• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

If you had to start from scratch...with ~$25k...

StreetGuy

Reaction score
If you had to toss your entire wardrobe an start from scratch, what would you include? I'm not in that different of a situation as I've lost ~30lbs (and kept it off!) and switched jobs. So what better time to start over? Obviously I have ties, shoes, etc.. that do not need to be replaced, but lets assume its from scratch.

Work attire is a mix of business casual and business formal (probably need a suit ~1x per week).

What would you be putting in your freshly empty closet on a $25k budget for an entire wardrobe?

I know some of the pieces I will be picking up (shirts from CEGO, etc...), but curious for other important ideas! I'm just under 30, if it matters.

Bexhill

Reaction score
Turnbull & Asser made to measure shirts, Bespoke suits from Henry Poole Co. and Anderson & Sheppard. If there's anything left a couple of Ferragamo handkerchiefs, Hermes Ties and a pair of bespoke shoes.

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ You could do that, or you could spend it intelligently on eBay and B&S.

I've bided my time expanding my wardrobe; I started almost from scratch about two years ago (while in university) and I've spent a little under $15K at this point. My closet is worth more than $80K because I got good deals by NOT rushing into Hermes and dropping 500 bucks on two ties.

StreetGuy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bexhill
Turnbull & Asser made to measure shirts, Bespoke suits from Henry Poole Co. and Anderson & Sheppard. If there's anything left a couple of Ferragamo handkerchiefs, Hermes Ties and a pair of bespoke shoes.

I've been in the Turnbull store a few times -- the OTR shirts are at the very high end of what I think I could reasonably afford at this point.

Considering I'd probably like to have 15-20 shirts, I think going T&A made to measure could easily eat up 1/2-2/3 my budget.

Same thing with Tom Ford -- I've tried on a few suits at Bergdorf and love the styling, but just can't justify ~4k for a single suit....yet.

wetnose

Reaction score
If you only need a suit once a week, you only need a $10K budget and even that is generous.

Take the $15K and do something with it: invest, travel or save.

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well I'm sure you make a lot of us under 30 envious of your 25k budget, but I would recommend Savile Row. The suit + airfare and hotel in london will probably put you at 7k I think, a second suit would put you at 10k. Then you could go to Italy and get something made there, and you'd probably still have 5-10k leftover for shoes and shirts
smile.gif

Hotchpotch

Reaction score
Two bespoke odd jackets (navy, plus a tweed).
One bespoke suit (navy).
Four or five pairs of MTM trousers in casual fabrics (assorted, but neutral coloured).
Seven MTM shirts (light blue and white, a couple with button down collars).
Accessories: Two or three conservative ties, white linen PS, purple paisley PS, lots of navy socks, and a solid stick umbrella.
Shoes: Black cap toe oxfords, dark brown wingtip derbies, brown suede monkstraps and some dark brown loafers.

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GoldenTribe

I've bided my time expanding my wardrobe; I started almost from scratch about two years ago (while in university) and I've spent a little under $15K at this point. My closet is worth more than $80K because I got good deals by NOT rushing into Hermes and dropping 500 bucks on two ties.

This +1

Hotchpotch

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GoldenTribe

If you've got $25k to spend, don't do this. You only need to have a look over the WAYWT thread with a discerning eye to understand why. It's better to focus on a small number of quality, but versatile items.

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hotchpotch
If you've got $25k don't do this. You only need to have a look over the WAYWT thread with a discerning eye to understand why. It's better to focus on a small number of quality, but versatile items.
Nothing about having a smaller budget prevents you from doing this.
musicboohoo[1].gif

Hotchpotch

Reaction score
Originally Posted by holymadness
Nothing about having a smaller budget prevents you from doing this.
musicboohoo[1].gif

I have no idea what that means.

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have no idea what that means.
Then your reading comprehension needs work.

There is no reason why you cannot "focus on a small number of quality, but versatile items" by shopping on B&S and ebay.

Hotchpotch

Reaction score
Originally Posted by holymadness
Then your reading comprehension needs work. There is no reason why you cannot "focus on a small number of quality, but versatile items" by shopping on B&S and ebay.
That's completely missing the point of what I was saying. I'm not denying that you could do that, but that you shouldn't, and that you only have to look at the WAYWT threat to understand why. I'm not trying to be a dick to people who don't have that much money to waste on clothes, but the majority of people on this site have a skewed sense of quality. A problem that's exacerbated by the general SF community's self-delusions, and lack of constructive criticism from those that know better. He's prepared to spend $25k, and for both risk and aesthetic reasons its worth spending it on a decent tailor.

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's completely missing the point of what I was saying. I'm not denying that you could do that, but that you shouldn't, and that you only have to look at the WAYWT threat to understand why.

I'm not trying to be a dick to people who don't have that much money to waste on clothes, but the majority of people on this site have a skewed sense of quality. A problem that's exacerbated by the general SF community's self-delusions, and lack of constructive criticism from those that know better. He's prepared to spend $25k, and for both risk and aesthetic reasons its worth spending it on a decent tailor.

I don't see why you shouldn't do that even if you have $25k to spend.

Most people lack good taste and an eye for quality. That's the case both on SF and in the real world. That doesn't mean that those with good taste shouldn't look for bargains simply they are surrounded by others who buy only because it's a good deal on a brand-name product. The problem is putting considerations of price/brand before considerations of style.

A tailor can't give you good taste any more than hanging out on SF can. At best he can make a garment that fits, which he should be able to do anyway by altering RTW clothing. In my opinion, there's no sense in investing that much money into a wardrobe when, with a little legwork, you can accomplish the same thing for much, much less.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads