• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

GTI or other suggestions

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Once had to get a new key cut for my Audi, one of those cheesy flip-out butterfly keys with the keyless locking on it. Cost was something ridic for the keyless, like $200-300, and a regular ol' valet-privilege key without keyless still cost over a benji I think. Same exact part as the VW Golf and the Lamborghini Gallardo, with the exception of the interchangeable plastic battery door.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
We have owned several GTIs and now own an R32. The R32 is fast, fun and comfortable with intense sports car feel and DNA. Go drive one then buy one used.

But the newer lower standard tires are anything but standard when it comes to cost so be prepared to shell out some serious dough when it is time to get some new rubber all around.

That being said, you can't go wrong with a GTI except that VW or even Porsche won't be as reliable as many of the azian cars. But you can actually haul things in the GTI, it is quite an efficient auto.

I spent some time working in a VW dealership (largest service center in the country) and in my experience, it seems that the cars really really like preventative maintenance. For the most part they are pretty reliable, just require you to keep everything polished up rather than skipping regular service until something breaks.

grundletaint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by otc
I spent some time working in a VW dealership (largest service center in the country) and in my experience, it seems that the cars really really like preventative maintenance. For the most part they are pretty reliable, just require you to keep everything polished up rather than skipping regular service until something breaks.

+1. a lot of the issues stem from people treating them like toyotas and riding out oil changes, etc. sure, they have their share of issues, but most can be avoided by paying attention to the service schedule. had an A3 since 07 with no problems other than a frayed timing belt which was caught and replaced under warranty during a sched. maintenance.

Dmax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by per0
If you like GTI, take a look at Audi S3. It's more expensive but better than GTI in every way.
Originally Posted by chrisjustinparr
No. A whole $10k for a douchebag badge? Thread should read "GTI". No other suggestions. I would also avoid the leather.
Did a S3 driver run you off the road? That would have been something given that S3 is not sold in US or Canada and I thought you were to young to drive anyway.

dtmt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you can afford a little more get a 328i. Better acceleration times than the GTI, but more importantly it's RWD. Also doesn't have the boy racer image of the GTI.

Dmax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
finally getting myself a car and want something small and fast and reasonable. any better suggestions?
Originally Posted by thekunk07
need teh german
There is nothing else German and brand new in that price range that fits you criteria. If you're OK with pre-owned a Porsche Boxster is worth a look provided you don't need a back seat. If you're not allergic to hood scoops you can look at Subaru WRX and Mazdaspeed 3 which are both in the same price range as the GTI ($25K-$28K). They are not teh german of course.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
What kunk wants and needs, but does not yet realize, nor can he reasonably have, is the Alfa Romeo Brera. Preferably with a martin margiela car cover.

jml90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dmax
There is nothing else German and brand new in that price range that fits you criteria. If you're OK with pre-owned a Porsche Boxster is worth a look provided you don't need a back seat.

If you're not allergic to hood scoops you can look at Subaru WRX and Mazdaspeed 3 which are both in the same price range as the GTI ($25K-$28K). They are not teh german of course.

There is nothing OK about the Boxster.

Rye GB

Angry Englishman
Reaction score
Tough call, the main criteria would be how will Kunk look driving a compact without looking like an overweight child in a pedal car.

All suggestions include tinted windows option.

1. 135
2. S3
3. Z4 Coupe
4. GTI

The Louche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ArteEtLabore14
Mazda RX-8

Originally Posted by xpress
+1...

Used its the best bang for buck on the market (Buy a couple years of extended warranty)

I have an '04 6MT and I love it. Easily the best bang for your buck out there. It may not be the fastest car in the world in a straight line, but that's not the point, and it can out run 80% of the cars on the road anyway. The handling is some of the finest you'll find under $75K.

Car and Driver even profiled the RX-8 in a cover story on tremendous performance value last year.

Do buy the warranty, though.

ArliHawk`

Reaction score
We have a GTI and it is a fantastic car. If you get the leather, it is a great road trip car and the engine is fantastic.

Something that also looks promising is the Nissan Juke, which will be all wheel drive and about the same horsepower as the GTI. One nice thing about the GTI is that it also comes in a 4 door model if that's a need for you.

per0

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chrisjustinparr
No. A whole $10k for a douchebag badge?

Thread should read "GTI". No other suggestions. I would also avoid the leather.

It's more like $20k difference where I live.

S3 has quattro drive, 265 hp, magnetic ride, s-tronic, much better interior..

per0

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dcg
TDI A3 would be awesome except for Audi's insistence on not making it available with proper transmission/drive train choices. Only comes in Auto and FWD. I want manual and Quattro.

In Europe you can get A3 with all combinations of FWD/AWD and auto/manual.

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by per0
In Europe you can get A3 with all combinations of FWD/AWD and auto/manual.

...and the 1 series hatch, 335d, and on and on and on. You guys get all the cool ****.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads