• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many miles did you run today?

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Intervals today:

Did the Lyle McDonald SPF 1.0 Protocol.

Empty stomach, one cup coffee.

10 minutes easy warmup
15 sec all out/45sec easy, x 5
5 minutes rest
30 min easy steady state (135 bpm)

Will extend intervals to x10 next time and then move to SPF2.0

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
21 miles in 3:20, first 15 were awesome, tried these damn power bar gel bites, they SUCK.
Not only did they not give me power, they totally made my stomach pissed off. I kept burping too.
By 18, I totally bonked.
I took a gel and finshed the run. Got a crazy running buzz afterwards.

I woke at quarter to 5 am, drank a pot of coffee-peed like crazy, left the house at 5:30 am - came home to a happy family.

It was about 50 degrees and sort of raining most of the time, kind of nice, but made everything look a bit gloomy.

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
4 miles. Had to cut it short because I was running late to pick up dry cleaning and meet my wife for dinner across town. Nice pleasant run either way. So many hot women running... i couldn't leer though I forgot my shades.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
4.5 trail. Still using the MTR 100 and I'm getting a bit bummed on durability. From the reviews they sounded like a sturdy shoe as trail flats go, but I'm finding otherwise. The rubber sole is wearing incredibly fast and I've only put about 30 miles on em. Lame.

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
5 miles. Nice near rain weather at 45-50F throughout. No overheating and not too cold.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
eh, just 4 miles this morning as I plow through partnership taxation. mneh.

spencers

Reaction score
8.35mi in 59:something

the ******* nike+ website was acting up last night and I've yet to see my run synced.
ffffuuuu.gif

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ran 3.5 miles with my daughter in the evening (shes really fast for a 6 year old)
and in the afternoon I ran 1.5 miles barefoot on the treadmill to begin to build up my callouses.

Im nearly fully commited to midfoot striking, have a few pairs of minimalist shoes on the way (NB MR805WS, Mizuno Elixer 5, and NB MT100's). Calves feel good.

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by antirabbit
Ran 3.5 miles with my daughter in the evening (shes really fast for a 6 year old)
and in the afternoon I ran 1.5 miles barefoot on the treadmill to begin to build up my callouses.

Im nearly fully commited to midfoot striking, have a few pairs of minimalist shoes on the way (NB MR805WS, Mizuno Elixer 5, and NB MT100's). Calves feel good.

did you have to drastically change your running form? or were you nearly there? I'm a natural forefoot striker and then went onto the pose method (to further the efficiency). It worked out great but I did really do it slow (from a walk to run program over a year).

i havent gone as far as doing full barefoot runs, but I do run in very minimalist shoes (ie Puma H street).

My shoe pattern from normal to minimal went like this:

Asics Kayano and Nimbus (2mths)
Asics Hyperspeed (2mths)
Mizuno Wave Universe/Puma H Street/NB 130XLU (now my regular running shoes).

I haven't had any injuries throughout, but I did build up very gradually. its helped me remain pain/injury free and lose 40+lbs in the process.

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have been quasi midfoot striking for about 8 months, and 3 months full on.
I have a pretty good base of miles and good level of fitness.
My major concern has been my calves and achilles, which are pretty tight to begin with.
I have noticed I can open my stride up a bit now. I need to work on speed.
I have confidence that I could run a marathon this way, but my issue would be at what pace.
So, no real change in form or technique. I think I am prone to running this way anyhow.

Im excited to get into a shoe with less heel.

I asked the Mizuno rep on the forums at Runnersworld.com about a minimalist shoe, he recomended the Elixer. I will also most likely get a pair of the Wave Universe 3's, but they do not have a full wave plate (none under the midfoot), so it may end up being a race day shoe. Additionally, I do run trails 60% of the miles I run and intend on running more and more on trails (want to do a trail ultra next year).

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice, well if you're running trails then you have to protect your feet. I've done some 5k XC races (the fun run friendly ones) and its so much funner to run on trails. I actually bought some XC spikes for races (Asics Dirt Dog 2) scored from runningwarehouse.com for $18 so I use them for my minimalist shoes on trails.

The only thing I hate about XC spikes is that they are so narrow and meant to be worn sockless. I had to size up a half size.

I just finished 5 miles. Perfect weather 52F totally lost myself on my run and had to look at my garmin to know how far I had run.

I have been quasi midfoot striking for about 8 months, and 3 months full on.
I have a pretty good base of miles and good level of fitness.
My major concern has been my calves and achilles, which are pretty tight to begin with.
I have noticed I can open my stride up a bit now. I need to work on speed.
I have confidence that I could run a marathon this way, but my issue would be at what pace.
So, no real change in form or technique. I think I am prone to running this way anyhow.

Im excited to get into a shoe with less heel.

I asked the Mizuno rep on the forums at Runnersworld.com about a minimalist shoe, he recomended the Elixer. I will also most likely get a pair of the Wave Universe 3's, but they do not have a full wave plate (none under the midfoot), so it may end up being a race day shoe. Additionally, I do run trails 60% of the miles I run and intend on running more and more on trails (want to do a trail ultra next year).

MrNick

Reaction score
I did 6 1/2 last night and my stomach didn't hurt too bad for once. Usually after a good run I'm on the ground with stomach pain then in the bathroom for a hour or two. But lately my stomach hasn't been too bad.

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrNick
I did 6 1/2 last night and my stomach didn't hurt too bad for once. Usually after a good run I'm on the ground with stomach pain then in the bathroom for a hour or two. But lately my stomach hasn't been too bad.

That is not normal!
Have you seen a Dr. about that?

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrNick

I used to have this issue too. After a really strong, intense run I would have the most insane stomach pain (in the lower abdomen) and then have to hit the bathroom for a while.

Never found out what the problem was/is.

MrNick

Reaction score
That is not normal!
Have you seen a Dr. about that?

I mentioned it while I was in for something else along with other stomach problems. It's probably IBS or UC, but for an official diagnosis I need a colonoscopy. I really don't want one of those!

I used to have this issue too. After a really strong, intense run I would have the most insane stomach pain (in the lower abdomen) and then have to hit the bathroom for a while.

Never found out what the problem was/is.
Do you have any other stomach problems?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads