• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ninetofivereject

Reaction score
Originally Posted by amerikajinda
Found out today that the Salvation Army closest to me is closing its doors... the manager told me the landlord is raising the rent $5,000. When he asked that they consider a smaller increase, the landlord raised it another $5,000!

Good news is he says it's going to be replaced by a Goodwill!
laugh.gif

landlord has got to be a jew,that is a jew move if i ever saw one.

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the poor quality of the pictures, my camera is ancient. Anyways, These are a couple recent finds for me. I have 3 or 4 stores I go to every two weeks that drain all my money. It's worth though, I'm sure. I'm a younger guy, so I try to dress up casually. The only jeans I have are very narrow and dark, nothing in blue. First up is a pair of beaten wingtips for $35 For me this is perfect because they will be my beater shoes. The store I got them from has a huge selection of every style, in every color, & in every size all for about $30.
P1010094.jpg
A beautiful paisley pocket square which I love, and wear with everything! $2
P1010097.jpg
A lovely paisley brooks brothers skinny tie in maroon, one of my favorites now, $6
P1010099.jpg
Just got this tie the other day with the wingtips, Red and blue pattern,different on both sides. "Premium" Italian Cloth. Now officially the softest thing I own. Yves Saint Laurent, $10
P1010100.jpg
And finally, the thing I am most proud of. A brown wool herringbone vest with matching pants (not shown, and also no blazer
frown.gif
) that fits me perfectly. The pants are narrow and trim, and the vest is in my size. From a brand I have never heard of (FINK), maybe I can get some leads to finding the matching jacket from the gentlemen on this forum. This was FREE because I traded in my clothes and picked this up. The pockets on the vest were still stitched shut. It was priced around $40 in total.
P1010108.jpg
P1010107.jpg
I have picked up some nice button down shirts in the past few months, but that will be for another time. I will have to post pictures in the wool vest and pants soon (hopefully the Texas weather will let me wear it some time in the near future!)

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After a quick look on their website, it looks like the brand isn't sold at Urban anymore. To be honest, I would be surprised if that were true however, because Urban in my opinion is a hipster store (at least in Ausin) and I could never see one dress in a wool 3 piece suit.

seanpatrickb

Reaction score
Thought I saw it on Urban Outfitters too, so I looked it up and looks like that is where its from, or was from. Judging by this I would guess a jacket doesn't exist and it was only the pants and vest.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those wingtips look to be a quality item. Clean, condition, polish, trees, and perhaps resoling and heeling if they need it, and you have a very nice shoe that could serve in many situations for years.

Please don't just neglect those and wear them like the SW&D guys. They deserve better.

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, they are a bit slippery as of now, I will probably have them repaired eventually . However, I did pick them up to be daily's because I don't want to wear our my nicer oxfords. I am looking forward to cleaning them up though.

As for the Fink brand, it looks like it used to be an Urban Outfitters brand. Regardless, it is my size exactly, and the fit is amazing. I have had a couple people ask if it was custom made for me.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's the maker on the longwings though, and what are your nicer oxfords? I suspect those are a pretty nice shoe.

And you should never wear nice leather shoes two days in a row. the moisture from your foot seeps in and makes the shoe wear out much faster.

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just checked and it's Florsheim. My "nicer" shoes aren't necessarily nicer so much as I paid a bit more for them. One is a chocolate brown pair of Banana Republic "oxfords" and a black pair of Wilke Rodriguez "oxfords" that my parents bought me 5 or 6 years ago and never wore. I use the term "oxford" loosely, as I won't pretend like I am well versed in particular terms at this point.

I realized that wearing shoes too often wears them out too much, so I am trying to expand my collection. My next purchase will probably some black wingtips or caps, and possibly some in oxblood.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought they might be. They have the 'look'. If those are the old ones and not the modern stuff, whith it looks like they are, then congrats, those are by far the nicest shoes you own. They churned those longwings out in the 50's and 60's, and back then those shoes were top quality, pretty much the best ready to wear stuff you could get in the US. You'll want to get those fixed up and take care of them. With proper care and periodic resoling, they have decades of life left. For reference, this is what a pair of those longwings can look like with a little love:
Florsheim001.jpg

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got them from a vintage store, so they are probably of that era. However, that is bittersweet, as I will now have to invest in another pair to beat on. At least next time I will check the name so I don't end up destroying a pair of Aldens. I'll reserve these for the days I have class (twice a week) and maybe a night out on the weekend.

jobro

Reaction score
Originally Posted by landshark
I got them from a vintage store, so they are probably of that era. However, that is bittersweet, as I will now have to invest in another pair to beat on. At least next time I will check the name so I don't end up destroying a pair of Aldens. I'll reserve these for the days I have class (twice a week) and maybe a night out on the weekend.

The way you speak it sounds like you're going to be bashing through the forest in them. Wear all your shoes in a rotation. Just take good care of them and wear them like they are normal shoes, not some rare animal skinned limited edition run.

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jobro
The way you speak it sounds like you're going to be bashing through the forest in them. Wear all your shoes in a rotation. Just take good care of them and wear them like they are normal shoes, not some rare animal skinned limited edition run.

Well there is a distinct possibility that it would be the case. But really, I was looking for something affordable to be my "go- to" shoe when I'm wearing denim or chinos on a casual day, i.e. school or an evening on the weekend. In light of their quality, I think I will be taking them to get resoling and heeling much sooner now.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thing is, once you get them fixed up, you can wear them on a regular basis just like you intended. Unless you are running through the jungle, they can take it. Just as long as you let them air out after each wear, like you should be doing with any leather shoe anyway. If you're really, really concerned, get a topy. And you should get a rubber heel either way IMO. Perhaps toe taps if you feel like it.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by amerikajinda
I know, right? They're already being charged $30,000/month in rent as it is! Now $40,000? The numbers just don't add up.

Didn't find a single thing there yesterday, either.
plain.gif

That just sounds like they had some issue with SA as a tenant...especially since a goodwill is coming in to take its place. Commercial real estate is not at all like apartment rentals and stuff like this happens all the time--generally the only people who pay full rent (in my area) are immigrant businesses that have not clued in and bargained down yet...everything else is open to a lot of negotiation.

I know of a particular business that just a few months ago underwent a similar change...landlord basically wanted them out over some ideological with the business owner (who owns several restaurants/markets/bakerys). They jacked up the rent to an unprofitable $/sq.ft. until the market decided not to renew the lease. Then they went ahead and offered the same lease to another market/cafe to open a second location at a $/sq.ft. that would almost guarantee a profit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads