• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I got mugged last night

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Probably not but I imagine it's in the top 10.
For conne it would be top 1 if it was his fapping arm.

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Piece of advice from a long time DC native. You have to punch people in the face here, in other words you gotta steal a *****.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Wierd how the first half of Kick Ass parallels Conne's life.

r...

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Slopho
Piece of advice from a long time DC native. You have to punch people in the face here, in other words you gotta steal a *****.

Theres an algorithm most muggers run determining the possibility of "a ***** getting stole on", Conne was obviously on the shy side.

Sorry to read the news but glad you were not harmed.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
in other words you gotta steal a *****.
First time I've heard this expression.
confused.gif

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I always make sure to froth at the mouth and dress in blackface when roaming the mean streets of Adams Morgan.

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I thought it was "steel" not "steal"?

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by amerikajinda
I thought it was "steel" not "steal"?

Oh...maybe you're right. I hardly use the present tense, most of my street conversation end like "then I stole that ***** in the mouth."

There was a news story a few years ago about some guys in DC who video taped themselves punching/robbing people as they walked by. I remember they knocked one guy out and then peed on him, then they shut the camera off and shot him. He lived, but be thankful you don't have to live with stigma of being some guy who got knocked out then
peed on.

Edit: Nope according to Urban Dictionary I'm right its "steal"

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Steal

TylerDurden

Reaction score
My advice:
-Be aware where you are, and who's around you, and who might be following you.

-Carry a bright tiny flashlight, like a Surefire style. I've got one that goes on 200W strobe light mode, at the push of a button, that will blind somebody long enough to get you a head start in running away.

-Use the flashlight to punch someone in the throat, if you have to.

-They say its just best to give up your stuff as to not get shot or stabbed...Allot attackers kill people now, after they give them your stuff.

-I dunno... Try to avoid bad areas or walking alone. Avoid alleys and empty parks.

-Get some basic self defense training. It's better to be able to fight back then get the **** beaten out of you.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I was reverse mugged by the Burger King today!

He held me at knife point and put five dollars in my pocket, then knocked me out and ran!
Sonofabitch!!!!

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
I always make sure to froth at the mouth and dress in blackface when roaming the mean streets of Adams Morgan.

I believe it was Robin Williams who suggested pissing one's pants before venturing out into the mean streets.

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh...maybe you're right. I hardly use the present tense, most of my street conversation end like "then I stole that ***** in the mouth."

There was a news story a few years ago about some guys in DC who video taped themselves punching/robbing people as they walked by. I remember they knocked one guy out and then peed on him, then they shut the camera off and shot him. He lived, but be thankful you don't have to live with stigma of being some guy who got knocked out then
peed on.

Edit: Nope according to Urban Dictionary I'm right its "steal"

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Steal

You're right!
laugh.gif
I stand corrected... I thought it had something to do with pistol-whipping somebody (and since guns are made from steel) but you're right - to "steal" someone is the correct spelling. At least Conne wasn't stole(n), and he should be thankful he didn't have a gun pulled on him.

Actually I used to live at 18th and Q - about three blocks from where Conne was jacked - and made the walk up 18th street to Adams Morgan countless times... Adams Morgan can get pretty dangerous - especially after the bars let out:

"Just last week, in the wake of two shootings in Adams Morgan and at 14th and T Streets -- we were asking how safe you felt when you went out. Then, around 1 a.m. on Sunday morning in Adams Morgan, an unknown person fired six shots in the alley between the Suntrust bank and Julia's Empanadas, near the corner of 18th Street and Columbia Road, with one of the bullets flying across 18th Street and striking a light fixture on the porch outside Madams Organ. Although the gunplay happened right next to a police substation, the shooter got away.

As a result, you'll see more police on the streets in Adams Morgan this weekend, including the city's elite Crime Suppression Unit. But according to Brian Weaver, the head of the Advisory Neighborhood Commission, these two shootings are just the tip of the iceberg of rising crime in Adams Morgan: There have been 30 violent crimes in the last 30 days, primarily muggings and armed robberies, along with 14 confirmed incidents of shots being fired. "I view this as a scary jump," he says. "[Residents of Adams Morgan] tolerate drunk people fighting in the pizza line," Weaver says. "This is a little bit different."

(As a comparison, in August, there were 11 muggings and two assaults with a deadly weapon, which can be anything from hitting someone with a beer bottle to a shooting.)

The rise in shootings looks troubling. Weaver says police have determined that almost all are part of a long-simmering feud between rival teenage gangs, and the majority of those shootings are not happening on Adams Morgan's busiest streets. What's more worrying for visitors is that huge spike in muggings.

These robberies aren't happening on the 18th Street strip or Columbia Road, either, says Weaver; instead, the muggers and thieves are hiding out on deserted sidestreets like "Lanier Place or Champlain Street, waiting for people to come back to their car."

So while there will be more cops on the streets, consider this your public service announcement for the weekend: Park in the garage, take a taxi, grab the Adams Morgan-U Street Link bus to and from the Metro and just be extra vigilant. That way, there's less chance you'll turn out to be a statistic."

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/goi..._the_rise.html

http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/lo...ms-Morgan.html

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I remember some violent muggings taking place in Georgetown last summer (or was it the summer before that?). It definitely made me (and others) a little wary of walking the quiet side streets at night. Totally forgot about some of that stuff. Even when I lived in Forrest Hills a year ago, I'd feel creeped out walking up Connecticut to my apartment at 3 in the morning.

Creepiest thing that ever happened to me was in College near Ocean City, MD. I was chased several blocks (in my car) by this creep... finally lost the guy after parking near a campus police station for a long while. Since I lived in a ****** neighborhood with my fraternity brothers, I figured the guy was from the neighborhood too. Luckily never saw him again.

jmillz15

Reaction score
I live in Harlem, and have been mugged at gunpoint. Happened on my block in broad daylight by two guys...Not a pleasant experience by any means, and I know how you're feeling right now. Plus side of this is your street smarts will sharpen up right quick.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads