• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gun Appreciation Thread

Kyoung05

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dcg
My understanding was that it could be fired either SA or DA. Is that incorrect?

Yes, if you cock the hammer, you can fire it in SA. However, you really want to practice firing it in DA, as that is generally how DA revolvers were intended to be shot.

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dcg
I may be in the minority, but I really like the looks of the 4" 617. I also suspect I'd like the grips a lot better, but I'll have to handle both.

Fair enough - handgun love is subjective a lot of the time, so if you like the look and it feels good then go for it!

Personally, I love the Ruger Single Six .22 with 4 or 5" barrel.

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by milosz
$300 sounds right for the Ruger, but I'd expect the 617 to run more like $600.
Maybe if you find one gently used, but I've never seen a 617 in the $600 range. A new 10 shot 4'' or 6'' usually goes for mid $700+ locally.

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kyoung05
Yes, if you cock the hammer, you can fire it in SA. However, you really want to practice firing it in DA, as that is generally how DA revolvers were intended to be shot.

Can you expand on the bolded section? Does a SA revolver have some advantage over a DA/SA shot SA?

Originally Posted by JustinW
Fair enough - handgun love is subjective a lot of the time, so if you like the look and it feels good then go for it!

Personally, I love the Ruger Single Six .22 with 4 or 5" barrel.

Was actually looking at them as well.

http://www.ruger.com/products/newMod...le/models.html

I like the stainless 5.5" model and the blued 4.62". Wish they made a stainless 4.62" model!

Originally Posted by Southern-Nupe
Maybe if you find one gently used, but I've never seen a 617 in the $600 range. A new 10 shot 4'' or 6'' usually goes for mid $700+ locally.

Thanks, that's about what I saw in a very cursory initial search. I think I'll be buying new as I don't know what to look for in a used gun.

Back when I initially started looking my list was something like the S&W 617, 17, 22A and 41, Ruger Single Six, Mk III, and 22/45, Browning Buckmark, Beretta Neos and Cheeta, Sig Trailside (and I think the Mosquito was coming out?), Walther P22, and one of the CZs with Kadet kit. Anything else I should be looking at?

Also, I'm left handed, fwiw.

Kyoung05

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dcg
Can you expand on the bolded section? Does a SA revolver have some advantage over a DA/SA shot SA?

The main benefit of a DA revolver is that it can be fired without having to cock the hammer each time, in essence, making it like a "semi-auto." Cocking the hammer each time kind of defeats the purpose/benefit. Therefore, it is my understanding that, if one practices with a DA revolver, it should be fired in DA mode. You really want to get comfortable with the long, heavy pull - I believe S&W triggers are smooth enough that you can get into the habit of pulling the trigger all the way in one smooth motion, whereas Ruger DA triggers tend to be a bit rougher, so you sometimes want to fire those in 2 "stages."

For the most part, there are no benefits that an SA revolver offers over a DA one -- they're more difficult to load/unload, and because you have to cock the hammer each time you fire, you'll tend to shoot more slowly too. Also, a .22 single-action, i.e. Ruger Single Six, is a real ***** to unload, although it is a fun little gun. SA revolvers have their place though in larger calibers -- the ones made by Ruger are damn-near bulletproof and can handle "Ruger-strength" handloads, but again, in terms of a .22, no benefit at all.

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sig makes .22 versions of their P220 and P226 now.

In the 1911 realm, I think the GSG 1911 has finally made it to retail shelves: http://dealer.americantactical.us/products?product=609

The only knock I've heard on Single Sixes is that absolute accuracy is compromised by being both .22LR and .22Mag (.22 mag barrels are .001 inch larger than .22lr).

USFA makes a beautiful single-action .22, the 12/22, but it's spendy.

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dcg
As a rule, the SA pull of a SA revolver will be lighter and crisper than the SA pull of a DA revolver. But DA revolvers are still very easy to shoot (and shoot accurately) in single action.

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by milosz
USFA makes a beautiful single-action .22, the 12/22, but it's spendy.
Looks to be ~$900. Freaking beautiful:
USFA%2012-22%2003b.jpg
Kyoung05 and milosz, thanks clarifying the DA/SA question. I had never really warmed up to the look of the 22/45, but this new RP model does it for me. I'll have to see how it feels in person. The Sig options are also more reasonable priced than I had expected (edit - the Mosquito, that is. The ones based on the P220/226 frame are a couple hundred bucks more). A lot of good advice; I appreciate it.

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
T
For the most part, there are no benefits that an SA revolver offers over a DA one -- they're more difficult to load/unload, and because you have to cock the hammer each time you fire, you'll tend to shoot more slowly too. Also, a .22 single-action, i.e. Ruger Single Six, is a real ***** to unload.

The above runs counter to my experience.

Kyoung05

Reaction score
The above runs counter to my experience.

What part of my previous comment do you disagree with -- that one can load/unload an DA revolver faster that a SA revolver, or that one can shoot a DA revolver faster than an SA revolver?

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What part of my previous comment do you disagree with -- that one can load/unload an DA revolver faster that a SA revolver, or that one can shoot a DA revolver faster than an SA revolver?

In my experience, the light trigger of the Super Six makes aimed fire as fast as shooting with a heavy DA-only trigger. Cocking the hammer becomes a fluid motion that is very natural and fast.

Unloading is also pretty fast - certainly a lot faster than my DA-only snub nose revolver, upon which the ejector rod is too short to push the spent cases completely out of the cylinder.

It's not that I am disagreeing with you - I just think it is a lot more complex, with other factors playing a bigger role in how fast you can shoot accurately or empty the cylinder.

Now if we were talking black powder SA revolvers, it would be a different story (in most cases) ..

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dcg
I had never really warmed up to the look of the 22/45, but this new RP model does it for me. I'll have to see how it feels in person. The Sig options are also more reasonable priced than I had expected (edit - the Mosquito, that is. The ones based on the P220/226 frame are a couple hundred bucks more). A lot of good advice; I appreciate it.
I have a 22/45 and it's a lot of fun, accurate, easy to shoot, etc. Great deal. I like Sigs in general but I hear lots of bad things about the Mosquito. If the Walther 22 didn't have such awkward controls (IMO) I would have considered that.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gnatty8
Picked up this bad boy to increase the average caliber of my arsenal. It ain't pretty, but it's a workhorse:

ap27469548.jpg

ap17462932.jpg

I think it is pretty, actually.

Kyoung05

Reaction score
In my experience, the light trigger of the Super Six makes aimed fire as fast as shooting with a heavy DA-only trigger. Cocking the hammer becomes a fluid motion that is very natural and fast.

Unloading is also pretty fast - certainly a lot faster than my DA-only snub nose revolver, upon which the ejector rod is too short to push the spent cases completely out of the cylinder.

It's not that I am disagreeing with you - I just think it is a lot more complex, with other factors playing a bigger role in how fast you can shoot accurately or empty the cylinder.

Now if we were talking black powder SA revolvers, it would be a different story (in most cases) ..

Fair enough. In my experience with the Single Six, I found it kind of a pain to get that little ejector rod to line up with the spent cartridges to eject them (as opposed to say, using the ejector rod on my GP-100 to eject all 6 cases at once), but I have very little experience with a DA .22 like the 617 for comparison. Nevertheless, I still think that the Single Six is a great little gun, and love the versatility of being able to shoot both .22lr and .22wmr, although I didn't shoot mine nearly enough to justify keeping it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads