• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NBA 2009-2010 Season Thread

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
nice. would love to have tyreke on our team. ship off fisher, sasha, morrison, brown, and powell for tyreke. i wonder if that would be something gs would take!

He plays for Sac, not GS. Although Curry plays for GS and would be a great fit for the Lakers, the trade would never happen.

fairholme_wannabe

Reaction score
nice. would love to have tyreke on our team. ship off fisher, sasha, morrison, brown, and powell for tyreke. i wonder if that would be something gs would take!

please tell me you're kidding

Brothersport

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In response to lawyerdad, RFX45, and foodguy about the refs (too confusing to quote all the posts), I don't think officiating would have ultimately made a difference, and I honestly don't remember Game 4 well enough to know whether it slanted OKC's way. I will say that you're crazy if you think the game (esp the beginning) didn't help LA and demoralize OKC. They drove the ball on almost every possession, shot 6/23 in the 1st Q, and started off 0/13. LA went 14/20, started 12/15. I find it hard to believe that there were an equal number of no-calls for each side, as that would mean that LA should have shot about 95%. Still, though, it's not a big deal.
Originally Posted by RFX45
I think LAL played much better because Kobe managed to neutralize Westbrook, he even got him shook. Did you on the fastbreak when Westbrook could have easily dunked it but hesitated because he sensed Kobe behind him? I think Kobe got to his head by talking trash too.

Defense was definitely better the LAL were still sloppy, they got about 5-7 turnovers in the first quarter iirc. OKC just missed some of their shots got dominated on the boards. Lats night seriously thought the Lakers were the younger team, they were hustling and going after rebounds like there were no tomorrow, while OKC looked stunted. I'm afraid that it might just be the other way around in the next game at OKC. We shall see.

I doubt the trash-talking, and Westbrook is always moving fast enough to go out of control at least some of the time. But I just don't think Westbrook knew how to attack Kobe at all in the halfcourt. Combine that with the Lakers' stellar offense, which cut down so many transition opportunities, and Westbrook was negated, basically. Man, LA should dominate every freaking team on the boards. I feel like they don't even need to hustle. Bynum is going to have a length/athletic advantage over most centers, and Gasol will have a length/athletic advantage over every PF. That absolutely applies in this series. Bynum always wreaks havoc on the offensive boards in the 1st Q. Too much size and talent.

Artest to stop taking 3's should have been a no brainer but I was surprised he was able to dunk the ball in that one pick n roll possession, well barely dunked the ball but dunked it nonetheless.

I can't say calls were exactly even because Pau got hammered several times under the basket and got no call but the Laker definitely got less calls for what they did to OKC. Artest and Bynum were pushing and shoving anyone with a blue jersey in the paint.
lol8[1].gif

Haha, that Artest dunk was awesome.

Man, Pau never spends that much time under the basket. He either makes a short hook from the baseline or almost gets to the baseline before making a great pass for an assist. Everytime a defender comes near him, he yells and flails, even if he wasn't hit. Kobe yells too.
plain.gif
Sometimes (not just in this series, e.g. PAUL MILLSAP) refs gotta learn that just cuz someone yells doesn't necessarily mean there was a foul.
Originally Posted by foodguy
i think it was definitely laker defense that stymied thunder, rather than them just missing open shots. an interesting thing pointed out on one of the bball blogs yesterday, before the game: when running their set offense, even in the blow-out game, the Thunder only shot about 35% or something like that. Where they scored their points was in transition and at the free throw line. the lakes shut down the transition yesterday (combination of kobe on westbrook and, interestingly, moving artest out of the corner on offense, so he was in a better position to get down the court to defend after missed shots). i think kobe to westbrook was a very ballsy move, and also a tacit admission by kobe that his offensive game, for whatever reason, is not what it has been. traditional thinking would never have you burn out your offensive star chasing their pg.
This is a good post. OKC couldn't run and absolutely got rattled out of their halfcourt game. They didn't give Durant that many plays, Westbrook couldn't penetrate and get calls, and yeah. Even Sefolosha took a bunch of shots.
facepalm.gif

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brothersport
In response to lawyerdad, RFX45, and foodguy about the refs (too confusing to quote all the posts), I don't think officiating would have ultimately made a difference, and I honestly don't remember Game 4 well enough to know whether it slanted OKC's way. I will say that you're crazy if you think the game (esp the beginning) didn't help LA and demoralize OKC. They drove the ball on almost every possession, shot 6/23 in the 1st Q, and started off 0/13. LA went 14/20, started 12/15. I find it hard to believe that there were an equal number of no-calls for each side, as that would mean that LA should have shot about 95%. Still, though, it's not a big deal.

The fts in game 4 definitely help OKC win in an overwhelming way, the numbers of ft difference alone was staggering (17-28 compared to 42-48, 25 pts difference). Last night, int he beginning there were probably 2-3 calls that could have gone OKCs way, like I stated before Lakers really did bully them in the paint, but the ft discrepancy wasn't that much like in game 4. 22-31 for LA and 18-24 in OKC. Considering how aggressive the Lakers were in the paint, you have though they'd get more calls overall. Part of it is maybe the refs were making up for all the calls OKC got in game 4. Refs do review the games they officiate and see the wrong calls they give and see how players react and that is why sometimes Kobe doesn't get the benefit of a call anymore, he flails around so much and at replays the refs sees that in the replay and it goes against him.

I agree, in the beginning the call favored the Lakers a bit more but overall the game was called evenly.

Brothersport

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It isn't Chicagos fault they were a .500 team, the Clippers would have probably been a .500 team in the East as well. CHicago isn't really the worst team out there though. Deng is a decent mid-range/slasher guy who can rebound. Gibson is young and inexperienced but he cans till develop that mid-range shot, which will help him as a center. Noah, not much to say there, a much better version of Varejao. Hinrich is too inconsistent and overpaid but he'll be shipped out next year for sure. Rose does seem to get a lot of contact every time he drives but he is young and he doesn't get those preferential calls yet. Plus he is playing against Lebron... enough said.

I was going to say the same sh!t about LBJs elbow but I'll give him the benefit of a doubt. I think he just tried to show off by shooting left handed since he made the first one so seamlessly and that gave them a 4 point lead but again, he gets a lot of hate lately (heard of the sweatsuit fiasco?
facepalm.gif
) and some of them are just reaching now so I'll give the MVP his benefit of a doubt. I hate Mo especially since he had to whine and ***** about being in the ASG last year but he has played well in this post season, let's see if he'll choke again in the ECF.

I still think theres a chance Wade leaves. I'm sure he wants to stay but they need to give him help or else he is walking. With the NBA increasing the cap room this year, it is more possible to get him some help. We shall see.

Nah, I'm not blaming Chi. They played above their talent level in the series, I think. I like Deng, but **** me if he doesn't realize how awful long 2-pointers are in general. That's a fatal team flaw, and one that should immediately get corrected by coaching/research. So, it's an organizational flaw. Gibson played well this year, but he's a freaking 24-yr-old rookie who plays PF with subpar athleticism who stands <6'10" in shoes. I guess he contributes, which is more than you can say for most #26 draft picks, but isn't he just a guy? I feel like you could find a carbon copy of him anywhere. Noah is probably overrated after the series he had, but he's still really good, I think. Gotta get a jumper and his D is still worse than the great Varejao's, but his IQ is off the charts. I think Rose has to go less to the floater than learn to initiate contact and bounce off to still get a shot up. Same with Brandon Jennings. It's not a coincidence that those two slim PGs shoot more and longer-distance floaters than maybe anyone else in the game and that they also have poor True Shooting %'s.

Yeah, I didn't mean that I was angry about LBJs injury or whatever, just that it's not worth any news reporting. While he says it's been hurting for 3 weeks, jeez, man, you shot >50% from THREE this series. That's like the injury to the kid in "Rookie of the Year!" There's 0 structural damage, so you get no sympathy from me just for having a bruised elbow. There's no supernatural effects at play here. Whatever. No big deal.
I dunno, would you trade Kobe for the Sacramento Kings' FIVE WORST PLAYERS? This isn't Madden. Btw, it may be sad, but the Kings' worst players (let's say Brockman, Sean May, Dominic McGuire, Ime Udoka, and Donte Green) are better than the Lakers'.

Also Tyreke Evans' trade value is probably pretty close to Kobe's.

Brothersport

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The fts in game 4 definitely help OKC win in an overwhelming way, the numbers of ft difference alone was staggering (17-28 compared to 42-48, 25 pts difference). Last night, int he beginning there were probably 2-3 calls that could have gone OKCs way, like I stated before Lakers really did bully them in the paint, but the ft discrepancy wasn't that much like in game 4. 22-31 for LA and 18-24 in OKC. Considering how aggressive the Lakers were in the paint, you have though they'd get more calls overall. Part of it is maybe the refs were making up for all the calls OKC got in game 4. Refs do review the games they officiate and see the wrong calls they give and see how players react and that is why sometimes Kobe doesn't get the benefit of a call anymore, he flails around so much and at replays the refs sees that in the replay and it goes against him.

I agree, in the beginning the call favored the Lakers a bit more but overall the game was called evenly.

Yup, this is fair and my point isn't worth belaboring and isn't really even that far from yours. I just want to make sure you Laker fans don't groupthink yourselves into oblivion.
lol8[1].gif

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMan, LA should dominate every freaking team on the boards. I feel like they don't even need to hustle.

i'm afraid that's what the lakers sometimes (often?) think, too.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
dunno, would you trade Kobe for the Sacramento Kings' FIVE WORST PLAYERS? This isn't Madden. Btw, it may be sad, but the Kings' worst players (let's say Brockman, Sean May, Dominic McGuire, Ime Udoka, and Donte Green) are better than the Lakers'.

Also Tyreke Evans' trade value is probably pretty close to Kobe's.

lol. correct. i was just shooting for pipe dream. hey remember pau was traded for mostly kwame and a few minor things. anything can happen

Originally Posted by NorCal
He plays for Sac, not GS. Although Curry plays for GS and would be a great fit for the Lakers, the trade would never happen.

yeah i know he plays for sacramento, just gs slipped out. i get confused between the two

fairholme_wannabe

Reaction score
lol. correct. i was just shooting for pipe dream. hey remember pau was traded for mostly kwame and a few minor things. anything can happen

yeah i know he plays for sacramento, just gs slipped out. i get confused between the two

at the time, one of the most lopsided trades I can remember. Marc Gasol doesn't make that look nearly as bad in retrospect (I think he'd be the perfect complimentary piece for OKC)--but yes, you know Jerry West was looking out for his own in that one.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Gibson played well this year, but he's a freaking 24-yr-old rookie who plays PF with subpar athleticism who stands <6'10" in shoes. I guess he contributes, which is more than you can say for most #26 draft picks, but isn't he just a guy? I feel like you could find a carbon copy of him anywhere.

I think it is easier said than done, like people thought Tyrus Thomas was supposed to be that guy but it never panned out. Gibson could actually be that guy; block, hustle, rebound and give you a mid-range threat (if he works on it). He showed some flashes this season when Noah was out and he could easily be a 10-10 guy.

An interesting tid-bit, Thomas was traded for Aldridge. Imagine if Aldridge stayed in the Bulls with Rose, Deng and Noah? They could be a great contender in the East right now. That is what they were expecting from Thomas and I am not saying Gibson would be a Aldridge type of player but he can be the same but less points and more rebounds.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fairholme_wannabe
at the time, one of the most lopsided trades I can remember. Marc Gasol doesn't make that look nearly as bad in retrospect (I think he'd be the perfect complimentary piece for OKC)--but yes, you know Jerry West was looking out for his own in that one.

actually, i asked him about that once and he insisted that it was a straight trade ... they liked marc gasol's potential and they LOVED clearing cap space by trading a player who didn't want to be there and was probably going to opt out over the summer.
He may have been blowing smoke, but i'm just saying it wasn't as clear-cut as kevin mchale trading kevin garnett to teh detested celtics.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
after cleveland's relatively non-easy time with 8th seed chicago (who doesnt really have any good player besides rose) what is your new take on their match up with potential lakers?

is it still the popular belief that lakers cannot handle cavs?

Originally Posted by foodguy
actually, i asked him about that once and he insisted that it was a straight trade ... they liked marc gasol's potential and they LOVED clearing cap space by trading a player who didn't want to be there and was probably going to opt out over the summer.
He may have been blowing smoke, but i'm just saying it wasn't as clear-cut as kevin mchale trading kevin garnett to teh detested celtics.

yup

Brothersport

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Marc Gasol: most underrated/unknown NBA player? I only know he's really good from stat guys and I don't think I've ever seen him play lol.

I think it is easier said than done, like people thought Tyrus Thomas was supposed to be that guy but it never panned out. Gibson could actually be that guy; block, hustle, rebound and give you a mid-range threat (if he works on it). He showed some flashes this season when Noah was out and he could easily be a 10-10 guy.

An interesting tid-bit, Thomas was traded for Aldridge. Imagine if Aldridge stayed in the Bulls with Rose, Deng and Noah? They could be a great contender in the East right now. That is what they were expecting from Thomas and I am not saying Gibson would be a Aldridge type of player but he can be the same but less points and more rebounds.

Yeah, but when you're picking 26th, why go for the guy with the super-low ceiling (Gibson)? It's not like you can have a bust, since so many flame out. I'd rather go international or go for an athletic guy from a small school, like George Hill. But you're right, easier said than done, and that's neither here nor there. I do think Gibson is decent, an okay mid-range hustle guy that every team has.

I don't think they would be contending with Aldridge. Substantially better, yes, but he isn't the low-post scoring presence that they're looking for or the center that Noah would play off of so well. Damn, man, he's a jump shooter. I suppose Chi fans could spend a season seeing whether it's possible to not score any points in the paint for an entire game.
laugh.gif

after cleveland's relatively non-easy time with 8th seed chicago (who doesnt really have any good player besides rose) what is your new take on their match up with potential lakers?

is it still the popular belief that lakers cannot handle cavs?

Well, matchup-wise, Shaq should beast Bynum and get him into foul trouble, Twan and Gasol both have advantages against one another, Artest might have trouble not fouling LBJ, Kobe vs. Anthony Parker is probably less of a mismatch than Artest-James, and I think Fisher could possibly flummox Mo Williams a bit. Still, edge goes to the Cavs in the starting lineup, I think. Shaq, though possibly a worse player now, I think can take advantage of Bynum using experience, Gasol is better than Jamison but they're totally different, LBJ+Parker>Artest+Bryant, and Mo Williams is still > Fisher. Bench: Varejao? Odom? Delonte West is way more stable (not psychologically lol) than Laker guards...the big advantage goes to Phil Jackson. Also, LA should still have an advantage on the boards, provided they play fundamentally.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Well, matchup-wise, Shaq should beast Bynum and get him into foul trouble, Twan and Gasol both have advantages against one another, Artest might have trouble not fouling LBJ, Kobe vs. Anthony Parker is probably less of a mismatch than Artest-James, and I think Fisher could possibly flummox Mo Williams a bit. Still, edge goes to the Cavs in the starting lineup, I think. Shaq, though possibly a worse player now, I think can take advantage of Bynum using experience, Gasol is better than Jamison but they're totally different, LBJ+Parker>Artest+Bryant, and Mo Williams is still > Fisher. Bench: Varejao? Odom? Delonte West is way more stable (not psychologically lol) than Laker guards...the big advantage goes to Phil Jackson. Also, LA should still have an advantage on the boards, provided they play fundamentally.

also the advantage of home court to cleveland. so basically cavs in 5
frown.gif

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah, but when you're picking 26th, why go for the guy with the super-low ceiling (Gibson)? It's not like you can have a bust, since so many flame out. I'd rather go international or go for an athletic guy from a small school, like George Hill. But you're right, easier said than done, and that's neither here nor there. I do think Gibson is decent, an okay mid-range hustle guy that every team has.

I don't think they would be contending with Aldridge. Substantially better, yes, but he isn't the low-post scoring presence that they're looking for or the center that Noah would play off of so well. Damn, man, he's a jump shooter. I suppose Chi fans could spend a season seeing whether it's possible to not score any points in the paint for an entire game.
laugh.gif

I don't think Gibsons ceiling is so low though, he's had good double-double games, I think I am extra generous on him because he was in my fantasy team and he helped me win blocks and rebs 1/4 being offensive. I don't think a double-double w/ 1-2 blks is a low ceiling, Haywood has been averaging close to that with less points and he has been a good asset (Mavs just doesn't utilize him as much).

With Aldridge, I think they would definitely compete. Look at what they have now and just add Aldridge in and you got a solid team. Aldridge isn't the biggest post threat but he can post and fade or post and hook. Sure they'd have a weak post offense but it will still be better than it is now. Now there isn't much threat in the post so they can double Rose and Deng but with Aldridge, he can spot up with his range and free up the lane for Rose and if they guard him he kick it out to Aldridge or Deng. You can live without much post offense as long you have a decent to good post defense, which with Gibson, Noah and Aldridge would have been good enough in the East.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads