they are different, I dont know if Id agree that one looks more work bootish than the other however. Honestly it's unfortunate that I can't view any of these without ordering first. The stitching pattern is pretty different but as for which one I like its just hard to tell without seeing them. Back to the color though, the JCrew color looks fantastic from the pictures Ive seen such as in this thread http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=132919 It's a brown but has some red undertones it looks like, with a lot of depth to the leather. How does the shoemart version compare?

Trapp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Someone should correct me if I'm wrong, but it should be the same leather for both versions. Brown Horween chromexcel.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by slappy
Shoemart has free shipping and no tax also. Thanks for the recommendation I might go that route instead once I get the lowdown on the color difference.

That and Shoemart is a damn fine company, so people should be buying from them anyway..
laugh.gif

Ahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gnatty8
So anybody want to take the tan suede flex welt chukkas off my hands? Will sell for $300 shipped. Have been worn once, but I just can't get into the brown stitching at the welt. PM me if interested, and sorry for momentarily turning this into B&S. Thanks Alden for the $100 loss..
plain.gif

I don't know. I would prob keep them for a while and you may actually like it in a little bit.

I remember when I bought my black cordovan plain toe boots that I really did not like them that much. Now I love them. But I understand if you have to do what you have to do.

I have noticed that Alden will take some liberties or changes when filling orders. Even if it is a re-order of a previous mock up. I do not hate that they do this but look at it as a sign of handcrafting.

Anyway here are my new dark brown long wings in calf that I got from Leather Soul. I saved my pair of cigar shell long wings to compare with them so both are brand new.

77555983.jpg

24773737.jpg

27938860.jpg

11680697.jpg

27089228.jpg

I REALLY love the dark brown calf. I am VERY happy with this shoe.

Thanks Tom!

slappy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Trapp
Someone should correct me if I'm wrong, but it should be the same leather for both versions. Brown Horween chromexcel.

The JCrew site lists theirs as Dark Brown

Ahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The JCrew site lists theirs as Dark Brown
So that means it cannot be chromexcel leather?

sellran

Reaction score
27089228.jpg

I

THESE ARE AMAZING SHOES, BUT I'VE BEEN TRYING LIKE CRAZY TO FIND A PAIR OF LONGWINGS LIKE LEATHER SOUL SOLD LAST YEAR

THEY WERE DESCRIBED AS FOLLOWS: "Our newest Leather Soul Exclusive is the Alden flex welt, soft cognac calf longwing. Buttery soft tumbled lady calf coupled with Alden's flex welt construction and oiled leather sole make this longwing the most comfortable American classic you'll ever own."

ANYONE KNOW WHERE I CAN GET ANYTHING LIKE THIS? (LEATHER SOUL IS OUT OF THEM).

slappy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ahab
So that means it cannot be chromexcel leather?

I believe it is chrome excel. I just assumed it came in varying colors, if not then yea they are the same color. Just odd because they look different in pictures

Trapp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I believe it is chrome excel. I just assumed it came in varying colors, if not then yea they are the same color. Just odd because they look different in pictures

It doesn't matter what the retailer decides to call it, afaik it's either the same exact color or extremely close.

Ahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sellran
THESE ARE AMAZING SHOES, BUT I'VE BEEN TRYING LIKE CRAZY TO FIND A PAIR OF LONGWINGS LIKE LEATHER SOUL SOLD LAST YEAR

THEY WERE DESCRIBED AS FOLLOWS: "Our newest Leather Soul Exclusive is the Alden flex welt, soft cognac calf longwing. Buttery soft tumbled lady calf coupled with Alden's flex welt construction and oiled leather sole make this longwing the most comfortable American classic you'll ever own."

ANYONE KNOW WHERE I CAN GET ANYTHING LIKE THIS? (LEATHER SOUL IS OUT OF THEM).

Originally Posted by jerrybrowne
Try here.

http://winnperry.com/updates/alden-winn-perry/

I have the Leathersoul version. One of my favorites.

+1, the Winn Perry shoe is supposed to be really nice. I like it. I think it is different from the Leather Soul shoe. If not I am sure Tom will redo that shoe. It gets a lot of positive mentions.

Originally Posted by Trapp
It doesn't matter what the retailer decides to call it, afaik it's either the same exact color or extremely close.
I think there will always be slight variations in colors because leather is in and of itself a flawed medium. Not all leather is the same.

Also I think the the color of stitching and soul edges as well as lighting will make shoes look different from pic to pic. Even the pics I posted tonight had the same shoes looking different because of clouds or some sh*t. The best you can do is to see them in person. Otherwise it is a crap shoot.

sellran

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jerrybrowne
Try here.

http://winnperry.com/updates/alden-winn-perry/

I have the Leathersoul version. One of my favorites.

Thanks for the WinPerry suggestion. My only concern is that the WinPerry's are described as "walnut brown" and the Leathersoul version is described as "cognac." The Leathersoul version also looks a little lighter in color. I was looking for something like the whiskey cordovan's but in calf and the Leathersoul's are the closest I've ever seen.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sorry if it has been asked but does anybody know the last on the 40721C?
1P_40721C.jpg

Ahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sellran
Thanks for the WinPerry suggestion. My only concern is that the WinPerry's are described as "walnut brown" and the Leathersoul version is described as "cognac." The Leathersoul version also looks a little lighter in color. I was looking for something like the whiskey cordovan's but in calf and the Leathersoul's are the closest I've ever seen.
Why not get the Whiskey Cordovan's? I do not think that the Leather Soul or the Winn Perry will look very similar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads