• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

2010 NFL Draft

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ArteEtLabore14
The difference being that Joe Flacco and TJ both have real NFL experience and Whitehurst doesn't, therefore he is judged solely on his pre-season appearances ("relevant" or not).
You can't prove anything based on preseason stats. That's the point. You don't know how Charlie Whitehurst is going to do. Neither do I. I choose to be optimistic because he's got the physical tools to succeed, and a team that just made a pretty significant investment in him who wants him to succeed. If he needs training, he'll get it. You plainly state that he will fail because he sucked in the preseason in San Diego.
Anyways, this debate is academic anyway because there's no way for either of us to prove ourselves right (or the other wrong) until the season actually starts.
Um... no. Your argument:
Originally Posted by ArteEtLabore14
Let's be honest, no one is going to be behind Charlie Whitehurst for very long.
My argument:
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
A: As far as I know, you aren't an NFL scout. Neither am I. Neither one of us really knows jack **** about Charlie Whitehurst.
I win.
smile.gif

oneblood

Reaction score
Charlie Whitehurst is going to make 5 million dollars this year. That is my contribution to this discussion.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by oneblood
Charlie Whitehurst is going to make 5 million dollars this year. That is my contribution to this discussion.

I agree.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hard2Fit
Still can't believe my 'skins passed on the Terps' Campbell in the 4th.
I was surprised at this as well. Campbell must be more of a workout warrior than we thought.

ArteEtLabore14

Reaction score
You can't prove anything based on preseason stats. That's the point. You don't know how Charlie Whitehurst is going to do. Neither do I. I choose to be optimistic because he's got the physical tools to succeed, and a team that just made a pretty significant investment in him who wants him to succeed. If he needs training, he'll get it. You plainly state that he will fail because he sucked in the preseason in San Diego.

Um... no. Your argument:

My argument:

I win.
smile.gif

I believe I used the word 'prove'. As much as I believe that Charlie Whitehurst is going to be a flop, and no one is going to be behind him on the depth chart for very long, there's no way to know until we see what happens.

Therefore whatever arguments you or I may make are purely conjecture because unless you have a crystal ball that tells the future (do you?) we won't know until the NFL season.

And I never said "he'll fail because he was bad in pre-season" but I don't believe he will do well. This is based on what I've seen of him in pre-season (basically the only NFL playing time he's had) and what I saw of him in college.

Basically we've both seen the same amount of him as the other, whereas you're a Seahawks fan and you think he'll do well, and I'm not a Seahawks fan and I think he won't. Like I said, we'll see once the season comes around.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
No, you don't get it. You have already admitted to the fact that you don't know how Whitehurst is going to do. Therefore my point is proven, and yours remains conjecture and speculation.
smile.gif

It has nothing to do with how well or poorly I think he's going to do or not do. The fact that I'm optimisic, and you are not has nothing to do with it. I never said he was going to be a pro bowl QB. I said he has the tools to succeed, and I think the organization has a significant investment in making that happen. (Something the Chargers didn't have).

You just put forth the opinion that Whitehurst is going to fail, as if it was a fact. It's not.

Everything I said was already proven. Except that you were no scout. Which was then subsequently admitted by you in following posts.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Love the Raider's pick of Jared Veldheer in the Rd. 3.

First player out of my undergrad since 1980.

Go D2!

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bradford
Love the Raider's pick of Jared Veldheer in the Rd. 3.

First player out of my undergrad since 1980.

Go D2!

The Raiders actually picked up the biggest O-line studs in the draft as far as pure athletic talent/physicality is concerned. If they pan out this could be a very sweet draft for them.

Honestly I would have liked to have seen the 9ers get Veldheer and skip on the TE.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I'm still waiting for the Raiders to offer Usain Bolt a 15 million contract to play WR.
smile.gif

ArteEtLabore14

Reaction score
No, you don't get it. You have already admitted to the fact that you don't know how Whitehurst is going to do. Therefore my point is proven, and yours remains conjecture and speculation.
smile.gif

It has nothing to do with how well or poorly I think he's going to do or not do. The fact that I'm optimisic, and you are not has nothing to do with it. I never said he was going to be a pro bowl QB. I said he has the tools to succeed, and I think the organization has a significant investment in making that happen. (Something the Chargers didn't have).

You just put forth the opinion that Whitehurst is going to fail, as if it was a fact. It's not.

Everything I said was already proven. Except that you were no scout. Which was then subsequently admitted by you in following posts.

The 3rd round draft pick they used on wasn't a significant investment? They didn't want to see him succeed? Doesn't really make sense to me.

I put forth the opinion that he was going to fail as what it is, my opinion.

I'm not sure what point you think you've made. If your only point is that "he has the tools to succeed" and that the Seahawks have a "significant investment in making that happen" then sure I'll agree with you.

But I will make the further argument that every player drafted in the NFL has the tools to succeed, and every team that drafted that player has a significant investment in making that happen. It's really a "no duh" statement. They wouldn't have been drafted if NFL teams didn't think the player could succeed, and that they could help them with it.

My OPINION is that Charlie Whitehurst is going to be a career backup, but the FACT of the matter is that we won't know until we see him play.

/discussion

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
You made no mention of your opinion being an opinion. You said he was going to fail. You said he was going to fail because he's been unimpressive when you've seen him. I called BS.

You also said that the Chargers drafted him to push Rivers. Thats a different type of investment than Giving up a few hundred draft points and ten million dollars with the expectation that he's going to be the next starting QB.

They never intended to Groom Whitehurst to start. They fully committed themselves to Rivers.

There's a big difference between hoping someone succeeds, and putting them in the best position to succeed.

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Man the Sea Hawks just signed Whitehurst. The only way I see that ending is poorly. That guy is going to fail at the pro level.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NorCal
Man the Sea Hawks just signed Whitehurst. The only way I see that ending is poorly. That guy is going to fail at the pro level.

Welcome to last month. Next... the 2010 nfl draft!

ArteEtLabore14

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NorCal

+1 lol

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
You guys are assholes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads