• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RL Dress shirt - wierd fit, a lot sticks out on the back

Macintosh

Reaction score
Hey, I got a RL dress shirt that I really like at a sale from Macy's.

The fit is good, but I find that I just have a lot of material sticking out on the back, as if there is a pole holding it up there or something. I'm wondering why it fits that way, and how I could fix it?

Also, anybody have any good NY spots to get dress shirts? or good brands?

Macintosh

Reaction score
Oh man, I thought RL would be good stuff. I have a job interview at Apple soon, hope I could do something about this.

KW looks good but I'm just a college student, not balling enough to pay $100 a shirt. I thought $60 was pushing it lol

Could it be that this shirt was designed for people with big stomachs or something? I'm not exactly slim, but that's what it looks like.

Macintosh

Reaction score
Also, how do I find a good tailer, and how much time does it take?

dropout5

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Macintosh
Also, how do I find a good tailer, and how much time does it take?

what city are you in? do a search on style forum for a good tailor in your city. darts shouldn't take too long for a tailor to do. a couple of days, depending on how busy they are.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
so... your username is Macintosh but you dont' yet have a job with Apple...? just checking

just joking. Take it to a tailor, check yelp.com or something like that. Do side seam slimming or darts if you want it quite fitted.

lynch_king

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
youre not going to get any well fitting shirts from macys. sorry. youll have to get them altered. if you dont want alot of blousy material or extra shirt material hanging out of the tuck in area, start with some rlbl shirts, or go to kent wang, he has a website above. i have two shirts from him , fit very well.
Calvin Klein body slim fit fits perfect on me right of the box. yeah yeah its a crappy brand w/e it fits perfect on me. Calvin Klein white label also has some pretty nice ties, have a black skinny one from them, a slim blue one. built better than the yves saint laurent one i have.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
so... your username is Macintosh but you dont' yet have a job with Apple...? just checking

just joking. Take it to a tailor, check yelp.com or something like that. Do side seam slimming or darts if you want it quite fitted.

Side seam slimming is not recommended if the shirt has a breast pocket. Only use darts in that case (otherwise the breast pocket will tend to be pulled over to one side, and possibly at a downward angle). In my experience, anyway. I ruined a couple of decent shirts that way. Of course I shouldn't have bought them in the first place because they were TOO BIG, JUST LIKE THIS GUY'S SHIRT!

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imatlas
Side seam slimming is not recommended if the shirt has a breast pocket. Only use darts in that case (otherwise the breast pocket will tend to be pulled over to one side, and possibly at a downward angle). In my experience, anyway. I ruined a couple of decent shirts that way. Of course I shouldn't have bought them in the first place because they were TOO BIG, JUST LIKE THIS GUY'S SHIRT!

yep, breast pocket plus side seam is a fair point. I find if there's a lot of excess fabric it's the best place to start. Also leads well into slimming the arms. I find there's only so much I can reduce from adding darts. If it's that big that the pockets is moving drastically then yes, it's completely oversized. I either buy mine without pocket, or they're slimish and i'm just taking it down a bit further without any drastic changes

modagg

Reaction score
Classic fit polo ralph lauren dress shirts fit like garbage, but the custom fit ones work. I just don't understand why they're all not custom fit, who wants such blousy shirts?

Grenadier

Reaction score
Originally Posted by modagg
Classic fit polo ralph lauren dress shirts fit like garbage, but the custom fit ones work. I just don't understand why they're all not custom fit, who wants such blousy shirts?
Consumers at large.
fat-man-in-suit.jpg

lynch_king

Reaction score
Originally Posted by modagg

i have one that is classic fit too....its not that blousey. im sure alot of people exagerate on here.

its only like 6" too big, Ike behar shirts are huge though. tom ford and jil sander shirts have more play then ralph blue label classic fit so whats that tell ya........

crinklecut

Reaction score
Just have the pockets removed and put back on (if you want them) after side-seam alterations. Some people insist that you can see the holes, but I doubt this very much since, for example, some shirts come with pins stuck in them (particularly at the top button) which leave no trace after a wash.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads