• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can you find anything wrong with this $85 suit (and $29 shoes) from Target?

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reevolving
Looks like any $200, $500, or $1000 suit to this newbie...(As do the shoes)
Can anyone explain the differences.
Or are some people grossly overpaying for their Kool-Aid?

http://madetomeasureny.com/2010/04/2...p-jeff-powell/

For a one or two use suit it's not bad, but the fabric, fit, and durability issues already mentioned are the difference seen in more expensive suits. Keep in mind however that spending $200, $500, or $1000 doesn't guarantee any of those characteristics will be better.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dennis Cahlo
Thanks, Ed.

dsc05895.jpg

Nifty.

- B

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
The apology is a big thing to do, shows more class than those that ragged on your looks (was I one of them
lookaround.gif
). Anyway, what you do is more "real" than what we do here, in that more guys are likely to take advice on how to buy/alter a suit from Target than to spend $5K on a bespoke suit. I do think that many things that you can learn here would help what you do on your blog. A $300 suit will never be a $5000 suit, but you can pick up bits on fit, quality, and style on here that you can apply to any wardrobe. Good luck on your site and stick around.

+1 on that. Didn't even know the blog existed let alone made fun of. I see no need to apologize for standing up for yourself.

I've been wanting to get an inexpensive summer suit...the blog definitely helps in that department. Thanks!

Dennis Cahlo

Reaction score
Thank you so much.

I wasn't apologizing for my original backlash to SF's commenters (OP of this thread did something similar a while back with one of my Land's End suits).I just felt I could have handled it better than flipping the bird and reacting the way I did.

I really do hope you get something out of my blog and I am glad you like what you see so far.

I'm still learning a lot about clothing myself. I just want men in my budget bracket to look good and not use lack of money as an excuse to wear flip flops and shorts.

axe

Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
The apology is a big thing to do, shows more class than those that ragged on your looks (was I one of them
lookaround.gif
). Anyway, what you do is more "real" than what we do here, in that more guys are likely to take advice on how to buy/alter a suit from Target than to spend $5K on a bespoke suit. I do think that many things that you can learn here would help what you do on your blog. A $300 suit will never be a $5000 suit, but you can pick up bits on fit, quality, and style on here that you can apply to any wardrobe. Good luck on your site and stick around.

+1. I think there's more merit to what Mr. Cahlo does than the mindless bickering over the most inane details, Ã la SF, MC in particular.. At least his blog can have a real impact on the "average" person.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The shoes don't look too bad for a one or two events a year buyer.

z7f9q

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just want men in my budget bracket to look good and not use lack of money as an excuse to wear flip flops and shorts.

Something that I'm sure everyone here can get behind. I'll be sure to check your blog for updates every now and then.

Dennis Cahlo

Reaction score
Thanks, guys. I never expected to get positive reactions here but you all have proved me wrong.

For the record, if I had more time with Jeff I would have taken him to my tailor who does custom clothing. He was so backed up I couldn't get Jeff there in time. We had only one afternoon to get everything done. It was like a race against the clock. Believe me, I see that the jacket is still a little too boxy and I even made mention that I hated the break the tailor gave on the pants (he didn't listen to me on that one) but for the one or two times Jeff will wear this suit, it's not half bad. Plus he had a budget of less than $300 to work with. That was for EVERYTHING including tailoring.

So, basically, I did my best with what I had to work with and I do not feel the end results are embarrassing to Jeff or to myself. For a man who wears jeans and t-shirts all the time and has never owned a decent fitting suit , this is a big step and I am really proud he was open to all my suggestions.

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you hadn't told me they were from taget probably not, the suit at least will be pron to wrinkles and a horriable cath all for lint adn dust and hair so watch out for that. The tie looks nice but will not last you as long as a good quality one will, that is why you got them at such a great deal.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, guys. I never expected to get positive reactions here but you all have proved me wrong.

So, basically, I did my best with what I had to work with and I do not feel the end results are embarrassing to Jeff or to myself. For a man who wear jeans and t-shirts all the time and has never owned a decent fitting suit , this is a big step and I am really proud he was open to all my suggestions.

A suggestion for future articles might be off-the-rack photos, followed by after tailoring photos.

Dennis Cahlo

Reaction score
Thanks!! I will definitely do before and after next time. I swear the suit looked really bad before we got the alterations done. Even though it's not 100% in the post, it's a definite improvement.

Jeff's body was really hard to fit. The 38R was too small and the 40R (pictured) fit better but was baggy. His lower arms are smaller than his upper which I'm sure my tailor would have been able to figure out how to fix the sleeves to make them look less "loose". But like I said before, i couldn't get him to my tailor in time. If only he had more money I would have convinced him months earlier to get fitted for a custom suit.

I was rushing around the morning before we ran to Target and forgot my camera. I was considering using my camera phone but those images just come out looking terrible.

WRAdvisor

Reaction score
I just want men in my budget bracket to look good and not use lack of money as an excuse to wear flip flops and shorts.

I understand that people are on budgets and not many people can afford $2K suits, but with the B&S section on SF and eBay....there are more than enough outlets to find QUALITY clothing for cheap.

I know this firsthand and I'm on a VERY tight budget with a new home and student loans...but with patience and knowing what you're looking for, you can put together a top-line wardrobe for 10% of the retail price.

This is just my humble opinion, there really isn't any reason to "settle" for a Target suit when a better quality suit can be had on the cheap with a little research and patience.

Trungtastic

Reaction score
I've noticed that Target briefly had a slimmer fit suit available. Never had it in my size but it def piqued my curiousity

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads