• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I got mugged last night

gqreader239

Reaction score
dude you made the right decision to just hand over the money and phone. i can imagine some people trying to fight over the stuff and getting stabbed for it. the worst thing you may have lost was your sense of ego or male masculinity but, you made the right decision.

Bexhill

Reaction score
I got mugged too by two blacks last year, they also took my cellphone, fortunately I had no money on me, I was so furious the Police did nothing. If I could find them and was certain not to get caught I'd shoot them in the head, shoot their mothers, hang their sisters and skin their brothers alive.
ffffuuuu.gif

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bexhill
I got mugged too by two blacks last year, they also took my cellphone, fortunately I had no money on me, I was so furious the Police did nothing. If I could find them and was certain not to get caught I'd shoot them in the head, shoot their mothers, hang their sisters and skin their brothers alive.
ffffuuuu.gif

You are my favorite new troll. Thank you.

Bexhill

Reaction score
I am not a troll, at first I was scared to death I thought they were going to kill me, then later I was so furious you can't imagine. You've never been mugged you can not understand

henrikc

Reaction score
Sounds horrible, Conne.
For what it's worth, it's just money. Hell, I'd gladly pay $10,000 to get away from a guy threatening me with a butcher knife.

Chiaroscuro

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Ive been in 3 attempted muggings, 2 of which involved multiple teenage attackers. In all 3 cases my situational awareness and not showing any fear, have kept me from actually getting mugged. Everyone who said hand over your stuff is correct. Especially since it sounds like the guy got the jump on you, but I bet if your awareness had been better you probably could have seen it coming and avoided it or escaped with your cash and phone. Its good your ok though. I recommend a CCP, a pistol, and improved situational awareness.

Bexhill

Reaction score
Is there any way to get a weapon in the UK? (I'm not British by the way but a European Citizen)

blackjack

Reaction score
ffffuuuu.gif

Actually, that (not having any cash on you) could have caused the muggers to beat, stab or shoot you in retaliation.

Philosophe had the right idea when he mentioned the "mugging money" or "decoy roll":

Originally Posted by philosophe
Sorry to hear it, Conne. At least you had some cash to give the bastard. Carrying some "mugging money" is always a good idea.

Depending on how much you can afford, wrap a $100, $50, or $20 around a bunch of one-dollar bills - or pack it in a money clip. The idea is to hand or throw it in their direction and run the opposite way.

Is there any way to get a weapon in the UK? (I'm not British by the way but a European Citizen)

http://www.donrearic.com/defendingyo...inbritain.html

Defending yourself in Britain

...Or anywhere else where you have been disarmed of anything likely to be purpose-built and effective for Self-defense. (This also applies to my Canadian and Australian Friends who have come under the legislative crush in the past. Whole new waves of Legislation will inevitably be passed in the future with each wave of nonsense being heavier and heavier, more and more oppressive with the direct design of total Civilian Disarmament.)

First of all, please realize that if you carry a knife in The United Kingdom for Self-preservation, it is quite likely that you will be going to prison if you are caught. Yes, the Authorities will sentence you to be incarcerated with the very same people you seek to defend yourself from. Horrible, isn't it? Well, sometimes, you have to play the cards life deals you and that's that.

Look at these two nice posters below, you will notice that they are targeting "youth gangs." But the warning applies to everyone in the Country.

britantiknifeposters.jpg

First of all, I would strongly suggest that you purchase one of your Fellow Countryman's excellent Self-defense books. That being, "Get Tough!" by then Captain William Fairbairn.

Secondly, begin to cultivate a certain mindset. You must be prepared to attack the attacker, especially in cases where someone who has a weapon confronts you. Or perhaps multiple assailants.

Do not have a "Defensive" mindset even though what you are doing is "Self-defense." Have that Offensive mindset in order to gain the upper hand against someone who is mentally/emotionally disturbed, intoxicated on alcohol or drugs, armed or has associates who will help them beat you down.

Third, cultivate a parallel mindset to where everything around you becomes a weapon of opportunity. Learn about Improvised and Expedient Weapons.

An Improvised Weapon is something you fashion to defend yourself with, or you carry, and the item in question has a totally innocuous appearance to the untrained eye but is suitable for Self-defense purpose because of unique attributes and material strength. Items such as sturdy writing instruments and pocket flashlights (torches) could be 100% legal, easily carried Self-defense items.

An Expedient Weapon is something that you train yourself to immediately recognize as having attributes and material strength suitable to defend yourself with at a glance...a moment's notice. Such as a drinking mug or glass in a restaurant...or perhaps a glass ashtray lying on a table.

Please understand that a simple Self-defense Keychain like a Kubotan will land you in jail in Britain. I refuse to tell you what to carry or what not to carry as your life is your own and I respect that. I am just warning you of the reality where you live. Likewise, a simple pocketknife could land you in prison for quite some time.

britishnono.jpg

If you wish to stay as legal as you can under the current Laws in your country, do not carry things you are not supposed to. Instead, cultivate the mindset of not being a victim and of using anything you can get your hands on, as well as carrying things that are suitable for Self-defense but serve another purpose like lighting your night walks to your car or writing a letter, etc.

If you do not think a very sturdy and well-built writing instrument or pocket flashlight can hurt you, I offer you the following challenge. Place your hand on your desk and smash it with one of these items!

mazzuolipen1.jpg

Get the idea? You don't have to kill in order to survive; Self-defense is never, ever about... "KILL KILL KILL!!!" It is about survival.

Disabled People

If you have some degree of disability, to the point you have to use a Walking Cane to get around, you might want to consider a very tough and stout Cane from a Company like Canemasters. I have two of their Canes and I find them to be excellent Defensive Weapons. You should inform them when you order to leave their Logo off of the Cane so it does not draw any more unwanted attention to you, before or after you use it.

Do not even contemplate carrying something like a Sword-Cane, a Cane with a Sword or some other weapon concealed inside of it. Once again, you will be taken to task for that legally. They are far more trouble than they are worth at this point in time...

I do strongly recommend Canemasters Canes, however. They are excellent and if you can carry one without drawing attention, they are awesome Self-defense weapons.

Let there be light

I mentioned Flashlights being used as Pocket Sticks (Striking Implement/Impact Weapon) for Self-defense. This is an excellent idea for ANYONE, not just those people in the world coming under the crush of weapons prohibitions. It works for everyone!

britflashlightsok.jpg

Some flashlights like Sure-Fire Flashlights from Laser Products, Inc. are expensive, but they are so effective at temporarily blinding an attacker that they cannot and should not be ignored.

If you can Flash & Smash the attacker, by blinding him temporarily and then kicking him multiple times in the shins and knees to disable him so he cannot chase you down and kill you, I think that is the way to go as well.

This is really attractive in Low Light Conditions which a lot of attacks are carried out in. If you do not even use the flashlight to strike with, but use it to blind the attacker temporarily and you then use your natural weapons to defend yourself... The Authorities will have to do something they do not want to do which is come out and say, "Now Unarmed Self-defense is illegal, have a nice day..."

Something terrible

I find it horrible and absurd that good, honest people have to be put into the position of being victimized by a criminal or their Government, or both of these entities...one after the other. A Government which is supposed to be benevolent and looking out for them instead of making them victims.

Unfortunately, when they take steps to ban everything yet are not so bold as to come right out and suggest that you cannot defend yourself at all... And given the reality that if you use anything at all as a weapon to defend yourself you might be charged with carrying an "Offensive Weapon" anyway... You might want to consider leaving the scene of the fight altogether without notifying the Police if you are attacked by a criminal.

I don't advocate breaking the law or taking the law into your own hands, but I do urge you to contemplate the reality of your situation and make an educated, logical decision as to what is in your best interest. If the Government is going to allow the criminal element to have a crack at you and then they are going to punish you for simply wanting to LIVE, what else are you supposed to do? Just become another maimed or crippled victim? Or perhaps allow them to deprive your family of their loved one by killing you?

Life is sometimes hard, we all know that, but this is so painful to write about, I feel only sorrow for my Friends in these Countries where the Governments have taken these horrid, Draconian Steps to victimize their own People.

Don Rearic

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Conne,

Sorry to hear about this, but I'm glad you're safe.

T

Lear

Reaction score
Conne Please don't feel guilty at not being able to defend yourself. The mugger is obviously faster, stronger, meaner and crueler than you could ever be. But that is all he is... many thousands of years out of date. There was a time in history when these qualities would've place you at the top of the totem pole. Now they'll get you minimum-wage-per-hour if you're lucky. So, rejoice in the fact that you're a civilized, nice, decent bloke. Take revenge on him in twenty years time, when he's asking if you'd like fries with that order. Ooops! I forgot, you don't eat that rubbish
laugh.gif

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is this thread a funny reference to Dodd's latest gem over the weekend comparing the financial crisis to a robbery by Wall St ?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
cross streets please.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It was on 18th. And I think T. I ran and wasn't paying much attention. He was just standing behind a gate in front of a house and kind of grabbed my arm. It was really discreet and a passerby probably wouldn't have noticed it. It was fast.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
OK, that is definitely not an area where I would have been especially on guard.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads