• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things that are pissing you off- Food & Drink Edition

samus

Reaction score
How different are they? I've never had Branzino, but I don't really care for Chilean...

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by samus
How different are they? I've never had Branzino, but I don't really care for Chilean...
They are not similar at all.

Ricardo Malocchio

Reaction score
Originally Posted by HORNS
Mmmmmkay. It sounds like you kinda painted yourself into a corner there with your expectations and criteria of what would make you happy when drinking wine while dining out.
No, you completely misunderstand. Completely.

I'm merely pointing out the obvious - that certain basic expectations about proper wine service simply cannot be expected at most establishments - and then have offered simple strategies to improve your experience.

Red wine served too warm? Ask for an ice bucket with little ice/mostly water. It will chill it down quickly. Well, what about decanting? Are you seriously going to wait for that freshly opened bottle to fully decant? Of course not. You'd be there hours before you could pour your first glass.

See? Simple. Painted into a corner? Hardly. Merely acknowledging reality and doing my best to improve upon it.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ricardo Malocchio

I'm merely pointing out the obvious - that certain basic expectations about proper wine service simply cannot be expected at most establishments - and then have offered simple strategies to improve your experience.

Red wine served too warm? Ask for an ice bucket with little ice/mostly water. It will chill it down quickly. Well, what about decanting? Are you seriously going to wait for that freshly opened bottle to fully decant? Of course not. You'd be there hours before you could pour your first glass.

See? Simple. Painted into a corner? Hardly. Merely acknowledging reality and doing my best to improve upon it.

Big timers call the somm earlier in the week so the wine will be decanted prior to them arriving.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ricardo Malocchio

My apologies, then. I suppose it was your last statement about "In the end, there are but a handful of restaurants where I'd be willing to purchase a truly good bottle and pay the markup. You just can't expect proper wine service at most places." and my assumption of what a "good bottle" was and the amount of service would be appropriate enough for this bottle.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Big timers call the somm earlier in the week so the wine will be decanted prior to them arriving.

Sometimes
foo.gif
will give them a month's warning....

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
How can you possibly be a professional bartender and not know how to mix a basic cocktail? It's beyond me. If I were so inept in the very basics of my profession I'd be fired within a week. Someday I'm going to come up with a ranking of the seven circles of bartending hell. It will involve the following levels in some order or another... --Responds to any martini order with the question "do you want that dirty?"
ffffuuuu.gif
--Does not stock or does not know if they stock bitters behind the bar. --Does not stock or does not know if they stock vermouth behind the bar. Feel free to add your own.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
How can you possibly be a professional bartender and not know how to mix a basic cocktail? It's beyond me. If I were so inept in the very basics of my profession I'd be fired within a week. Someday I'm going to come up with a ranking of the seven circles of bartending hell. It will involve the following levels in some order or another... --Responds to any martini order with the question "do you want that dirty?"
ffffuuuu.gif
--Does not stock or does not know if they stock bitters behind the bar. --Does not stock or does not know if they stock vermouth behind the bar. Feel free to add your own.

Look at you blankly when you request a Canadian whisky in your manhattan. Comes back and says they don't have any Canadian whisky, when you can see CC sitting right there. Asks what type of vodka you'd like in your martini. You know what? In 10 or 15 years, we all need to pick a city and open up a VTR equivalent.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Look at you blankly when you request a Canadian whisky in your manhattan. Comes back and says they don't have any Canadian whisky, when you can see CC sitting right there.

Asks what type of vodka you'd like in your martini.

You know what? In 10 or 15 years, we all need to pick a city and open up a VTR equivalent.

How about..."A Manhattan? Now...remind me what's in that again? Oh...I don't think we have sweet vermouth...sorry...can I make it with something else for you?"
ffffuuuu.gif

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Look at you blankly when you request a Canadian whisky in your manhattan. Comes back and says they don't have any Canadian whisky, when you can see CC sitting right there.

Asks what type of vodka you'd like in your martini.

You know what? In 10 or 15 years, we all need to pick a city and open up a VTR equivalent.

What's wrong with asking the type of vodka?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

Because martinis are made with gin?

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
[bar snob]Martinis don't actually have vodka in them...so asking what type of vodka would be a really good indicator that you don't know how to make a martini.[/bar snob]

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Because martinis are made with gin?
You'd think so, but the vast majority of people who drink them get vodka ones. This one probably isn't the bartender's fault.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads