• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Jason which socks are those?

Trapp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure there's lots of forum pics of the LHS, so it's great to see some posted. But the forum in general has always looked very kindly on the shoe (when it comes up in B&S, for example.) Quite of few members have them who frequent MC.

I once thrifted two pairs in size 8 (black and color 8 shell) that needed re-soling and they sold in a heartbeat. People know and like the shoe.

Limniscate

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jasonfoote303
I was at the Alden SF store today chatting with Robert and Jim and a kid comes in and says "I'm from out of town and I want to get fitted for every last"

Robert and I looked at each other like "Oh mannnn"

The guys at the shop are willing to accomodate requests like this because they are professional and nice and provide top service, but that is asking A LOT. It takes a long time to get fitted for just one shoe when you consider the different widths.

I am an Alden fan and I get the need to know your exact size, but really? I also get the other side because I sell Aldens now.

All I can say is that dude better post his exact findings on this thread so everyone can benefit!

Lol, this "kid" who also happens to be a trial attorney.

neko30

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MiniW
"new" additions to my Alden collection

Library-1961.jpg

Library-1967.jpg

what type are the black ones on the right?

thanks.

jasonfoote303

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Limniscate
Lol, this "kid" who also happens to be a trial attorney.

Sorry about calling you a kid! thanks again for posting your findings... even though it seems to have started a fit controversy over on that other thread!

Limniscate

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jasonfoote303
Sorry about calling you a kid! thanks again for posting your findings... even though it seems to have started a fit controversy over on that other thread!

It's cool. I wouldn't be surprised if I'm actually older than you are; you looked pretty young yourself if I remember correctly.

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
o91q85.jpg

ravello nst boots

JackM

Reaction score
Originally Posted by benjamin831
Nice!

What last are these on?

I bought them secondhand (more likely thirdhand) and the seller wasn't 100% sure, but I believe they're on the Aberdeen. Maybe someone more knowledgeable can figure it out from the numbers inside the shoe:
img5181u.jpg

Dexter_

Reaction score
Originally Posted by michaelw
ravello nst boots

Good to see how Ravello looks with some wear on them. The varying levels of patina looks really nice.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Minor nitpick, but I just got the replacement flex welt chukkas to the pair I bought that blew apart after one wear. The stitching they used to attach the sole to the welt is not white anymore, but a dark brown, which really changes the character of the shoe IMO. Look at the chukka in the picture quoted a few posts above this, and now picture the white stitching if it were brown (in effect, it blends in to the color of the sole/welt). Not a deal breaker for me, just disappointed, and not sure why on earth they'd make a change like this that impacts the aesthetics of the shoe so much. They went from being one of the nicest Aldens I have seen, to just a meh sort of shoe..
plain.gif

Trapp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gnatty8
The stitching they used to attach the sole to the welt is not white anymore, but a dark brown, which really changes the character of the shoe IMO. Look at the chukka in the picture quoted a few posts above this, and now picture the white stitching if it were brown (in effect, it blends in to the color of the sole/welt).

That would annoy me too. The contrast stitching along the sole is a detail I find appealing on lots of shoes, and on those chukkas in particular it finishes and balances the overall look. With matching stitching on the sole I think the boot would look a little less integrated (the different browns would just 'stack' in layers, like a cake).

Sorry to hear about all those problems.

PeterParker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gnatty8
Minor nitpick...
I wouldn't exactly consider that nitpicking. If I'm paying $400+ for a pair of shoes, I had better be satisfied with them. Albeit your order wasn't custom, you got something unlike what you originally purchased. Yes, it's a small detail, but I'm sure most of us are willing to spend this kind of money on shoes because we appreciate the small details. To draw an analogy, if BMW had to replace your car would you accept a replacement with black trim, instead of the wood trim your original came with? Just my $0.02 (LS Beverly Hills is almost ready. Excited to receive my first pair of Aldens!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads