• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

mlyngard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yamete
hi, ive recently got a pair of dior MII raw sz 28, calfs fine, but it got so much tigher when it gets to the thigh and i could only button 2 because of the tight thigh. should i give a try or sell?
Sell. Asap. Nobody should endure jeans that tight, and I don't know any jeans that will ever stretch enough to make that situation wearable.
Originally Posted by aj_del
Despite everyone's advice and my initial resolve to keep the FH 1001, I decided to sell them. So now I am again looking for a pair of jeans. Any recommendations ? I need these measurements post soak Waist - 17" Thighs - 12.5" Knee - 9" Hem - 8.5" Front Rise - 11" Back Rise - 15.5" Inseam - 35.5"
That sucks, but based on those dimensions, the 1001 cut definitely isn't for you. If you want to stay with FH, try the 1005/3005 and definitely the F380. (also at SE) Also, suggest you take a look at the Samurai S5000 and S0500xx. Warehouse Dubbleworks 660. Also, the Real Japan Blues 105. Fullcount 1108, Eternal 811BG. Skull 5507. I think what you might want is a '66 cut. Fuller thigh with taper. Thigh and rise vary on those suggestions, and you may be hard pressed to find a cut with a 12.5" thigh tapered to a 8.5" hem on a 34w. Good luck.

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BlackToothedGrin
To AJ Del:

Size 31 APC Rescue should get you pretty close to those numbers. If you want a pair to try out I have a almost new pair (no fading) that are a little big for me that I will let go of for cheap.

I have already have a APC NS and would like to try to something different. Thanks for your offer

Originally Posted by ysb
I don't know if this suggestion's been made to you yet but you could try the Epaulet offerings. I love mine and they have a a fuller cut too if you want more room in the thigh. I also think ndg' classic fits will measure out similarly.

I will check them out. Thanks for the suggestion

Originally Posted by mlyngard
That sucks, but based on those dimensions, the 1001 cut definitely isn't for you. If you want to stay with FH, try the 1005/3005 and definitely the F380. (also at SE)

Also, suggest you take a look at the Samurai S5000 and S0500xx. Warehouse Dubbleworks 660. Also, the Real Japan Blues 105. Fullcount 1108, Eternal 811BG. Skull 5507.

I think what you might want is a '66 cut. Fuller thigh with taper.

Thigh and rise vary on those suggestions, and you may be hard pressed to find a cut with a 12.5" thigh tapered to a 8.5" hem on a 34w.

Good luck.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I would love to stick with FH. After only 3-4 days the denim felt great though it was tough on my fingers just to button them up. sadly, F380 is sold out.

Captain Winky

Reaction score
I'm looking at some Nudie Grim Tim jeans, can anyone comment on the fit, and what it's comparable to? I have some APC, some 3sixteen and some Rag & Bones, if there's anything from any of those lineups that is a decent comparison.

mlyngard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the suggestions. I would love to stick with FH. After only 3-4 days the denim felt great though it was tough on my fingers just to button them up. sadly, F380 is sold out.

Those FH will continue to shrink beyond the first soak or wash. Trust me on that. Don't invest much time wearing them if you might sell. There will be more shrink.

Kiya's expecting to get in the new 2010 FH this early summer...I sense the 380 will be replaced with a new redesign. That's what I'm hoping.

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ I have already sold the 1001s. The front rise and back rise were too short for my taste.

Nopike343

Reaction score
Despite everyone's advice and my initial resolve to keep the FH 1001, I decided to sell them.

The reason was that the front rise and the back rise post shrinking were a little too short for me. Is a front rise of 10" and a back rise of 14.5" how it should be after soaking. I was expecting around an inch more. Anyways, the rise felt too low to me and I was pulling up me jeans every now and then. Also it was snug on the thighs (11.75").

So now I am again looking for a pair of jeans. Any recommendations ? I need these measurements post soak

Waist - 17"
Thighs - 12.5"
Knee - 9"
Hem - 8.5"
Front Rise - 11"
Back Rise - 15.5"
Inseam - 35.5"

Thanks for reading and your help

As far as rise is concerned, I do not like jeans that have a low rise. That being said 10" rise in front seems reasonable the back 14.5 could be longer, you don't want to do ass clevage. If you are used to a higher rise jean and go midrise it feels funny at first but it will feel normal in time. Now that I wear midrise jeans my old, high rise, relaxed fit jeans feel way too loose and large.

yamete

Reaction score
Sell. Asap. Nobody should endure jeans that tight, and I don't know any jeans that will ever stretch enough to make that situation wearable.
thanks for the advise man, the weird thing is that i thought 19cm would be slim enough for me, but the calf was actually pretty loose, while the thigh was tight as hell. Im hesitant on sizing up cuz that'g give me a even looser calf. Any Japanese brand to recommend if you can? Im looking for only raw denim, ive a 31 true waist, and im looking for a pair that's about 10 in thigh. thanks

Ossington

Reaction score
I have lost some weight recently and I haven't been able to wear my favourite pair of jeans for a while. Is it possible to modify a size 31 to a 29 and not ruin it?

Mistral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ossington
I have lost some weight recently and I haven't been able to wear my favourite pair of jeans for a while. Is it possible to modify a size 31 to a 29 and not ruin it?

Modify yourself instead, eat more...

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How long should I wear my 501 STFs before the first soak? I know some people have held out for months but I am not really looking for/expecting anything spectacular. I already have a solid week of wear in them and they're starting to whisker decently.

Fluery

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Synthese
The Wal-Mart by the highway around here has raw cowboy jeans. They might be wranglers or something. They have 39in inseams for mad stacks, too - and they're nice and tapered to go with your boots. You just have to be OK with a rise that swallows your nipples. I think they're 25$

Originally Posted by KitAkira
STF

Gap 1969, Levis 501 STF and Uniqlo +J (not their cheap stuff but the top-shelf stuff - was $59 on sale down from $69 when I was there last month)

501s are going to be a real shrink-to-fit experience. Suggest you get some practice with those. Rewarding.

Cool, thanks guys.

Should have some fun this weekend. I'll post results if they're any good, haha.

Nopike343

Reaction score
^ You might consider practicing on an old pair that you can toss before you try this even on a cheap new pair.

mlyngard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yamete
Any Japanese brand to recommend if you can? Im looking for only raw denim, ive a 31 true waist, and im looking for a pair that's about 10 in thigh. thanks
It sounds like you want a 'skinny' jean with a tight taper? Tight lower leg? Or slim leg with a taper? Slim straights? I guess you might want to try and define what you're after a bit more. I know the terminology is a little hard to understand. I'd say take a look at Flat Head 05BSP, Somet 008 and Skull 5010. Maybe APC petite standards or NC
Originally Posted by Ossington
Not at all. If the dryer don't shrink 'em, sell them. You can't alter jeans that drastically, especially the waist band. The reasons are involved, but the waist is a one-piece strip of material. Look close and try and imagine how a tailor would take 2" off them.
Originally Posted by Mistral
Modify yourself instead, eat more...
worship.gif
Originally Posted by Cool The Kid
How long should I wear my 501 STFs before the first soak?
Are those a one-wash? Or did you buy them raw? If they're raw, the answer is don't even wear them without a soak. If they fit when raw, they'll kill you once soaked. If they're a one-wash version, wear them as long as you want. Just wash them when they stink or get dirty.
Originally Posted by Nopike343
^ You might consider practicing on an old pair that you can toss before you try this even on a cheap new pair.
Practice what? Oh! Edit: I see what you mean. I took it to mean 'break in a new raw pair himself'. I guess if he's planning to get out the acid and sander, he might want to do a trial-run on something else first...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads